Old 04-25-2009, 10:43 AM   #1  

Height: 4'11"

Default Trigger Food Victory Lap!

I am done with fast food, chips, candy, desserts, fried food and junk food. I've already had more than my fair share for my lifetime. These are the foods that are making me fat. I didn't get this weight grazing on carrots. Every time I eat them, I crave them more. And to be absolutely honest, I don't even like 98% of these foods. I love the anticipation of eating them. I use them to numb any big feelings I'm having, or to relieve boredom. I've deluded myself into believing that they make celebrations better. But as for the taste, if I really slow down and taste them? I don't like them. They're too sweet, too salty, too greasy.

Do I plan to cut them out forever? No I do not. Because that makes me want to run right out and buy a gallon of ice cream, and a bag of Doritos. Also, I think the chances of me not eating junk for the next 50 years are zero. So what I plan to do is avoid them like I avoid stepping in dog poo, but if I do eat them, it is absolutely no big deal, just wipe the poo off my shoe. Does that make any sense? Let me try to explain. I plan to never eat them again, but if I slip in some way, I am giving that no power whatsoever to make me feel bad. Because that makes me feel worse, and eat those foods more. So while I'm avoiding these foods like contaminated water or a contagious disease, if I eat some, pfft absolutely meaningless.

OK, sorry to be so long winded, I'm wrapping it up now. I'm also ignoring the critic in my head who is telling me this is a stupid idea. Shut up, Critic.

Imagine you're at a large track stadium with all of the people at 3FC sitting in the stands. You are going to take a victory lap around the track (burns more calories than a hug)!

Take a victory lap if:
  1. Every time you resist eating junk food, or whatever food is a trigger for you, tell us what the food was, and how you let the temptation roll right off your back. Or how you hung on for dear life, but managed to pass it up.
  2. You slipped, but kicked your guilt to the curb. Just waved it away like an annoying fly and said, "Go bother someone who is a slave to that stuff, because I'm not, tra la la!"

We need a pat on the back for resisting temptation, or not letting guilt get to us! I think it will help motivate us, and help us "just say no" if we know there's a crowd of people to cheer us on as we round the track!

Hooray! You did it, so take a victory lap!
thinpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 10:44 AM   #2  

OK I'll start. Yesterday I didn't know what to make for dinner, I need to go to the store, and thought about the drive thru at Sonic. Then I said, nope, not an option, period. We ate grilled cheese on whole wheat bread, with lots of fresh veggies and fruit.

Then last night we went to the movies where I did not have any candy or soda. I refuse to pay concession stand prices for that stuff, and we were too late to stop at the gas station on the way. So hooray for being cheap!

2 victory laps for me
Old 04-25-2009, 10:55 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 255/see ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Well, mine is a kicking guilt to the curb story... I went for a run yesterday with my friend who ended up blowing out her ankle on the trail, she had to hobble home. Feeling sorry for ourselves we went for coffee where a blueberry bar (like the date bar at Starbucks which is LOADED in calories and fat) was calling my name. I wish I could say I resisted, I didn't BUT, I only bought one, and split in half to share with her, that's Victory A, and then Victory B, I knew I hadn't worked hard enough during my run so I came home and worked up a sweat aerating my lawn MANUALLY (I have the blisters to prove it). So, I added the slip-up into my plan and I don't feel guilty for it. I will go for a big long run tomorrow and carry on
Leeesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 11:50 AM   #4  
WW on-line since 1/1/2009

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'5"

LOVE this thread!
Jennelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 11:57 AM   #5  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

What a great idea!!!!

When I was grocery shopping yesterday I had to go down the frozen pizza aisle for blueberries. I really really REALLY wanted to search for a low cat pizza and SOMEHOW work it into my calories. But I didn't. I got my blueberries and amscrammed the heck outta there!
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 03:02 PM   #6  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Quote:
thinpossible originally posted: am done with fast food, chips, candy, desserts, fried food and junk food. I've already had more than my fair share for my lifetime. These are the foods that are making me fat. I didn't get this weight grazing on carrots. Every time I eat them, I crave them more.
That is the story of my life!! I am like an alcoholic except my addition is junk and sugar instead of alcohol, 1 is too many and 1000 is not enough.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 04:15 PM   #7  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfmama View Post
I really really REALLY wanted to search for a low cat pizza and SOMEHOW work it into my calories.
Cat pizza IS hard to resist

It's amazing how, a year in, my trigger foods aren't in the least attractive to me anymore. In fact, healthy alternatives to my trigger foods aren't that attractive; I constantly evaluate them for nutritional content, and reject them if they don't meet my standards. Case in point: Last night was my "free" night, which means I eat yummy healthy food that I want, but I let myself have more of it. I'd planned to have a cup of no-sugar ice cream. But when it came time to have it, I decided to have something with better nutrition instead (cup of milk, cocoa powder, agave syrup, with a side of a spoonful of peanut butter). And even while I was making this better choice, I was kind of laughing at myself for not being able to make a junky choice! I just don't want the junk at ALL anymore. Amazing.
WarMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 05:27 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeesa View Post
I only bought one, and split in half to share with her, that's Victory A, and then Victory B, I knew I hadn't worked hard enough during my run so I came home and worked up a sweat aerating my lawn MANUALLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfmama View Post
I really really REALLY wanted to search for a low cat pizza and SOMEHOW work it into my calories. But I didn't. I got my blueberries and amscrammed the heck outta there!
That's great! I bet you feel a lot better than if you'd eaten it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarMaiden View Post
It's amazing how, a year in, my trigger foods aren't in the least attractive to me anymore. ...I just don't want the junk at ALL anymore. Amazing.
I hope I can say that this time next year!

Last edited by thinpossible; 04-25-2009 at 05:27 PM.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:15 PM   #9  
yay! summertime!

S/C/G: 265/235/135

OK, I do feel pretty good about this one!

My husband had a really lousy weekend, culminating in hurting his back so that he can hardly get out of a chair without help. I wanted to do something good tonight so the weekend ended on a more positive note and offered to go fetch any restaurant food that appealed to him.

He chose food from Olive Garden --- and oh, yes! there are several "trigger foods" that call that joint home. So I just fetched manicotti for the kid and lasagna (a personal fav) for the husband, along with surprise tiramisu for both. I even stayed in the kitchen while they ate, although not at the table with them. For me, this was a big victory!

So, putting on my running shoes, taking my lap and waving at all the cheering supporters from 100+. We really can do this together!
Numina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 07:12 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

This is a great approach!
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:07 AM   #11  

Awesome job Numina

I had a major craving for junk Friday and Saturday, and didn't eat any! Friday I ate raw snap peas instead, and nothing on Sat.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:22 AM   #12  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinpossible View Post

I had a major craving for junk Friday and Saturday, and didn't eat any! Friday I ate raw snap peas instead, and nothing on Sat.
Atta girl!!!! THAT'S the way to do it.

I LOVE sugar snap peas. Had them myself this weekend. I cleaned them all up and put them in a plastic container. My whole family nibbled at them all weekend long. There's none left. I won't buy them again till the weekend though. It's a treat I save specifically for then.

As you can see, we've definitely "re-defined" what a "treat" is in our home. And I ADORE it.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:53 AM   #13  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Sometimes I get distracted by the first part of the posting and don't read the entire thing as I should. I did that with this one and failed to get the real message of taking a victory lap for resist eating junk food, or whatever food is a trigger for us! It is a great idea and I am sorry that I did not support it as I should have. I love the imagery!

Well, I am now!
This past weekend one son brought home pizza and the other made brownies. I just totally ignored them and stayed with my planned meals and snacks.

A victory lap for me!
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:15 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 285/275.4/125

Quote:
Originally Posted by time2lose View Post
This past weekend one son brought home pizza and the other made brownies. I just totally ignored them and stayed with my planned meals and snacks.

A victory lap for me!
And cheerleaders!

Both of those are big trigger foods for me and I would definitely have had trouble resisting. GREAT JOB!

Donna D., Hemet, CA
ladynredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:20 AM   #15  
yay! summertime!

S/C/G: 265/235/135

Pizza AND brownies? Both in the house on the same weekend? And you just walked right by them BOTH??

TimeToLose, you better take TWO victory laps! Great job!

Last edited by Numina; 04-27-2009 at 09:25 AM.
Numina is offline   Reply With Quote