Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-07-2009, 09:32 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 165/see ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

Unhappy Fell of the wagon BAD

I am so mad at myself. I joined Metabolic Research Center last week and have been feeling great the past week. Then, I have been babysitting the past few days, and even though I bought all my food and supplements and everything, I gave myself permission to have a root beer and a brownie and now I can't stop eating. There is healthy salad and tofu in the fridge and I CAN'T STOP EATING.

Why does this happen? I went to MRC Wednesday, down 3 pounds, Now I don't want to go back.

Why, when I felt good eating well all week, did I make such AWFUL decisions the past 2 days? Why do I tell myself "I deserve a brownie, it's ok its not going to hurt anything...' Does this mean I think I DESERVE to feel bad?

Will I ever be able to eat a brownie again without going off on a binge???

I think part of it is that I don't feel like eating what I made from MRC (I am in the cleansing early part - the food is getting BORING).

I am going to spend the rest of the night reading posts and trying to get myself on track. help?
badbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 09:55 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 219/TICKER/145

Height: 5'10"

Yes, someday you will be able to eat a brownie without feeling the need to binge, but what's important about the past couple of days is that you know that you can't do it yet. Just remind yourself why you're on plan to begin with. I like to read success stories when I'm feeling down on myself.

Everyone is going to have bad days, you just can't let it get you down, and depress you enough that you stop trying! We're all here for the same reason and everyone is going through the same things that you are!
Keep me posted on how things go and good luck!!!
whiskeygirl862 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 01:06 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

In my own experience, sugary/carby foods trigger me to eat more and more. What worked for me was nearly completely cutting out those foods (stuff like crackers, plain white bread, sweets, cookies, pretzels, soda) and then much much later slowly introducing them back in.

I thought I had a huge problem with food, turns out I only had a huge problem with some foods. I have posted about this before, so sorry to repeat to those that have read it before - but I didn't realize I was in prison, until I set myself free. Greatly reducing those foods nearly eliminated all my cravings/binging (I mean, I still get the occasional juicy hamburger/chocolate craving) but it is NOTHING like the nearly uncontrollable feelings I used to fight with (and lose).

I am not familiar with your plan, but I dont think a plan of boring food sounds very good. One of the other reasons I was successful was because I replaced my favorite foods with new foods, I liked nearly as much. I still love to eat and still look forward to all my meals. This morning was Greek yogurt with honey and half a package of sliced strawberries. I got up - happy to eat breakfast.

How I lost the weight and how I have kept it off for 4 years looks nearly exactly the same. In my failed 20 year diet history, I wanted to "diet then stop." I hope your plan has a good system for transitioning you "to normal." A huge eye opener for me was realizing I had to change my normal.

Good luck.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 01:50 AM   #4  
Starting Again

S/C/G: 280/272/160

Height: 5'8"

When I lost weight before, I completely cut off all my trigger foods until I felt able to control myself more. For me it was chips and soda. When I felt stronger, I still didn't go out and buy a large soda or a big bag of chips. If I felt like I deserved a treat, I would go to the store and buy a small bag of chips, and a small soda. That way if I wanted more, I would have to make an effort to get in my car, drive to the store and buy more. I knew even then that if I kept a large bag of chips I would rationalize serving after serving until the bag was gone.
If you want a brownie, don't make a batch or buy a large quantity at the store. Actually drive to a bakery or the store and buy 1 brownie, and don't eat it in the car, bring it home and actually sit down to enjoy it. You could go a step further and make it an event. Tell yourself if you do well all week, you can buy yourself 1 brownie when you are out running your errands for the week, and you can have it for dessert, or while you are watching your favorite tv show or giving yourself a facial, or getting a pedicure. That way the brownie becomes part of a series of events. Then the next day you have to make a sacrafice like walking an extra 15 minutes on the treadmill.
Iheartsushi418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 08:05 AM   #5  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
I gave myself permission to have a root beer and a brownie
Under what possible logic did you decide that this was okay the first week on your program?

Actions like these are self-sabotage. Please understand that in the early phases of your program, you cannot "give yourself permission" to go off plan.

MRC is a program you have to pay for, yes? So you're not just hurting your weight loss, you're hurting your wallet. Agh.

Start again in the morning. Lesson learned. Stay with your program--or find another that suits you better--but don't tell yourself those lies anymore!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 08:42 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 307/lost 140+ lbs/125

I have to agree with JayEll

I'm also not sure how you thought on the first week this was okay, financially or weight-loss wise

On the other hand, if you kept the binge to one incident *(the brownies & soda), in the long term, it won't cause that much damage. Just start up again at the NEXT meal, NOT the next day (and give yourself further license to binge more unnecessary calories).

If you're still feeling hungry, just plan out smaller meals throughout the day so you can "keep eating."

Honestly, if I were you, I'd determine what my trigger foods are (i.e. sweets) and stay away from them until you are more comfortable in your MRC eating plan. That way, you're more than likely to avoid another unnecessary binge

If you can, don't keep any temptations in your house (i.e. refrigerator, cupboards, etc) for the time being. You're beginning a new eating program, so the less temptations you have to deal with, the better!

~ tea

Last edited by teawithsunshine; 03-08-2009 at 08:46 AM.
teawithsunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 08:20 PM   #7  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

In giving your self the ok to have the brownie and soda, I also wonder if you have been hungry? Lots of diets in the early phase, are very restrictive and leave you hungry, open to binges etc. I also sometimes self-sabotage when I have a weight loss, so I know how it feels. I am doing better, less self-sabotage than before, and it helps, as i plan for these times.
Get back on plan, stop the waste of money, and stick to your plan. you can do it, just stem the flow of guilt
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 08:00 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 199/ticker/160

Height: 5' 9.5"

I'm new on this forum, and on day 6 of the MRC plan. I found it very restrictive at first too. What helped get me through the first four days was the recipe thread here! I found some tasty and creative items that kept it interesting and some wonderful tips for cravings (cooking some parm cheese on a skillet for chip cravings for example). I've spent the last week planning my shopping trips by looking at the recipe thread, just be careful of which items you can have on your menu (i'm on the green menu). Then, FORGIVE yourself, and move on! One failure does not mean you've failed completely! You can do it, just pull your strength out and make up your mind to do it.
PoNdHopPer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 08:49 AM   #9  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

What in the heck are you thinking??? Isn't the MRC VERY expensive? Root beer and a brownie is not a reward the first week of a new and very expensive food plan. Basically you just flushed your money down the toilet and food down your mouth.

You know, maybe you should quit baby sitting. For some reason when I was younger (in HS) and I babysat I would get really depressed and binge too. I finally had to say no when asked because I always had a problem with food at other peoples houses.

I don't normally read posts like this because I feel everyone is too nice, and they give people teetering on the edge (like me sometimes) permission to binge...I was very happy to see not everyone telling you it was totally fine to binge.

Last edited by Lori Bell; 04-25-2009 at 08:57 AM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 11:04 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 199/ticker/160

Height: 5' 9.5"

I don't believe badbaum should quit babysitting by any means. I think one of the objectives of MRC is to adjust your food to fit your lifestyle, not change your life to avoid food you can't resist. That won't work because she'll face temptations in many jobs and situations. I think she should use this as an opportunity to reflect on what works and what doesn't and change her perspective on food. Yes MRC is very expensive IMO, but she can learn not to beat herself up for a slip up and just move on. That's the vital lesson to learn. That way, eventually, she can have a brownie as part of a HEALTHY diet and not feel guilty or let it lead to a tieraid binge. We're on this forum for support, not to blow sunshine and smoke at people...so it's important to be nice and courteous, but not ream them for a mistake. Again, that's MHO.
PoNdHopPer is offline   Reply With Quote