South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 04-24-2009, 02:06 PM   #1  
Just Beachy...

S/C/G: 210/188/164 (mini goal)

Height: 5'6"

Default Ideas for sauce consumption?

I have been devouring spaghetti squash with my homemade tomato sauce every opportunity that I get. It has been my ultimate comfort food on SBD. Unfortunately, spaghetti squash is getting harder and harder for me to find and the ones that I do find have been $9-10 each! So...Any other Phase 1-friendly ways to eat my sauce?? The only other thing that I can think of is with brown rice (or obviously whole grain pasta) for Phase 2. I am out of Phase 1 ideas.

TIA (I hope)!! I am normally really good about thinking outside the box but I am sooooo stumped. I need my sauce! I'd eat it by the spoonful if I could but that wouldn't exactly be filling.
262mom2three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 02:10 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

What about a mess of other veggies, like zucchini, mushrooms and bell peppers. Or try shredded cabbage or broccoli slaw maybe.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 02:50 PM   #3  

How about chicken with some parmesan and mozzarella cheese(low fat)?
By the way how about sharing your sauce recipe? I am new here and could use ideas too.
mynameismom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 04:39 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 212/172.4/150

Height: 5'9"

i make an eggplant lasagna about once per week with my homemade sauce. just follow a regular lasagna recipe and sub eggplant slices, grilled in a little oil until tender, for the noodles. i can give u my recipe if u want, its from the sb website. another idea is chicken catatore, or in my case, tofu catatore. just cook the meat/tofu, cover in sauce and bake
baristamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 05:03 PM   #5  
Just Beachy...

Thank you so much, ladies! Love the ideas!!

Mynameismom:
Sounds awesome! The sauce recipe that I've been making about two times a week (!!) and freezing (what is the point??) is the one that I posted in Entrees-Ph1 under "Spaghetti Squash all' Elsa". Sooo easy and soooo good! I just simmer it a little longer to deepen the flavors and thicken the sauce. Sometimes I make the whole dish according to the recipe but I usually just pour some sauce on the plain spaghetti squash...saves fat/calories. I make another awesome sauce as well but this has been the one that everyone in my house has been eating.

Baristamon: I'd LOVE your recipe! Especially if it is from the SBD site b/c I am always afraid that I am going to over-cheese something. TY!!
Old 04-24-2009, 06:05 PM   #6  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I use NSA spaghetti sauce with chicken to make a chicken cacciatore, with mushrooms, peppers, garlic & onions sauteed in olive oil. Sprinkle some Parmesan on top and it's heavenly. Ground turkey is also good with the sauce and some zucchini or broccoli. Portobello mushrooms would also be tasty.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 09:44 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

I like to saute mushrooms, zucchini, yellow squash and maybe add some onions and peppers, then put sauce and parmesan on top.

Or, take a big zucchini and use a carrot peeler to make long thin strips. Steam them and they are kind of like fettucine noodles. Sauce is good on that.

I like sauce on chicken with mozzerella, too. Or make some yummy lean ground turkey meatballs (add some spinach to them) and have a dish of those with sauce.

Or you can slice big zucchinis or eggplants very thin, steam, and use to make a lasagna (instead of noodles use the veggie "sheets") and layer sauce, ricotta or lite cottage cheese, some turkey italian sausage if you like. Bake and enjoy.
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 09:49 PM   #8  
Just Beachy...

Oh my!!! Such wonderful suggestions!!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! Cannot wait to try them!!! Thank you!!!!!
Old 04-24-2009, 11:47 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 212/172.4/150

Height: 5'9"

Default Modified eggplant "manicotti"

The original recipe called for thinly slicing and rolling cooked eggplant slices around the ricotta filling, baking and topping with sauce. I found the process a bit annoying, so i turned it into lasagna this way:

Ingredients:
1 large eggplant, cut into 1/4-1/2 inch slices (You can do it lengthwise, but I find the circular slices easier to cook)
2 tbls olive oil
1 tbls fresh time, chopped fine (i use dried)
2 tsp dried oregano
1 cup lf ricotta
1/4 cup parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish
1/2 cup part skim mozzarella, shredded
1 egg
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350. Mix ricotta with parmesan, egg, oregano, and 1/4 tsp salt. Mix well and spread in oiled 9-in square baking dish. Bake for about 15 min, or until set and slightly browned on top. remove and stir with fork to break up mixture, cover to keep warm and set aside.
Turn oven up to 450. you can either brush eggplant slices with oil, sprinkle with thyme, lay out on cookie sheets and roast until tender, or you can pan fry in a little oil until tender. I prefer the pan; place slices on paper towels to drain and sprinkle with thyme while they cool enough to handle.
Now you're ready to put your lasagna together. Start with a little sauce, eggplant slices, cheese mixture, more sauce, more slices, more cheese, more sauce! Finish with a sprinkling of parm and shredded mozz, bake for about 10 minutes, until the cheese is melty and beginning to brown.

It is a lot of cheese, but the cheese is the protein in this dish, and its mostly ricotta. I just don't have any other cheese on the days I eat this. And it is truly delicious!
baristamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 12:00 AM   #10  
Backpedaling!!

S/C/G: 276/250/176

Height: 5'4''

Oh my goodness, I can't believe what you are being charged for squash! I'm afraid I have no suggestions, I just wanted to register my horror at those prices - a medium squash (two servings worth) here in NC is less than two dollars. I'm going to go out and buy one tomorrow just to celebrate that I can get them 'cheep!'
freshmanweightorbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 10:15 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 151.5/149.9/135

Height: 5'4"

It might sound icky, but I often mix sauce with some kind of bean, and have poached or friend egg on top. It's surprisingly delicious, and a good way to get AM veggies. I know some people who poach eggs right in the sauce, but I have never given that a try...
swandive81 is offline   Reply With Quote