Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-23-2009, 09:09 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/168/165

Height: 5'8"

Default I may have just done something stupid

I just placed an ad on craigslist for an exercise partner in my area. I buy and sell things on there quit often and I see lots of ads in the Activities area but mostly its personal trainers getting small groups together, I don't have the money for that plus most is several miles away. I miss the gym, I miss having people to talk with ect, I really lose all motivation when i have to work out alone. Please pray I don't get contacted by a psycho
willow650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:13 AM   #2  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Just try to go about it in the safest way possible. Good luck. I know how it is to want a workout friend. I have two--Rihanna and Britney..LOL.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:17 AM   #3  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Height: 5'4"

Good luck. I hope you find someone. I'm odd in that I usually like to workout on my own. However, I just started doing morning walks with one of my neighbours and I can see that it could be a good thing (ie. encourage me to get out of bed on mornings I don't feel like it).
RealCdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:18 AM   #4  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

I would check out Meetup.com for exercise groups in your area too

Just please be safe with meeting whoever answers your ad!
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:20 AM   #5  
WW on-line since 1/1/2009

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'5"

I strongly, strongly, strongly advise you to take the post down. It's just not worth the risk.
Jennelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:23 AM   #6  

S/C/G: HW 176/SW 163/CW ticker/GW 120

Height: 5'4"

the vast majority of people on craigslist are just normal people. obviously, just exercise caution ie: don't agree to meet up in a hotel room ;-) and you should be fine.
but also the meetup idea is a good one as well.
sws19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:31 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sws19 View Post
the vast majority of people on craigslist are just normal people. obviously, just exercise caution ie: don't agree to meet up in a hotel room ;-) and you should be fine.
but also the meetup idea is a good one as well.
well ok, I will take your warning under advisement but it may limit my options....LOL

I live in a neighborhood, with lots of other neighborhoods around, a pretty rural area and there are always people out jogging, walking, or riding their bikes so hoping its on of those people the responds, I did say females only so hopefully that will limit the weirdos,also I didnt leave my number, they can only contact me through email
Old 04-23-2009, 09:32 AM   #8  

This is my ad...

I had to cancel my gym membership and have been trying to exercise at home but I really lack motivation. I miss the friendships of the gym. I would really like to find someone to exercise with so we can motivation each other. I am a Navy wife and mom of 3. My 2 children are at school during the day and my youngest is home with me until school starts in August. I have been trying to work up to running a 5k and have been dabbling in the Couch To 5K program, also the 100 push ups and 200sit ups challenges, I am just starting out with those. (you can Google these training challenges) All of these things I can do in the mornings either in my neighborhood or the track at Navy Base and I also like to ride my bike the evenings any where from 8 miles to 12. I have been on weight loss journey since Dec 2nd and have lost around 30lbs and still have about 20 or so to go. If you are in the Argyle area and want a walking or jogging partner, please email me

(Females Only Please)
Old 04-23-2009, 09:35 AM   #9  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Be sure to meet in a public place and don't give personal information (like where you live) to the person(s) until you get to know them.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 10:35 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 260/200/170

Height: 5'9"

Hi Willow650,

A few months ago I had to cancell my gym membership too, unemployed and all. But for now my schedule is too crazy for a workout buddy, however I did stumble across a website that may help you...http://weightlossbuddy.com . When I'm perm. employed again I may look at it again.

It seems alot safer to find a workout buddy here than Craigslist.
Jenn

Last edited by Violin Jenn; 04-23-2009 at 10:38 AM.
Violin Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 11:10 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 287/215/149

Height: 5' 5"

You know, there are psychos everywhere, but most people are very very nice. I sell things on Craigslist all the time, rent apartments, etc., give away free stuff I hate to throw away. The weird guy on TV targeted girls who were advertising under "erotic".

It's just like dating ... just be cautious. I think Craigslist is wonderful.
CJZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 01:06 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Willow, you wrote a good ad, and the fact that you limited to females only and that you are going to be exercising in an active neighborhood from a rural community should drastically reduce any risks. Plus, as others have said, Craigslist is made up of mostly regular ol' people. Good luck! I hope you find someone great to exercise with!
Jacqui_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 01:35 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 145/ticker/125

Height: 5' 2"

Quote:
I did say females only so hopefully that will limit the weirdos
While I agree that the majority of people on Craigslist are not psychos, this particular precaution doesn't mean much. It's easy for a crazy to sign his name "Amy" in an email and sympathize as a kindred mother of two. People impersonate other genders/ages/whatever all the time in cyberspace; heck, I know a couple of guys who pretend to be girls in chatrooms just for the kicks and giggles of stringing other guys along (or getting favors in online games; guys tend to give discounted virtual healing items to 'girls' with cutesy nicknames and vie for party members with female sprites).

Instead of relying on the internet to find a buddy, have you asked your neighbors or kids' friends' moms if they're up for some running time in the mornings?
tkm256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 01:44 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkm256 View Post

Instead of relying on the internet to find a buddy, have you asked your neighbors or kids' friends' moms if they're up for some running time in the mornings?
If i had the option, I would have went with it already. It would be very difficult to run into any problems. At the time of morning and evening I am looking to meet, the side walks are busy with kids walking to school, moms pushing strollers, bike riders, joggers ect. Its very public and very open, always people around, between the 2 schools, small shopping center, 2 pools and several subdivisions.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:52 PM   #15  
On a journey

S/C/G: 376/we'll see/180

Height: 5'2"

Your ad looks fine to me. I also sell and buy a lot of stuff on craigslist, and you can run into some creepies, but if you're honest and level headed, you should be fine.

On a side note, I met my significant other on craigslist. We just celebrated our 2 year anniversary and are still going strong. That's the beauty of that site, you never really know what you're going to get!
NorCal Jen is offline   Reply With Quote