South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 04-22-2009, 07:16 PM   #1  

Default Empty inside

This is my 2nd day on Sb and I think things are going ok but I feel empty inside. Im not hungry but I can definitly feel that there is something missing. Im wondering if eating carbs were more of a comfort thing for me than a hunger issue.
Anyone have this?
blueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 07:32 PM   #2  
no longer single

S/C/G: 225/220.5/150

Height: 5'5"

hmmm...i don't know if anything was missing but i definately wasn't hungry for the first week of phase 1. i basically ate cause i knew i was supposed to have 3 meals and 2 snacks.
me4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 07:45 PM   #3  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Empty inside like less bloated? I definitely wasn't too hungry on Phase I either.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 08:25 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW: 207/CW: 202/GW: 177

Height: 5'4"

Question

This is interesting because I was going to post something similar yesterday. I really think I am eating enough and believe me I drink enough water to keep a small boat afloat, but I still feel hungry. It hasn't really hindered me at all, but it's kind of annoying and I was going to ask:

"Does the hunger ever go away?"

I know if I tried to eat what I used to I would be full in an instant, but maybe I'm not choosing dense enough foods. Or maybe it is the empty feeling blueeyes is talking about.

Any veterans have this issue?

Yowsers!
losin it for good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 08:32 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

If I get what you are saying, then I think I can relate. I am redoing Ph1 and am on day 3 today, and I was kinda feeling this way earlier. It's like there's a hole to fill, similar to when you are hungry, but you know you are not hungry, and if you eat cheese or vegetables, it doesn't do anything to fill the hole. What you really want is that feeling you get when you eat something sweet or starchy, and your blood sugar rises, and it's kind of a comfort thing at the same time. If that's what you mean, hang in there, because once your blood sugar levels stabilize, this feeling will go away.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:34 PM   #6  

Im not hungry but like Scmoodle says I miss the sugar/starch thing. Maybe its I miss my sugar/starch "high"
Im very irritable/angsty/anxious and I really cant sleep.

I hope it gets better soon.
blueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 06:04 AM   #7  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Are you making sure to get legumes and dairy? Those are carbs and will help if it's carb withdrawal.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 07:34 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Withdrawals suck. Which is why I ask myself why I keep wanting to go through them over and over again...
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 10:36 AM   #9  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmoodle View Post
Withdrawals suck. Which is why I ask myself why I keep wanting to go through them over and over again...
Amen, Schmoo! It's the number 1 reason not to go off plan often...it's horrible to go through the withdrawals again!

There are several things that could be going on here, BlueEyes (and others).
  1. Are you getting enough vegetables? The fiber in them helps you feel the sensation of being "full" while protein makes you feel full longer. You need both at every meal.
  2. You could be realizing how much you've relied on food for comfort. Some of us eat to fill the "hole in our heart" that no food can every truly fill. It's a tough problem! There are many ways to deal with this, but they take time. If you think you're dealing with that, post about it and everyone can give you ideas. Many of them involve figuring out how to comfort yourself without using food--like taking baths, pampering yourself, telling friends/partner that we need a hug/cuddle, and spending time with kids or pets.
  3. You could be missing the comfort of food. This is a lot like the last problem, however, there are ways to continue to find comfort in food, even in P1. Two of my favorites are tea (Stash makes a Decaf Caramel Creme that is DIVINE with a little 2% milk and SF caramel syrup) and refried beans with LF cheese and SF salsa.
  4. Eating sugar not only raises your blood sugar level, but also raises the levels of chemicals in your brain, such as seratonin and beta endorphins, which create a feeling of well being, confidence, happiness, and peace. Maybe you're missing that? If so, as Ruth said, you need to ensure that you're getting the good carbs that are allowed in Phase 1 (beans, peppers, tomatoes, dairy) and also that you're getting good fats, which help your brain. I don't think that this issue would lead to your feeling empty, but it might lead to feeling depressed, moody, disatisfied, anxious, etc. If it continues, you might want to consider talking with a doctor or counselor--there are many people who suffer from depression and/or anxiety who have "self-medicated" with sugar. Just a thought...
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 04:25 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 212/172.4/150

Height: 5'9"

i definately feel this way on phase 1. i think of it at my body preparing to shrink! I have been very hungry this week, also, and having irrational thoughts (I want to eat butter bread!! I want ice cream!! ) but i'm weathering the storm, because i know it will get better, and rationality will set in.
baristamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 04:49 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 254/242/199first

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by baristamon View Post
i definately feel this way on phase 1. i think of it at my body preparing to shrink! .

Don't forget the big thing on this plan is to NEVER feel hungry. Make sure you feed that hunger with some veggies or legumes.
lonegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 11:50 PM   #12  

I know I'm not supposed to feel hungry, but its weird cause i really am hungry all the time. I will eat, and then an hour or 2 later I feel famished. I think its just my body/metabolism trying to work themselves out and get used to not being gorged on a regular basis!
Old 04-26-2009, 07:49 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 254/242/199first

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by baristamon View Post
I know I'm not supposed to feel hungry, but its weird cause i really am hungry all the time. I will eat, and then an hour or 2 later I feel famished. I think its just my body/metabolism trying to work themselves out and get used to not being gorged on a regular basis!
If it is every hour or 2 then have a small protein rich snack...like say a small bowl of cottage cheese or even a cheese stringer and maybe a V-8. It will get you through and has very few calories.
lonegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 06:20 PM   #14  

Thanks, lonelygirl. I've made it thru week one, and the constant hunger has subsided. Like I said, it was just my body trying to get used to the idea that I wasn't feeding it candy bars and donuts every few hours
Old 04-27-2009, 03:30 PM   #15  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Barista, I agree--I think it's the blood sugar leveling out. It tries to keep bouncing up and down and it takes time for it to realize it isn't going to be doing it anymore.
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote