Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 04-20-2009, 10:10 PM   #1  

Default Personality disorders

This sure adds a little spice to my attempts to lose weight - I have been diagnosed with Avoidant Personality Disorder and Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, both of which were much stronger at a younger age than they are now, luckily for me.

However, possibly an even bigger challenge is dealing with my live-in boyfriend who has Borderline Personality Disorder - do we ever make an interesting couple! I can't even begin to describe the kinds of challenges we both deal with daily, and we'd never be able to survive this way if we weren't both committed to doing our best for ourselves and each other. Still, at the end of the day it's often nearly impossible not to just collapse into a chair and stuff my face with comfort food, preferably something I don't have to cook myself.

Anyone dealing with any similar issues? I think the key to this relationship is that we can relate to each other so very well, so maybe the same idea will apply to weight loss.
Nepenthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:22 PM   #2  
On my way to a new me!

S/C/G: 205/168/145

Height: 5'6 ~ 44

i've been diagnosed with borderline personality disorder, depression, and anxiety... i take lots of meds to deal with my issues... i was just wondering if ya'll were on any medication?
Savora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:56 PM   #3  

I used to take medication when I was younger - I actually couldn't tell you what it was, because my parents dealt with that part of it, but for the past five or six years I've become much more able to cope medication-free. My boyfriend has never taken anything specifically for this issue, not because he doesn't need it but because he doesn't have insurance that covers it. Still, if anything has helped you out a lot, I'd love to hear about it. A lot of my coping ability has come from having to deal with the facts of life for both of us, but I'd love it if he could find something that might help him feel a little more confident and independent.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:59 PM   #4  
On my way to a new me!

S/C/G: 205/168/145

Height: 5'6 ~ 44

abilify has been a lifesavor for me but has caused the weight gain, im however figuring out a way to lose weight while on it....and so far have been very successfull...... hoep that helps
Savora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 01:42 AM   #5  

Thanks, that helps a lot. I've been wondering about Abilify - it almost sounds too good to be true. He's never really had weight issues, so I wonder if it would affect him that way, but it could be fun to diet and exercise together. Congratulations on your weight loss!