Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2001, 08:23 PM   #1  

Default crockpot

With no time to cook on friday's I have to take out the crockpot and dust it off . I then need to use it I'm hoping that someone has some good crockpot recipes, that I can use in it.
Thx
Old 08-12-2001, 08:52 AM   #2  

Here's what I'm cooking in my crockpot today: Crock Pot Shrimp Creole (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=901)

For the mother of all crockpot recipe sites, check out: About.com's Southern Food Crock Pot Recipes (http://southernfood.about.com/library/crock/blcpidx.htm)

(Edited to make the links more obvious, and again because automatic URL parsing is annoying sometimes...)

Last edited by Scuttle; 08-12-2001 at 09:04 AM.
Old 08-12-2001, 03:58 PM   #3  

Default Crockpot

Joanna Lund (www.healthyexchanges.com) has a crock pot cook book and you will find recipes on her website. Just do a search. Her recipes have the nutrition info.

Rival the maker of a lot of crock pots has recipes on their web sit. I think it is rival.com or salton.com

How about 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts or you could add 6 and freeze for later, in the crock pot
Add: 1 pkg Lipton Onion Soup mix
1 can Healthy Request Cream of Mushroom soup
1 16 oz carton Fat Free Sour Cream
You could add a can of chopped mushrooms

Cook on low 6 - 8 hrs. After if is done if you need to thicken the juice, mix a little corn starch with water and add to pot that has been turned on high and stir. Serve with rice or noodles.

Chicken is 1 pt per ounce. 1/4 c. of sauce 1 pt.
Old 08-13-2001, 09:55 AM   #4  

Here are a few ideas for you.

Tobey

Pizza Rice

Serves 6

2 cups uncooked rice
3 cups chunky FF/LF pizza or pasta sauce
2 1/2 cups water
1 7 oz can sliced mushrooms -- undrained
1 4 oz package vegetarian "pepperoni" -- sliced (Yves is a good brand)
1 cup grated lite mozzarella cheese

Combine rice, sauce, water, mushrooms, and veggie pepperoni in slow cooker. Stir.

Cover and cook on low for 10 hours or on high for 6 hours. Sprinkle with cheese before serving.

ARTICHOKES

5 artichokes, with leaf tops trimmed
1 1/2 tsp. salt
8 peppercorns
2 stalks celery, cut up
1/2 lemon, sliced
2 C. boiling water

Combine all ingredients in crockpot. Cook on HIGH for 4 to 5 hours.

Easy Bean and Barley Soup

Serves 8

14 oz can beans with tomato sauce
2 medium potatoes -- peeled & finely chopped
1 stalk celery -- finely chopped
1 large onion -- finely chopped
2 leeks (white part only) -- trimmed, well-rinsed, & thinly sliced
2 medium carrots -- diced
6 cups vegetarian stock
1/2 cup pearl barley -- rinsed
pinch ground nutmeg

In slow cooker, stir together beans, potatoes, celery, onion, leeks, carrots, stock, barley, and nutmeg.

Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours or on high for 4 to 6 hours, until vegetables are tender and soup is bubbling.

Last edited by TobeyToe; 08-14-2001 at 08:08 AM.
Old 08-13-2001, 03:26 PM   #5  
Out there trying

S/C/G: 185/127/125

Height: 5'4"

Default Pizza Rice Question

Tobey,

Is it just me or are you missing the quantity of rice in your Pizza Rice recipe?? Am I losing my mind? Also, have you made this? It sounds interesting and I love the Yves products but I prefer whenI know someone has tried it and say it's good. Can't wait to give it a try.

Thanks,
Elisa
Old 08-13-2001, 09:06 PM   #6  
Canadian Chick

Angry

One of the best Crockpot recipe books is SlowCooking Recipes in The Company's Coming Series by Jean Pare. It has things in there you would never dream could be cooked in a crock pot! Check it out.

Here are some recipes I have in my hard-drive right now (Sorry I don't have the nutritional information for some of them) :

Crock Pot Tex-Mex Meat and Rice
2lbs lean ground turkey, browned, drained
2lg can tomatoes
2 onions, chopped
2 green peppers, chopped
1c raw rice (converted)
cumin, chili, cayenne

Put all in the crock pot and stir. Cook for 4 hours on high or 6-8 hours on low. Watch liquid level.

Slow Cook Spanish Rice
2lb Ground beef
2 medium Onions-chopped
2 Green peppers-chopped
28oz can tomatoes
8oz can tomato sauce
1c Water
2 1/2tsp Chili powder
2 1/2tsp Salt
2tsp Worcestershire Sauce
1c Raw rice (converted)
Brown beef in skillet and drain off fat. Put all ingredients in CROCK-POT. Stir thoroughly. Cover and cook on Low 6 to 8 hours. (High: 3 hours).

CROCK POT RAVIOLI CASSEROLE
Serves 8
10oz pkg frozen chopped spinach
8oz pkg. twisty noodles
1lb lean ground turkey
1/2lb milk Italian sausage (for healthier version substitute vegetarian sausages)
1 onion, finely chopped
2-8oz cans low sodium tomato sauce
1tsp salt
1tsp oregano
1/2c Parmesan
1c shredded fat free Monterey Jack cheese
3 green onions, chopped

Defrost spinach. Squeeze dry. Cook noodles in boiling, salted water until tender. Drain. Brown meats and onion until crumbly. Add tomato sauce, salt and oregano. Cover. Simmer 30 minutes. Mix in spinach. Turn crock pot on high after spraying iside with nonstick cooking spray. Spoon half the noodles into the
crock pot. Top with half of meat mixture and half the Parmesan
cheese. Cover with layers of remaining noodles, meat and Parmesan cheese. Sprinkle with Jack cheese and green onions. Cook on high for one hour or low for four hours.

Spicy Ground Beef and Vegetable Soup
Servings : 6
12oz ground lean ground round (or substitute turkey?)
2c onion-finely chopped
2 cloves garlic-minced
6c fat free chicken broth
3c cabbage-finely shredded
2c corn-frozen
1 can low sodium tomato sauce
1/4c long grain rice
1/4c catsup
1 large carrot
1tbsp brown sugar
1tbsp cider vinegar
2tsp dried thyme
1/4tsp ground cinnamon
1/4tsp black pepper
1/8tsp ground cloves
1 bay leaf

In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the meat, onions and garlic, stirring often, until the meat is browned. Drain the meat mixture in a strainer or colander, then transfer it to a large plate with paper towels. Blot the top of the meat mixture with additional paper towels to remove any remaining fat.
Transfer the mixture to a 6 quart Crock-pot. add the broth, cabbage, corn, tomato sauce, rice, catsup, carrots, sugar, vinegar, thyme, cinnamon, pepper, cloves and bay leaf. Stir
until well-mixed.Cover and cook on the low heat setting for 7 1/2 to 9 hours, or until the rice is tender.Remove and discard the
bay leaf. Using a large spoon, skim off and discard any fat from the surface of the soup.
Per serving: 272 calories, 8.4 gm total fat ]

Crockpot BBQ Meatballs
Meatballs:
2lb extra lean ground beef (or turkey)
1c onion flavored bread crumbs or plain-flavored crumbs
1tsp garlic powder
2 packages onion soup mix
2tsp worcestershire sauce
2 eggs (or egg substitute)

In large bowl combine all ingredients. Shape into meatballs. Brown in skillet with cooking spray. Drain on paper towel. Makes about 60 meatballs.

BBQ Sauce:
2 large onions, chopped
2 6oz each cans tomato paste
2 cloved garlic, minced
1/4c worcestershire sauce
1/4c red wine vinegar
1/2c brown sugar
1/2c sweet pickle relish
1/2c fat free beef broth
2tsp salt
2tsp dry mustard

Add sauce ingredients to crockpot and stir well. Place meatballs in crockpot and cook on LOW for 5-6 hours or on HIGH for 2-3 hours or until hot. Serve directly from Crockpot.

Crockpot Hamburger Hot Pot
Serves 4-6
1 1/2lb extra lean ground beef or lean ground turkey
1/4tsp garlic powder
1tsp salt
1/4tsp pepper
6 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced
3 medium onions, sliced
1 can condensed golden mushroom soup
1/2c water

In skillet, lightly brown ground beef; drain well, blot with paper towel. Add garlic powder, salt and pepper; set aside. Place half the potatoes and half the onions in crockpot sprayed with cooking spray. Add browned beef. Top with remaining
potatoes and onions. Combine mushroom soup and water; spread over top being sure to moisten and cover evenly. Cover and cook on LOW for 8-10 hours or on HIGH for 3-4 hours.

Crockpot GROUND BEEF STEW
Yield 6 Servings
3 Potatoes, cubed
4 Med.carrots, sliced
1 sm Onion, chopped
1 can Peas, drained
1lb Extra Lean Ground beef or lean ground turkey
Salt
1 can Tomato soup
1 can Warm water

Place in crock pot in layers. Do not mix. place potatoes first, then place carrots next. Then add onions, peas, ground beef and salt. Spread tomato soup evenly over all layers. Then add water. Cook for 7 hours. Stir just before serving.

Cheesy Crockpot Pasta
8oz small shells (cooked)
8oz low fat mozzarella cheese
8oz low fat provolone cheese
1lb extra lean hamburger 9or lean ground turkey)-browned
1 can mushrooms
1 pint fat free sour cream
1 quart low sodium spaghetti sauce
Mix sauce, hamburg, shells and mushrooms together. Put 1/2 in crock pot, pour sour cream over this and sliced provolone; now rest of sauce mixture, sliced mozzarella on top. Cook on low for 6-7 hours.

Cabbage Rolls (crock pot)
1 large head of cabbage
1 1/2lb lean ground turkey-browned
1 small onion-chopped
1c rice-cooked
1 egg-beaten
1tbsp salt
1/2tsp pepper
2c sauerkraut -- rinsed and drained
1 can (large) low sodium tomato juice
1 can tomato soup
1/2tsp red pepper flakes (opt.)

Remove core from cabbage,place in a large bowl,pour boiling water over to cover. Let stand til cabbage has wilted, about 5min. Drain, remove leaves, leaving them whole. Trim heavy stem, flatten leaves. Combine meat, onion, rice, egg, salt, pepper, put 2 tbsp of mixture on each leaf, fold sides in, roll
up. Place rolls seam side down in pot.Spread sauerkraut on top of rolls, add tomato juice, tomato soup, pepper flakes. Cook on low, covered, for 6-8hrs. Note: May also be cooked on low heat on
stovetop or in oven at 350° for approx. 2 hrs

Pepper Soup
Makes 10 servings
2lb extra lean ground meat cooked and drained
28oz tomato sauce
28oz diced tomatoes
2c cooked rice
2c green, red, yellow bell peppers chopped
2 beef bouillon cubes
1/4c brown sugar
2tsp salt
1tsp pepper

Combine all in crock pot. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 4 hours.

Miracle Soup
Yield: 3-4 servings

1 1/2oz onion soup mix
4c water
2 carrots-finely chopped
2 celery stalk-chopped
1/2 green pepper-chopped
1tbsp finely chopped parsley
1c chopped mushrooms
1c chopped broccoli
1c chopped spinach
1 garlic clove-minced
1/2tsp allspice
1/2tsp paprika
1tsp salt
1/2tsp pepper

In a saucepan, combine the onion soup mix and water. Bring to a boil. Add remaining ingredients. Simmer for 2-3 hours. Per serving: 153 Calories (kcal); 1g Total Fat; (7% calories from fat); 8g Protein; 33g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol; 2334mg Sodium, 3 points (Can also be done in crockpot)

Lentil Tortellini Soup
1/2c dry lentils
2c coarsely shredded carrots
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 1/2c chopped turkey bacon
2 garlic cloves, minced
2tbsp chopped fresh basil or 2tsp dried
1 1/2tbsp fresh thyme
1/4tsp pepper
5c fat free chicken or vegetable broth
1c water
9oz low fat tortellini, cheese-filled,frigerate
4c fresh spinach leaves; washed, torn.

Rinse lentils; drain. Place in a crockery cooker. Add carrots, onion, bacon, garlic and pepper. If you are substituting dried herbs for fresh, add them now. Pour broth and water over all. Cover and cook as directed for desired heat setting. Low heat for 6 1/2 - 7 hours. High for 3 1/4 to 3 /12 hours. Adding pasta (If using low heat, reset to high.) Stir in tortellini. Cover and cook 30 minutes more on high. Stir in fresh spinach, and herbs if using fresh. Serve at once.

Crockpot Potato Soup
Makes 8 servings.

8c coarsely chopped peeled potatoes
1 small onion, chopped (1/3c)
1/2lb turkey bacon, crisped, drained, and crumbled
8oz package ultra low fat cream cheese, softened
3-14 1/2oz cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
10.75oz can low fat condensed cream of chicken soup
1/4tsp pepper

In a 4-qt.crock, stir together the potatoes and onion. Stir in the bacon. In a large mixing bowl, combine the cream cheese, chicken broth, cream of chicken soup, and the pepper. Add the mixture to
the crock. Cover, and cook the soup on low heat for 8-10 hours, or on high heat for 4-5 hours. If you like, mash the potatoes slightly for a thicker consistency before serving.

Slow Cooker Taco Soup
Makes 8 servings .
1lb extra lean ground beef or lean ground turkey
1 onion, chopped
16oz can chili beans, drained
15oz can kidney beans with liquid
15oz whole kernel corn
8oz can tomato sauce
29oz can peeled, diced tomatoes
2c water
4oz canned green chile peppers, chopped
1.25oz package taco seasoning mix

In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, Cook the ground beef until browned. Drain and set aside. Place the ground beef, onion, chili beans, kidney beans, corn, tomato sauce, water, diced tomatoes, green chile peppers and taco seasoning mix in a slow cooker and cook on low setting for 8 hours.
Calories 358, Protein 18g, Total Fat 16g, Sodium 1283mg, Cholesterol 48mg, Carbohydrates 37g, Dietary Fiber 9g, 7 points

Crockpot GROUND BEEF STEW
Yield 6 Servings
3 Potatoes, cubed
4 Med.carrots, sliced
1 sm Onion, chopped
1 can Peas, drained
1lb Extra Lean Ground beef or Lean Ground Turkey, browned
Salt
1 can Tomato soup
1 can Warm water

Place in crock pot in layers. Do not mix. place potatoes first, then place carrots next. Then add onions, peas, ground beef and salt. Spread tomato soup evenly over all layers. Then add water. Cook for 7 hours. Stir just before serving.

Spicy Soup
YIELD: 6-8 servings -- 2 quarts

4c carrots -- scraped and cubed
4 cups potatoes -- peeled and cubed
1 small onion -- chopped
3-8oz cans tomato sauce
4c water
2tsp salt
1 1/2tsp pepper
1/2 - 1tsp hot pepper sauce

I use 5 carrots. It normally takes 7 medium sized potatoes to make 4 cups.

CROCKPOT: Put hamburger in crock and place in microwave and cook on full power for about 4 minutes. Take crock out and mash up hamburger with potato masher (the old fashioned kind, not the
newer round kind); put back in microwave and nuke for another 4 minutes, take out and repeat mashing process; return to microwave for another 2 minutes. I used hamburger
that was 90% lean so there was really no fat to drain off. Put crock into the crockpot. Add carrots and potatoes. Put some
of the water from the 4 cups in the blender and put the onion in there and chop it up; pour into crockpot. Pour in tomato sauce; use some of the remaining 4 cups of water to rinse out the cans and pour into soup. Add salt, pepper, and hot pepper sauce. Stir well. Turn crockpot on high and cook for about 3 hours on high. Reduce setting to low and cook for another 5 hours.
Stir the soup often. IT IS WONDERFUL WITH CORNBREAD.

TOP OF STOVE: In a Dutch oven or large kettle, brown ground beef. Drain. Add potatoes, carrots, onion and tomato sauce. Stir in water, salt, pepper and hot pepper sauce; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour or until the potatoes are tender and the soup has thickened.

NOTE This is not my recipe and I've never made it. I can't remember who gave it to me either. Anyway I would never put my crockpot in the microwave because it has metal on it. I would brown the meat first and then put it in the crockpot.

Crock Pot Hamburger-Vegetable Soup
1c chopped onion
1c chopped celery
1 large (28 oz.) can whole tomatoes (chopped)
3c diced potatoes
1c sliced carrots
1 can cut green beans
2tsp chili powder
2-3 dashes cayenne pepper sauce
2 (10 1/2 oz.) cans condensed beef broth
1tsp salt
1tsp Worcestershire sauce

Brown meat with onion and celery; drain off fat. Stir in remaining
ingredients and add 1 or 2 cups water. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours.
Old 08-14-2001, 07:48 AM   #7  

Check out www.frugal-moms.com under the food section. Lots of good sounding recipes. May not be exactly WW but can be adapted.

peach

Last edited by georgia peach; 08-14-2001 at 07:53 AM.
Old 08-14-2001, 08:13 AM   #8  

Default Re: Pizza Rice Question

Hi Elisa

Opppps! You are right - I went back and edited that message. It should be 2 cups of uncooked rice. I am trying to get away from using refined foods so I normally use a texmati blend. President's Choice has a good blend that has white & brown basmatti rice mixed with wild and red rice. The Yves pepperoni is very good. The Yves Canadian back bacon would also work well (I love to make BLTs using that product).

Tobey
Old 08-15-2001, 09:23 AM   #9  

Here is a recipe that I posted back in June and thought I would repost it here.

If you are uncomfortable with using tofu (however this is a great recipe to try it in as my hubby didn't even realize he was eating it) then you can substitute in FF ricotta or cottage cheese.

Tobey

Crock Pot Spinach Manicotti

2 Servings

1 medium onion chopped
2 gloves garlic, minced
1 tsp Italian herb seasoning
½ pound soft tofu (I prefer the “lite” silken variety)
5 oz spinach
2 Tbs grated Parmesan
Freshly ground pepper
6 dried manicotti shells
15 oz FF tomato sauce (I prefer to make my own)

In large slow cooker, combine onion, garlic, and herb seasoning. Mix well and set aside. In large bowl combine tofu, spinach, Parmesan, and pepper; mix well. With small spoon or pastry bag, stuff manicotti shells with tofu mixture.

Arrange stuffed manicotti in one or two layers over onion mixture in cooker; pour tomato sauce over top. Cover and cook at low setting until manicotti are tender when pierced (4-6 hours).
Old 10-07-2002, 09:11 PM   #10  

Wow! I just have to say Thank you for taking the time to post these recipes. I am always looking for slow cooker recipes!!
Old 10-10-2002, 09:07 AM   #11  

Angry Thank you!

I want to say thank you also for all the people who post the long recipes!
Old 10-10-2002, 09:30 AM   #12  

I was just wondering what ground beef or turkey was like in a crock pot. I have heard you need to precook it or it isn't very good. I use my crock pot often but have been leary of using ground meat. What do you girls think of ground meat in your crock pot and do you do anything else to it but dump it is the pot?
Thank you in advance for answering my question.

DEE
Old 10-16-2002, 10:52 PM   #13  

I've always cooked my ground turkey or beef. That's only because all my recipes says to. Must be a health reason behind this. Gee, I don't know.
Old 10-16-2002, 11:09 PM   #14  

I prefer to brown and drain my ground beef first. I don't want any extra fat in my crockpot.

Sometimes I put the ground beef in a plastic colander in the microwave. Remember to put a large enough dish beneath it to catch all the fat that runs off. Then, I just break it up in small chunks.

I like to put 2 cups of cooked ground beef in zip lock baggies and freeze so it is ready for the next time I want to quickly pop something in the crockpot. Two cups is equal to about 1 pound or 12 points if you use the extra lean ground beef.

Diane
Old 10-20-2002, 11:24 PM   #15  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Default pulled pork

Hubby and I were very sceptable about this recipe, especially since there is a place here in Buffalo, that makes pulled pork that cant be beat.........so here it is

5lb pork shoulder roast with bone in
1 can (14oz) beef broth
1/4 cup brewed coffee

cut roast in half, rub both halves with salt and pepper, toss in crock, put in broth and coffee, cook on low for 8-10 hours...

carefully take roast out of pot and pull the pork off the bones with a fork and seperate from fat (much easier to do when its hot so do the entire roast at the same time).

serve with the drippings left in the pot and enjoy!!

variations: add 1/2 bottle of your favourite bbq sauce!
Closed Thread