Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 04-17-2009, 01:39 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 175/169/135

Height: 5' 2"

Default NRLW hurting weight loss?

So this morning I finished stage one of New Rules of Lifting for Women. I am really enjoying the program and I have definitely gained strength over the last 6 weeks. In the final 2 "special" workouts I could do more reps of every exercise, and felt almost embarrassed to lift the low weights I started with - I felt like I was cheating!

But - when I started NRLW I weighed 152. This week I have been bouncing between 148 - 150. So in 6 weeks I've only lost 2 - 4 pounds. During the 6 weeks before I started, I lost 11. In fact, I averaged 2 pounds/week every week since November until I started this program. My clothes are fitting slightly looser, but not a lot.

So I'm wondering - has NRLW slowed my weight loss? It doesn't seem possible to build enough muscle to offset that rate of fat loss? I know there can be many reasons for a slowdown or plateau, but my rate of loss dropped off quite suddenly exactly the week I started lifting so it doesn't feel like a coincidence. Looking back over my food journal, my calories haven't increased significantly - I always did eat more on my workout days - so I don't think it's diet-related. Any suggestions or advice would be welcome!

Last edited by lovelosing; 04-17-2009 at 01:46 PM.
lovelosing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 02:05 PM   #2  
Workin' It

Everytime I change my exercise routine I hang onto water weight for a few weeks, particularly when that change is related to lifting. Maybe that is what is going on for you?
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 02:10 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 202/160/135

Height: 5 ft 6 in

I hate when people say "oh, maybe you're gaining muscle" or "muscle weighs more than fat" blah blah blah. It's so cliche. So I'm not going to say that :-)

Here are my thoughts:
1) What's happening to you is very common. Your body goes through peaks and valleys, and I think when bringing weights into the routine, your body gathers its strength (water/fat/energy) to be able to get used to the weight program, builds a bit of muscle, and then starts to get going again with the weight loss.

I think of it a bit as someone slapping me in the face = they slap - I am stunned - then I react. You have slapped with the weights, your body is a bit stunned, then it will start to react by losing weight again.

2) 6 weeks/2-4 pounds is normal but slow weight loss. That's how I lose!

3) Your weight loss may be slowing down as you are getting lighter, i.e., it's harder to lose when you have less to lose!

~Choirgirl~
choirgirlhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 02:29 PM   #4  
No description available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by choirgirlhotel View Post
I hate when people say "oh, maybe you're gaining muscle" or "muscle weighs more than fat" blah blah blah. It's so cliche. So I'm not going to say that :-)

~
It is usually a cliche, but when someone starts serious strength training, it might also be true.

Have you had your body fat% checked? Congrats on your success!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 03:51 PM   #5  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I'd say you are probably hitting a plateau, keep going, you'll see change.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 04:10 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Are you doing any cardio? I haven't read the NRL books all the way thru yet, but I know on BFL that cardio is a key component to fat loss and weight decreases, because you can expect the muscle to gain you a bit of weight. I would suggest checking your total calorie intake during the day and then playing with the cardio levels.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 07:43 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 175/169/135

Height: 5' 2"

Thanks for the suggestions and encouragement, everyone. I suspect you've all hit on a part of the real answer!

Shannon - it's true that my muscles usually feel a bit stiff or sore from the workouts, so they may be holding some water.

Choirgirl - yes, I've been telling myself all along that I wouldn't be able to keep up a 2 lb/wk loss all the way to goal, so maybe the timing of the slowdown is just coincidence.

midwife - muscles would be good! n I think I have probably at least slowed the muscle loss I must have been having before I started lifting, and hopefully gained a bit. No, I haven't had my bodyfat checked because my fitness club is a rather bare bones one and doesn't offer that service. Their "trainers" are nearly all students who encourage push low-weight, high-rep, machine workouts. It was a good choice for me when I first started losing weight, in that it was non-intimidating, not expensive, and close to home. I would never have been brave enough to walk into most of the other gyms! I've outgrown it, and as soon as I can I'll be looking for a new gym, but for now I'm pretty much on my own.

beerab - yes, it may well be just a normal slowdown (not even really a plateau, because I am still losing slowly), so I'll try to be patient!

sportmom - I did reduce the cardio for the first 3 weeks, because NRLW says endurance cardio (vs. intervals) is optional. Then I realized that I wasn't losing and have cranked up the cardio levels again.

I'm supposed to take a recovery week between stages of the program, so I won't be lifting this week. It will be interesting to see what happens on the scale. The thing I'm proudest of is that I am frustrated but I'm not discouraged. Any other time I've tried to lose weight I would have given up by now, but this time I'm sticking with it and eventually it will work.
lovelosing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 10:13 AM   #8  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

All I have to say is GOOD JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't you feel awesome?????
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote