Old 04-15-2009, 09:15 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 204.4/191/130

Height: 5'3

Talking Day 1 with WW!!

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and to Weight Watchers and I am reallyyyy excited to finally start to get my life back.

I have struggled with my weight forEVER and I'm going to finally try the most realistic approach to weight loss I can find. I've done Atkins with great success, I lost 40 pounds but I wasn't disciplined enough to stick with the maintainance phase and here I am, all the weight back on plus 3

I am determined to make ths weork for me, especially now. I had been planning on starting WW a while ago but never got the courage, and kept finding excuses. Well DH was recently laid off and I knew that would be my best excuse yet but I'm not going there this time. I have some great friends who are on WW and they were kind enough to break it all down, I have a points counter, and we figured out how many points I can have and I'm on my own for now. But I'm not letting our finances hinder my weight loss. I have the tools to do this, there are no excuses anymore!!

So that's a little about me. I've made it through breakfast, only 2 more meals to go. I know I can do this!

I look forward to getting to know you all!
ready2Bthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 09:49 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 285/275.4/125

Good for you for deciding to make such a positive change in your life! I've tried every diet that's out there -- well, not the grapefruit diet; I had too much sense for that one -- and I truly believe WW is the most sensible way to eat for the rest of my life out there. You'll get lots of support here, tons of recipes, etc. If you're willing to interact, you'll get lots of interaction back!
ladynredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 09:51 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 201.8/155.2/158

Height: 5 7

Congratulations on your choice WW is a great lifestyle change. I do want to add one thing in your post you 2 more meals to go.....I can not stress to you the importance of snacks, this is the beautiful thing about WW you can eat what you want. I eat every few hours, I find this regulates my blood sugar and keeps the binges away this is my day

Breakfast
snack
Lunch
snack
dinner
snack

Also, if there is one thing that you truly can not live without find a way to incorporaate it in your daily points for me it is chocolate so every night I allow myself a WW fudge pop it is 1 point and it keeps my chocolate cravings at bay.

Good luck, this is a wonderfull forum ask away there are lots of people here to help you on your journey
cdawnfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 10:16 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 204.4/191/130

Height: 5'3

Thank you so much for the warm welcomes and the advice! YOu are so right, I will remember to snack. Wow who would have ever thought I could say that?! haha!!

I have so much I want to do, I have 2 children, 2 and 4 and I want to get healthy b/c DH and I want another.. so I have a really great driving force behind me at this point. I don't think I would have the will power without that and finding this forum. I attribute most of my success on Atkins to the wonderful people I met. So you will definitely be hearing more of me! lol

Oh and how long did it take you to lose your weight cdawnfine? 50 pounds is amazing!!!

Last edited by ready2Bthin; 04-15-2009 at 10:17 AM.
ready2Bthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 11:53 AM   #5  

I will make a long story short in 2005 I lost around 70 lbs in 8 months than in 2006 I quit smoking and put the 50 back on so in 2008 I went back to WW and it took about a year. I know it sounds like a long time but I was 3 years older and not smoking. One thing I will say is I am told the longer it takes the longer you keep it off. It was very frustrating for me because I had such quick results the first time. But it was def worth the wait. Our leader always tells us NOTHING TASTES AS GOOD AS THIN FEELS I love that saying. I tend to be a control freak and am very mindfull as to what comes in the house if it is not a safe food for me I dose not come in. You are at a great point in your life with two small kids what a great opportunity you have to teach them what is good and what is not before they develop bad habbits. I came from a house of thin people I was the only one who had a weight problem that carried over to adulthood. Teaching them now what you learn is the best gift you can give your family.

Good luck, feel free to ask lots of questions

Cheryl
Old 04-15-2009, 12:15 PM   #6  

While a year might seem like a long time I thought I would show you it is worth the wait. These were taken exactly 1 year apart at a family reunion (dont mind the had it was fiesta themed) I have since lost another 15 since the picture to be at my current 155
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1184.jpg (22.5 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2730.jpg (18.6 KB, 47 views)
Old 04-15-2009, 09:01 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 210/189.6/143

Height: 5'4"

Hello all,

I also decided to (re)start WW today. I had success with it before my wedding, yet 8 years and one baby later, I weigh almost 70 lbs. more than I did the day I got married! I've tried Extreme Fat Smash and the 4-Day Diet (the dr. from Celebrity Fit Club's plans), with limited success. I joined WW for a month right after the baby was born, but trying to do it during the stress of new mommyhood wasn't the ideal time.

It's gotten to the point that I am embarassed by how I look. Coworkers who had babies around the time I did look good, but I still look like the baby's due any day - and he's 13 months old!!! I'm embarassed to be in photos with him because I'm so big, and I know I am going to regret that when he is older and mommy is always hiding in all the pix!

So, I'm optimistic that the time has come for a change and it's time to start taking care of myself. I can't have my son eating healthy veggies if I don't set a good example, right? I took a look at the "Wendie Plan" sticky on the main WW page (where you vary the # of points each day), and I am going to give that a try. I haven't officially joined WW, and am going to follow the plan on my own. I'm excited to be here with other WWers!

Last edited by Scoutieout; 04-15-2009 at 09:03 PM.
Scoutieout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 02:07 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 187/171/125

Height: 5'4''

Ready2bthin and Scoutieout, congratulations on making the change!!

I wholeheartedly agree with ladynred- WW is by far the most reasonable and practical plan. It will be an adjustment at first, but once you commit to it it will become a way of life. I wish you both the best of luck!

Cdawnfine- you look amazing! Congratulations on all your success
primaballerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 09:38 AM   #9  
The Scrambled Egg

S/C/G: 247/236.8/147

Height: 5'9"

Hey everyone....I am new here too...just got materials to start up with the Momentum plan and almost ready to go. I figure since there were a few newbies like myself that I would hop on board.

I have two grown daughters (20 & 17)....the youngest is collegebound this fall and hubby and I will be empty nesters!!! Somehow over the years the weight piled on.....I did WW years ago and got to goal but I have chronic back problems/osteo and the sedentary (sp??) lifestyle has finally caught up with me.

I am hoping that the WW momentum will help me lose the weight w/o exercise because I cannot exercise vigorously....I use to walk but can't do that without it taking a toll on my back anymore. So my plan is to lose some weight and hopefully I can get back to some exercise.

So here I am girls...I got the materials and now all I need is the willpower to get through the first day!!!

Glad I found a few of you who are just starting out to.

So a big hello to Ready, Scout, Cdawn, and Lady.....Ivory is now officially on board!!!

~ Ivory

Last edited by Ivorygirl; 04-17-2009 at 09:41 AM. Reason: typos
Ivorygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 02:19 PM   #10  

Ivory, you need to do some kind of exercise or you will muscle as well as fat. There are a series of chair aerobics tapes you can do sitting down and get a reasonable workout. Or you might ask you doctor for an appointment with a physical theraphist who could show you exercises you can do. Just losing weight isn't enough to get healthy. There are people who are thin, never been overweight, but are unhealthy because they don't exercise and have a higher % of body fat as a result.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 02:23 PM   #11  

Hi Ivory! Glad to see someone else who is getting started. Since exercise is a problem for you, have you looked into water aerobics? It seems like that would be easier on your back. There are floaty-belts you can get that help you stay bouyant so you can move around easier. Welcome aboard!
Old 04-17-2009, 03:41 PM   #12  
The Scrambled Egg

Thanks for the suggestions and welcome chickies {I hear that's the LINGO around here}

Anyway....I KNOW how important exercise is, in fact that is most likely how I got myself into the situation that I am currently in, However, I am on disability and have been to physical therapists and just a walk on the treadmill could have my back out for weeks that's how bad it is.

Hubby did get me a hot tub that I work on some leg and arm rotations and bringing my knees to my chest in repetitions of 10-20. It's not much but it's something I guess.

I figure that if the pounds come off then it'll become a little easier to incorporate some more exercise without it leading to more pain and my being unable to walk at all (which often is the case if I just merely pick up a dish or shirt the wrong way)

Anyway....I got my book out figured out my daily point value which will be 28. Hubby tried to get me a scale from Walmart but they didn't have the one I wanted so my first weigh in is not going to be accurate since I am using the scale that we do have which is the numerical one in 10 pound increments.

What does everybody think about the scale that they have at walmart that programs your starting weight, your current weight and goal weight??? Also....how is your goal weight determined???

I am just into the first week's book but just thought I would shoot those questions out.

Also.....I have an old pointsfinder but believe that it is useable....it has the dietary grams, calories and total fat grams to line up to get to the points....this should suffice, right???

Thanks again for your patience and I am hoping to really succeed here alongside others who are on the same journey!!

And Quilter...WOW, your success is awesome...only 5lbs to go, I can't wait to get there....how long did it take you???

You are an inspiration....thanks for popping by with your stats and advice!! I look forward to hearing some more!!

Okay...back to the program.....Ivory {wishing I could move like Mr. Carrot here!!}

Last edited by Ivorygirl; 04-17-2009 at 03:43 PM.
Old 04-17-2009, 04:06 PM   #13  

I think your goal weight is basically what you want it to be at the end of your journey. I set mine at 144 (oops, forgot I changed it to 143 to make it an even 50!) because it's what I weighed the first time I started WW 8 years ago - that way when I hit it, I can change it to what I weighed when I quit WW 18 lbs. later. I'm worried about setting it too low and then getting easily discouraged when I don't magically weigh 70 lbs. less next week!

I've never used the scale you described from Walmart. On mine, you put in your height, age and gender, and it weighs your lbs. and fat % (not a pretty number to see!!!). I'm going to put my scale in the closet and only pull it out once a week - I tend to jump on it all the time otherwise!

Last edited by Scoutieout; 04-17-2009 at 04:09 PM.
Old 04-17-2009, 04:44 PM   #14  
The Scrambled Egg

Thanks, Scout....I think that I will follow suit and tuck my scale away as well....I did WW's about 15 years ago and had a goal weight of 147....I weighed myself today and I am 247 not an easy pill to swallow!! I have a 100lbs to lose, chickies and I don't know how I'm going to do it!! HELP!!!!

Well it's one pound at a time, I guess!!!

{I am wondering how I'm ever going to do it} ~ Ivory
Old 04-17-2009, 05:02 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 178.5/178.5/155

Height: 5'6''

congrats! I'm on day 2
materialgirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote