Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-17-2009, 09:50 AM   #1  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Default How has your changed diet influenced your family?

The "What is the biggest temptation you cook that you can not eat?" thread got me to thinking about how my cooking and changed diet influences my family. The other day I noticed that my husband's belly has shrunk. He shrugged and said, "I have lost 12 pounds but I don't know how." I did! My changed way of cooking and limiting of junk food in the house has him consuming less calories. Of course, I could not resist the temptation of taking credit for his weight loss.

After thinking about it, he agreed! Smart man!
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:05 AM   #2  
So close to onederland...

S/C/G: 271/ticker/160

Height: 5'-8"

Same for me, I've taken responsibility for the grocery shopping and 80% of the cooking. My husband has lost almost 20 lbs since I started my weightloss last June.
sprklemajik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:14 AM   #3  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Don't you wish that we had someone to shop and cook for us? It could make this journey easier!!
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:22 AM   #4  
No description available.

We are ALL eating more veggies.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:48 AM   #5  
Workin' It

We eat more veggies, also. We cook more on weekends with my stepson rather than fast food every meal. DH eats better and has started buying more healthy snacks - he lost 20 pounds, has gained back just under ten of them, wants to lose 20 more. I think I'm making him feel some guilt over the fact that he isn't exercising like he should (even though we own a treadmill, elliptical, stationary bike, weider home gym and kickboxing bag) - he has started talking about it more and more, I'm hoping that the talk turns into action soon.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 11:09 AM   #6  
Work in progress

S/C/G: 165/ticker/120???

Height: 5'2"

We don't have as much processed junk in the house. My husband didn't want me to force him to eat healthy... so we agreed to have one "bad meal" in the house per week (ex: chicken patties with mac & cheese). I think that makes the hubby feel like it's a big compromise... but everything else in the house is 1 million times healthier than it used to be. My hubby eats more veggies now, and he's started watching his portions. The only reason I think he hasn't lost any weight is because he eats junk when he's at work (they have chinese food and burgers and cookies all the time.) But I can't control how he eats at work, and as long as it's not around me, I am happy.
LittleMoonRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 11:20 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

It has SOME, but not as much as I'd like. My husband is finally ok with eating less fried, greasy stuff, and actually LIKES a lot of the lower calorie versions of things I prepare. But he refuses to give up sweets, even though he HAS cut back on them. If I don't buy any at all, he just gets them from convenience stores during the day. I'd prefer he eat one 150 calorie Little Debbie cake to a king sized Snicker bar (which is what he'd buy on his own)...so I buy them and have no trouble staying out of them.
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 11:32 AM   #8  
Backpedaling!!

S/C/G: 276/250/176

Height: 5'4''

For me it's not so much that I've changed my family, but my sister and I have both been supporting each other on our respective journeys, even though we live several states apart. We've both lost about 25-30 pounds each, and we email eachother our daily food log every night via myspace or gmail.

Since I quit smoking, three of my friends have also taken steps toward quitting, and they've all told me it's because I did. *Super good feeling!*
freshmanweightorbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 11:41 AM   #9  
XOXO

S/C/G: 268/249/145

Height: 5'4"

We stopped eating fast food and other junk. We only have fruits and veggies for snack. This is easy because I'm a single parent with one child. So whatever I buy and cook he has to eat.
Devsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 11:43 AM   #10  
In the Home Stretch!

S/C/G: See Tracker

Height: 5'6"

I would have to say my changed diet has influenced my family in a very good way. My husband is overweight too, he's 6'4" and 275, he's dropped 40lbs since sept just by changing his eating habits. Since I stopped eating fast food he stopped too (once and a while he'll have fresco tacos from taco bell or some subway), he eat's all the food I make and I no longer bring junk food in the house. He's even started asking me how many calories are in this? Pretty cool huh?

He's not into the gym, he works long hours, but he'll go on bike rides with me. I know I can't push him into doing more because we all know that doesn't work. I think he would loose so much more and look amazing if he started lifting weights but he's got to want that for himself. Right now I'm just proud of him for making the changes he has and that he's been very accepting of all the food changes I've made at home.

My parents are even cooking healthier! My dad has had some recent heart issues that pretty much scared the crap out of him so he's embracing healthier food options. But it can't all be good...my husband's side of the family is overweight and they aren't interested in hearing a thing about our new lifestyle. Thank god they live 3 hrs away so I don't have to deal with that on a daily basis
daniela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 11:45 AM   #11  
On my way to a new me!

S/C/G: 205/168/145

Height: 5'6 ~ 44

well my b/f is the one who started this weight loss thing, so he wanted healthier food i gave him chicken and fish, but then he goes to tacobell, jack in the box, orders pizza etc.... i stay away from it, but he doesn't have the willpower and he has about 75lbs to lose...... i wish my family would eat what i make but they don't so shame on them and good for me!!!
Savora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 11:46 AM   #12  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

It's effected my whole family It's kind of neat to see even my mom (who is the fried anything queen) making healthier decisions with food when I drop by her house. Plus I'm finally rubbing off on my best friend

My DH told me when I started this time that he'd like us to make a healthy change overall for the family. So that's what we did. I'm very lucky that he made it easier for me to do this.
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 12:43 PM   #13  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

It's been a wonderful change for all of us. One of my biggest regrets is that I didn't do this sooner. What a poor example I set for my children. But no more dwelling. I am thrilled that I finally DID make the change.

We are all eating beautifully - at home of course. My kids are all older and I don't control what goes into their mouths when away from home. For that matter when they ARE home as well. But this healthy way of life has made them even more aware and mindful of things they eat even while away from home. Yay!!!

I remember when I first started this. How was I going to get my 3 teenagers on board with the healthy eating? But I did and they are. They too love all the veggies, fruits, salads, beans, fish, wonderful chicken dishes, spices, etc., that they're now eating. The variety boggles even their minds.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 12:53 PM   #14  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

Height: 5'7"

After I quit sugar last year, and succeeded with that, I asked my husband to make a trial of quitting it too. He did that, and since that change (and the other healthy changes I / we have made), he's lost about 70 pounds.

He's also been inspired by my exercising and taken up some of that--pushups and pullups and walking. He's pretty focused on making it a regular part of his routine now, and doesn't like when he's not getting it. We strategize together how he can make that happen.

So basically, everything I have done has had a massive effect on him, and on our kids also.
WarMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 01:05 PM   #15  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

No effect whatsoever.

I moved back to my parents' home temporarily last year, when my father was dying of stomach cancer. (Cause unknown, though in general, I've read that stomach cancer may partly be due to diet.) I helped my mother care for him for the last two months of his life. To maintain some kind of semblance of control, I meditated in the morning, went to the gym, and cooked for myself.
My mother ate healthily at dinner. But she binged most of the rest of the time. (For example, half-gallon of ice cream every two nights.) That was her way of dealing with the stress. Which was unspeakable & has left us both with more than a little post-traumatic repercussions.

Since then, she's still not eating as sensibly as she once did when she made home-cooked meals for herself & my father every night. The neighbors still bring food over to her, though it's been about five months now. She's an adult, she's in charge of her decisions & this ordeal has been awful for her. So my only comment is that I'm concerned that she gets in enough fruit & vegetables, and I've asked her if she is having vegetables with her dinner or snacking on fruit. No other criticism or remarks. She's taken that reasonably well & made efforts in that direction. For me, it's about her health & keeping up her strength.

All I can do is model for her & tell her truthfully how great my blood tests results are when I go to the doctor's, how he's gradually reduced all my meds and how much more energy I have.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote