Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:29 AM   #1  
Ija
Extra gluten

S/C/G: 286/135/135

Default Fruit, delicious fruit

I was recently involved in a rather (unnecessarily) heated debate on another thread about an opinion article on low-carb eating. The premise was essentially that fruits and whole grains are dangerous foods and are responsible for the American obesity epidemic. Personally, I feel that this notion is scientifically unsound and generally preposterous, so I've started this thread in appreciation of fruit, delicious fruit!

I love bananas mashed into oatmeal, gogi berries and blueberries stirred into yogurt, apple slices with almond butter or goat cheese, and frozen grapes (anytime, not just summer!)

What's your favorite way to eat fruit?
Ija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 10:36 AM   #2  
Work in progress

S/C/G: 165/ticker/120???

Height: 5'2"

I love pineapple chunks. Pineapple is probably my most favorite fruit ever... but it has to be fresh. No canned stuff. I also love bananas mashed up and spread onto Ezekiel toast. Sometimes, I'll slice up an apple, pour cinnamon all over it, and heat it up in a pan. No extra sugar... just a little spice. A dollop of greek yogurt on there... I can pretend it's a sundae or a slice of apple pie a la mode.
LittleMoonRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 10:45 AM   #3  
sugar is the devil

Fruit = love.

My favorites are probably tropical fruits and berries --- pineapple, kiwi, strawberries, blueberries, peaches, bananas, many many others. I actually don't think there is a fruit out there that I do not like the taste of. Recently, I've been trying a lot of different exotic fruits to increase my variety (ie. dragon fruit, star fruit, lychees, blood oranges, etc). My goal in life is to travel to some place exotic and try some pineapple and other fruit straight from the tree! Apparently you haven't had pineapple if you haven't had it ripe from the tree
SweetScrumptious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 11:02 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Fresh mango, just use my teeth to rip it off the pit, with the juices running down my arms. A private delight.

You'll have to link the other thread. I was obese because I ate fast food and processed foods and very little fruits, vegetables or whole grains. I started eating more fruit and I lost 70 lbs.

I definitely wasn't fat because of the less than 1 granny smith apple I ate per week as part of my old lifestyle.

Last edited by Glory87; 04-15-2009 at 11:03 AM.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 11:04 AM   #5  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

My favorite food in the entire world is watermelon. I am just starting to see watermelons in the store again and I could not be happier! I've already worked my way through 3

And I'm not obese. Fascinating.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 11:09 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 244/234/135

Height: 5'6"

Fruittt
I love fresh strawberries, fresh blueberries, fresh raspberries, and fresh blackberries alone or mixed in a fruit salad(or a smoothie!). I love chunks of pineapple or slices of mango or papaya.. I love pomegranate, kiwifruit, watermelon, and cantaloupes as a part of my breakfast. Grapes or cherries (of the red or yellow variety) make amazing snacks. I'm extremely fond of a nice, crisp, tart green apple- especially with peanut butter on it. Oranges, grapefruits, lemons, clementines, and limes are so refreshing in the summer months and all make great additives to a hot cup of tea. Peaches, plums, nectarines, apricots, and pears are all so delicious when they're ripe and juicy, sometimes so that you have to eat them over a sink to avoid them dripping on you(and they also are great mixed in a fruit salad). Kiwiberries are so strange, cute, and delicious snacks. Bananas are delicious in cereals, sliced up in yogurts, frozen(with some dark chocolate on it.. yummm~ better than icecream), etc. Tomatoes, especially when made into a sauce, can enhance all kinds of dinner items. And then there's avocados, which can be made into yummy guacamole..
Ahh, I love fruit..
Horo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 11:14 AM   #7  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

I've noticed people tend to get a little sensuous about fruit, more so than with other foods. Just an observation
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 11:17 AM   #8  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I love ALL fruits- and though my husband isn't a vegetable man- he gets a lot of his vitamins from the fruits he eats.

Personally oranges keep me going! I eat an orange EVERY DAY with my lunch and I'm good- but days I don't eat an orange I'm RAVENOUS.

I switch it up with the other fruits like apples and bananas and pineapple- but I can't live without oranges and my hubby can't live without tangerines lol.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 11:19 AM   #9  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Mmmm..fruit--I don't think there is a thing out there I don't love and adore. This week I am enjoying blackberries on steel cut oats and strawberries with sugar-free angel food cake. I am also loving those teency sweet clementines! MMMMM...Thank you God for giving our earth such divine creations!
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 11:21 AM   #10  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I have always loved fruit--but I will tell you--this most recent study about how vitamins don't do anything to reduce cancers is not a surprise at all to me--I bet it's that way with most ailments. Try as we might, man just cannot touch Mother Nature.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 11:23 AM   #11  
Stay true till the finish

S/C/G: HW/169 SW/157 CW/144.0 GW/129

Height: 5'4

I'm hungry now lol. I never have had problems with fruit but vegetables on the other hand I definitely need to work on that. I love watermelon, honey dew, strawberries, bananas, (never tried it in my oatmeal, I'll have to try that drina) kiwi, cherries, grapes, peaches, tangelos, tangerines, clementines, pineapple, golden delicious and honeycrisp apples, the list goes on. Though I've never tried star fruit or dragon fruit, what do those taste like?
jennsreadytolose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 11:36 AM   #12  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, fruit, especially strawberries and watermelon, my two personal favs.
annie175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 12:07 PM   #13  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

Mixed frozen fruit with low fat vanilla yogurt poured over, it goes like ice cream.

Fried bananas with bacon (sorry)

KIWI fruit!!!!!
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 12:36 PM   #14  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

I pretty much love all fruits and vegetables. The only fruit I've come across that I haven't really enjoyed is the cactus pear. I see it at the supermarket sometimes and will buy it for one of my sons who likes it; it doesn't do anything for the rest of us.
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 12:40 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

I love my fruits. I eat a lot of fresh fruit (my favorite snack food is grapes, I find them strangely filling), I use banana to sweeten my oatmeal, and I use fruit in lunch/dinners too - in a stirfry, in a sauce, etc,. I squeeze fresh lemon juice into my water, and I add citrus zest to lots of things. I've been having more dried fruit lately too. Cranberries in my oatmeal, chili spiced dried mango, dried apricots as a snack. And a good mango smoothie makes it hard to miss ice cream. Summer, of course, is fruit prime time. I indulge in as much melon and peaches as I can, while I can

I know some people feel they have to be careful with fruits causing cravings. But I'm thankful that for me, they have the opposite effect. When I have lots of fruit in my diet, I have little desire for candy or traditional desserts.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote