Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-13-2009, 06:57 PM   #1  
Liane

S/C/G: 201/190/160

Height: 5'6"

Default Plateau

OK, so now it is going on 2 weeks and I am up a full pound. I am just annoyed. I have not been working out "as much" (with the holiday and all) but I have been strict with my diet. Especially yesterday when I had salad with NO dessert, no jelly beans, no chocolate, nothing (I deserve to loose 5lbs just for that ).

So how long do these darn plateaus usually last?...I am seriously loosing motivation here. I was losing so great for my first month and now nothing.

What has been your experiences?
leenoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 07:21 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

Hi Liane, are you eating too few of calories, trying to make up for not exercising much lately? If your metabolism detects that you are facing a famine, it will slow automatically. It's best to vary your calorie intake to keep it at its optimum. Plus, I'm sure I don't have to tell you that exercise is the best way to keep your metabolism revved up. The more fuel you need, the more calories your metabolism will burn to meet the requirement. Plus, muscle burns fat at a higher, steadier rate, so you might want to "up" your exercise routine. But again, make sure you are eating enough calories if you do!

Last edited by Jacqui_D; 04-13-2009 at 07:22 PM.
Jacqui_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 10:24 PM   #3  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Cute avatar...lol

So, I"ve not read your story, so I looked back at some of your previous posts to figure out what kind of a plan you are on and now I'm really confused. 1 week ago today you wrote that you had gained 4 pounds on that mornings weigh in after a trip you and your hubby took. Is this pound you are still up part of the 4 you gained last week, or an additional pound? Anyway, I never could figure out what kind of plan are you on?
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 10:59 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Sometimes weight loss is like that -- you can work for 2 weeks on plan and exercising and not lose, and other weeks you aren't as focused and do lose! It's very hard to understand the cause and effect, because our bodies are kind of complicated and weight loss isn't linear!

So, hang in there!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 12:02 AM   #5  
Liane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori Bell View Post
Cute avatar...lol

So, I"ve not read your story, so I looked back at some of your previous posts to figure out what kind of a plan you are on and now I'm really confused. 1 week ago today you wrote that you had gained 4 pounds on that mornings weigh in after a trip you and your hubby took. Is this pound you are still up part of the 4 you gained last week, or an additional pound? Anyway, I never could figure out what kind of plan are you on?
I know...I am sure I have confused the crap out of some of you. Sorry about that...I get a little over emotional with this diet stuff.

A few days after we returned from that trip I had lost those 4 pounds.

Now in the last week I gained another one back. I am frusterated because, now we are not traveling, and I am back to being super focused on what I eat.

I would say my average calorie intake is right around 1300. I usually exercise about 6 days a week...last week it was only 4 days...but still...I would not think I would gain a pound. Oh...and one day I was ticked off at my body and did have two small pieces of a frozen pizza...but that was the only cheat.
Old 04-14-2009, 03:41 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 307/lost 140+ lbs/125

what is your sodium intake? High amounts of sodium can cause a temporary weight gain.
teawithsunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 01:53 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 217/196/135

Height: 5'7"

What usually works for me is switching around my percentages. I didn't lose weight one week and when I looked at my percentage average, it was 50 percent carbs, 30 percent fat, and only 20 percent protein. I switched it to 40 percent carbs, 25 percent fat and 35 percent protein and a couple of days later I dropped 2 pounds. The main thing is you have to change something. If you don't already, start calorie cycling. If you aren't doing strength training, start doing it, even if it's only 15 minutes 2 or 3 times a week. Start cardio, or if you already are, increase it by 15 minutes during sessions, or alternatively, increase the intensity. All these things surprise your body and it gets it out of adjustment zone.
cammieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 02:16 PM   #8  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Oh honey, you are fine! You are not on a plateau if you lost 3 pounds last week. (In one week you lost 4 pounds you gained on vacation and then gained one back.) That all sounds like scale and female fluctuation. Don't get obsessed with that darn scale. It is just another addiction to have to conquer.

I would highly recommend ditching your scale for a week and keep on doing what you are doing. Some might tell you to eat more, but IMHO (and according to my doctor) as long as those 1300 calories are GOOD nutritious food and not a bunch of processed junk, then you are getting enough...for a jump start anyway. You might want to add a few 100 back in later especially if you have intense workouts.

Last edited by Lori Bell; 04-14-2009 at 02:19 PM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 03:39 PM   #9  
Liane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori Bell View Post
Oh honey, you are fine! You are not on a plateau if you lost 3 pounds last week. (In one week you lost 4 pounds you gained on vacation and then gained one back.) That all sounds like scale and female fluctuation. Don't get obsessed with that darn scale. It is just another addiction to have to conquer.

I would highly recommend ditching your scale for a week and keep on doing what you are doing. Some might tell you to eat more, but IMHO (and according to my doctor) as long as those 1300 calories are GOOD nutritious food and not a bunch of processed junk, then you are getting enough...for a jump start anyway. You might want to add a few 100 back in later especially if you have intense workouts.
IMO, I didn't actually lose those 3 pounds. 3 weeks ago (before we left for vaca) I was 191....today I am 192.5. See what I mean? So...really...in 2 weeks I have gained 1.5 lbs.