General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 04-14-2009, 07:46 AM   #1  
I can do it !!!!

Height: 5'6"

Question Can't crack my back anymore

I am having this problem and googled it - another person had also posted about no longer being able to crack their back and here were the 2 responses:

Keep in mind- when you "crack" your back, while it feels good ( endorphin release), it is not actually properly aligning your back. As a result, after a while, your back will actually get "stuck" in a position that you can not "twist" out of. In order to put your back into proper alignment, you really need to see a chiropractor. They specialize in properly aligning your back. They will be able to help you get rid of that middle and upper back pain.

This happened to me when I was pregnant. Being unable to twist around meant that I couldn't crack my back anymore, and then after the baby was born, it was like the joints had fused up. I had to see a chiropractor to get the flexibility back.

I thought I couldn't crack my back anymore due to being over weight, the last time it cracked well was actually with a chiro and a I was pregnant at the time. It was better than sex - no lie! It cracked everything in my body from below my tailbone - up the spine and to my neck. I couldn't get off the table -- and told the guy he should charge way more than they did!!!

Last edited by 2Bthinagain; 04-14-2009 at 07:46 AM.
2Bthinagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 09:40 AM   #2  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Height: 5'4"

funny, I have this problem too. it used to crack easily and now it has seemingly become just stuck... -- but just last night I was able to get that sacral/right side crack and boy it felt good.

I've been wanting to see a chiropractor but I'm worried I might develop an addictive need for repeated treatments.
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 09:47 AM   #3  
Work in progress

S/C/G: 165/ticker/120???

Height: 5'2"

I have been thinking about seeing a chiropractor... but I am weirded out by the thought of it. I have heard they are fantastic, but I feel uneasy about letting someone manipulate my spine like that. Does it hurt?
LittleMoonRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 09:47 AM   #4  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

OMG--I have always wondered about this--my husband used to be able to snap my back a couple of times as I laid on my stomach before I had the kids--he could also squeeze around me and make it snap.....after the kids no such luck! boohoo! this thread really has me thinking! It used to feel really good when he did it.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 11:28 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 213/169/150

Height: 5'5"

When I was a lot younger I used to love getting my back cracked... I'd get my sister to walk on my back.. she was something like 70 pounds at the time.. anyway.. it used to feel amazing.. I'd always have such horrible back pain and that was the only thing that helped. Then one day she slept in my room and complained horribly about how uncomfortable my bed was.. next thing I knew my parents changed my mattress, and I stopped having back pain at all... and stopped needing my back to be cracked.

If something is bothering your back I think its worth it to see a chiropractor or examine what in your life is bothering your back. Only recently my back started hurting again.. I'm pretty sure it is the weight I've gained on the top, as well as getting bigger as a result of nursing. I'm hoping this weight loss will help with that.
paperSkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 11:33 AM   #6  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittycat40 View Post
funny, I have this problem too. it used to crack easily and now it has seemingly become just stuck... -- but just last night I was able to get that sacral/right side crack and boy it felt good.

I've been wanting to see a chiropractor but I'm worried I might develop an addictive need for repeated treatments.
I've noticed that my "need" to crack my back only comes when I do it myself. When I see my chirpractor I don't feel that way. My sense of well being is maintained for a long time as long as I take care of myself.

I dislocated my shoulder and fractured my arm recently and no amount of self manipulation has helped. It has to be from the professionals.... soooo, to the chiro and PT I go!
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 11:43 AM   #7  
Method to the Madness

S/C/G: 381.4/in the middle/160

Height: 5'9

I'm not sure, but is it possible that doing some back stretches would help? I would definitely check with a doctor first to make sure that they wouldn't cause any further damage, but a flexibility workout might help. I know that I do a stretch where you sit down and cross one leg over the other and rotate your torso to the side that you're crossing over to and it usually pops my lower back.
LindseyLouWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 11:50 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

When I started doing yoga, my back popped when I did twists. Eventually as I got more flexible it stopped popping, which I took as meaning it better in the first place . I haven't been faithful, and now my back doesn't hurt, but it just isn't "right." Need to get back to the mat. Plus I actually have an evaluation with a chiropractor coming up, through a free offer.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 05:58 PM   #9  
I can do it !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMoonRabbit View Post
I have been thinking about seeing a chiropractor... but I am weirded out by the thought of it. I have heard they are fantastic, but I feel uneasy about letting someone manipulate my spine like that. Does it hurt?
Nope it does not hurt - it feels FANTASTIC - the last time I had mine cracked - I couldn't catch my breath - I was in euphoria - it was the best back crack I'd ever had....I should go in for an alignment. I just thought maybe 'cause I'm much fatter now - that it had something to do with why it doesn't crack like it once did. I am starting to do yoga and had hoped trying to increase my flexibility would help with the cracks...I do feel a phone call to the chiro coming up though. I know it feels good when my kids sit on my back - but it still doesn't crack. I just feel like my back is stiff - and I miss my cracks!!!!!!!!
Old 04-14-2009, 07:54 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

i swear by chiropractice med...and yes it is addictive. I now actually listen to my body and know when its time for an adjustment...here's what i posted a few weeks ago in another forum in regards to chiro

i swear by my chiro..i have a great one. She took rads..and fyi..most dr don't take the correct "back" xrays...one of the most important one that isn't taken often is a shot straight on but where you mouth is open and head tilted down..it allows view of cervical 2...which is the most common malaligned and will cause numbing in arms hands etc. I found my C2 was totally out of whack from many falls off horses growing up..and that my right side of my pelvis was shifted forward. I initially went for a back issue..but also my left foot was "diagnosed" as plantar fascitis...an inflammation of the plantar fascia on the bottom of the foot. After the first adjustment...that night my foot was KILLING me...but when i woke up the next morning..it was 100% better. come to find out when my pelvis was shifted forward it was pinching my siatic never. Also, i ride dressage (a form of horse back riding) and my instructor use to always tell me i need to "drop my right hip and extend my right leg"...i felt like i could not physically do what she asked...then i went riding after a chiro visit and found out what my instructor meant...i REALLY physically could not "drop my hip" before the visit. After riding with routine chiro i am more mobile on that side of the hip. I love chiropracters..and trust me..i'm a veterinarian so I believe in medicine..but i know my body and can feel when its time for an adjustment...also as a side note...it has significantly. helped my migranes. I swear by a chiro...for all those skeptics...it is so vital and really can make a total differnce in your life.
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 08:23 PM   #11  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Funny you mention the foot, Gatorgal. I never associated chiro with anything other than the neck/spine. I went in for a massage a few years ago, about 10months after I shattered my ankle and had hardware placed (and removed).
The therapist, who was also a chiro, adjusted my ankle. The second he did it, a rush of warmth went into my foot and it got all tingly (in a good way) and I really think it's one of the main reasons I have absolutely ZERO issues related to such a traumatic injury.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 08:20 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

junebug-yep chiro is just not about back and neck..its actually all about the nervous system. If the back is out of whack everything else gets out of whack. For example, tingling in your hands could be your neck out of whack. My migranes were related to multiple falls off horses and was due to a misaligned C2. I rarely have migranes any more. Its amazing..in fact i found it interesting the first true chiropracter actually adjusted a guy who was deaf most of his life and after an adjustment he was no longer deaf...he had a nerve pinched making him deaf. Its amazing what chiro can do for your nervous system.
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 12:08 PM   #13  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorgalstuckinGA View Post
junebug-yep chiro is just not about back and neck..its actually all about the nervous system. If the back is out of whack everything else gets out of whack. For example, tingling in your hands could be your neck out of whack. My migranes were related to multiple falls off horses and was due to a misaligned C2. I rarely have migranes any more. Its amazing..in fact i found it interesting the first true chiropracter actually adjusted a guy who was deaf most of his life and after an adjustment he was no longer deaf...he had a nerve pinched making him deaf. Its amazing what chiro can do for your nervous system.
In terms of one's whole body being a whole and not just a sum of its different parts...

I get pedicures every now and then... I would settle in for the foot leg massage portion if the experience and feel----- sharp shooting pain to the right side of my middle /upper back.--- repeatedly thru several spaced pedis. Haven't had one in 5 months, went last week and..... yup, same referred pain.

OK, I will check my insurance and look for a recommended chiro.....
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 02:17 PM   #14  
I can do it !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindseyLouWho View Post
I'm not sure, but is it possible that doing some back stretches would help? I would definitely check with a doctor first to make sure that they wouldn't cause any further damage, but a flexibility workout might help. I know that I do a stretch where you sit down and cross one leg over the other and rotate your torso to the side that you're crossing over to and it usually pops my lower back.
That used to work for me too, but hasn't since I gained weight (had the kids)