Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-13-2009, 10:28 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 307/lost 140+ lbs/125

Default at TOM's mercy.... suggestions?

UGH........... I hate it when I get TOM.... just makes me feel so dang sluggish and in a grumpy funk.

I did sweat it out on the Elliptical for 55 minutes and increased the incline on that machine from level 2 to level 3 today. And also spent 1 hr 15 minutes doing resistance training at the gym. I guess I don't feel like it was my best effort so far for this week, but better I did SOMETHING than NOTHING!!

But I just felt so guilty today since my TOM left me feeling tired even before I got to the gym, so it made me feel like I didn't do good enough on my workout routine today, even though I tried!!

I just felt fat and sluggish today... even eating food made me feel piggish, even though I count my calories, and clearly arranged my "eating schedule" to have a nice high calorie dessert tonight in anticipation of TOM.

UGH...

I'm sorry to sound like a snobby grump, but I hate the feeling that comes with TOM.

Recommendations for getting rid of the sluggish/fatty feelings on days you're at TOM's mercy???

~ tea
teawithsunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 10:38 PM   #2  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

What about a little "tea with sunshine" ? Seriously. Plenty of sunshine helps me more than anything when I have PMS. I prefer walking outside as opposed to an indoor machine. And holy cow, 2 hours at the gym and you don't think you put in your best effort? If I excercise for 30 minutes every couple of days I am thrilled with myself. You go girl.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 10:56 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I was just going to comment that maybe you're tired from over 2 hours at the gym!!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 01:21 AM   #4  

Wow.I am seriously impressed.Thats some major gym time.I do feel your pain on TOM though.I hate it!!!
harrismm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 03:00 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 307/lost 140+ lbs/125

LOL... I forgot to add it was also cloudy, rainy, and COLD outside today

Last edited by teawithsunshine; 04-14-2009 at 03:01 AM.
teawithsunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 08:41 AM   #6  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

TOM's a real creep, isn't he? Robbing us of our energy!

This too shall pass....just take care of yourself!
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 08:48 AM   #7  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

I don't want to spoil your enthusiasm but I just recently read in the Oxygen magazine that if you on the elliptical for more than 30 minutes, you are not working hard enough (i.e. meaning that after 30 minutes you should be completely exhausted after doing HIIT and anything more than 30 minutes is not productive). Just a thought.
I was flipping through my issues of Oxygen during the weekend and since I am currently doing cardio on the elliptical, I went down from 35 minutes to 30 minutes (I was actually planning to slowly increase the time) and I ramped up the difficulty setting. Just something to consider - I don't how other posters feel about this, I am just throwing it into the discussion.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 08:49 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 220/220/175

Height: 5'-8"

i was told on TOM to try to drink a 8oz of hot water with an entire lemon squeezed in, it will help with water retention and that might make you feel a little less sluggish. Try not to feel down everyone is right 2 hours at the gym and an increase from level 2 to 3. way to go !!!
sweetandspicy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 09:51 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

Oh my word! 2 hours at the gym with TOM and you were feeling sluggish even before you went in? You must be a red hot ball of energy on your non-TOM days, lol! Don't be so hard on yourself. You are doing SUPER!
Jacqui_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 09:55 AM   #10  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Height: 5'7"

Hopefully today is a better day! Although I agree with everyone else, yesterday looked like a good day, too -- a whole lot better than mine. But it's how it felt to *you* that counts...

You're doing great; keep it up!
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 10:14 AM   #11  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

There are just going to be better days and worse-r days. We can't possibly feel/have the same energy & enthusiasm day after day. It varies. I think you did pretty remarkable though. Very impressive given how you were feeling.

How about planning something special for yourself during TOM if you KNOW that's a low-ish point for you. Sechedule a manicure/pedicure. Buy yourself a beautiful bouquet of flowers. A new lipstick. A small piece of costume jewelry. Take a nice hot bath. Just a little pick me up.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote