Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-12-2009, 11:56 AM   #1  
Becoming Maggie

S/C/G: 225/219/130

Height: 5"3"

Default Clothes shopping, motivating or depressing

My daughter had some money that she wanted to spend on clothes, so yesterday we went out to shop.

I found myself very torn between being depressed that I am just on the beginning of my journey and will not look good in the clothes that I see, and very excited about when I do get there.

I do not plan on making any clothes purchases for a while. Last time I lost weight, I lived on things that I found at garage sales since I knew I wouldn't be that weight for long. My goal at this time is just fitting into the things I bought then.

So, when just starting your weight loss is shopping exciting or stressful for you?
beforeim35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 12:08 PM   #2  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

I've dropped seven sizes in seven + months, so for me, it's SO MUCH FUN. I'm not buying much because I still have a ways to go. But honestly clothes shopping is AWESOME!! I started out in a 30/32 and now I'm in an 18/20 (with a few 16s thrown in for good measure!). I love shopping in stores; I love shopping in my basement!!
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 12:10 PM   #3  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

Depressing. Trying hard, lost a fair few pounds but still way outside a normal dress shop.

It'll get better!
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 12:21 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I think I bought a few casual things (pj pants, t shirt) when I'd lost about 10 pounds, and that made me feel good. But my first major shopping was after I'd lost about 20-30 pounds, because I HAD to. I then "lost" out of those pretty quickly, and felt bad about the money spent! So after that, shopping was fun because things were looking better and were in smaller sizes, but it kinda lost it's charm, because it was so frustrating to spend on things I wouldn't be able to wear too long. Now, it's fun again. Depending on the style, I can get a size that fits now and will still look good when I've lost about 5 more pounds (all I have left), or I get things just a little bit tight - either way, I intend them to be keepers.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 12:50 PM   #5  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

I LOVE shopping right now!!!! I started out at a size 30 or 5X and now I can wear size 20 jeans! And 1-2 X tops! I even bought a pair of sweats in a mens LARGE yesterday!!!

One thing I did for the longest time? Buy new underwear but not cloths. VERY motivating to see the number on your undies go down
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 12:53 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 190/179/130

Height: 5'5"

Default depends how much you've lost and where you go..

I find that I still feel big but at 170-175 I can start to see my shape come back and so if I'm down below that then going shopping is fun, motivation, exciting, forces you to want to lose even more.. if I'm above that weight even if I go feeling not bloated and good that day I come out of the store miserable!!!
staceyyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 12:58 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 192+,size16/ 164,12/ 150,10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieJ08 View Post
I then "lost" out of those pretty quickly, and felt bad about the money spent! So after that, shopping was fun because things were looking better and were in smaller sizes, but it kinda lost it's charm, because it was so frustrating to spend on things I wouldn't be able to wear too long. Now, it's fun again. Depending on the style, I can get a size that fits now and will still look good when I've lost about 5 more pounds (all I have left), or I get things just a little bit tight - either way, I intend them to be keepers.
As I was losing, I had a lot of success getting pants and skirts tailored to fit me. Much cheaper than buying new.

Of course, the weight's back on again and I can't wear them now, but maybe someday ...
sf40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 12:58 PM   #8  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

It's annoying... I've lost 12 lbs and haven't gone down a size yet! But I'll get there, I'm sure of it.
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 01:10 PM   #9  
Do it. Be Proud.

S/C/G: 250/see ticker~>/130

Height: 5'3.5

Ah.... I go through a roller coaster of emotions when I clothes shop. The first is optimism that I will find something, the second is frustration and pessimism when I can't fit into what I feel looks like "me," the third is anger... I get pissed. Finally, when I've left its motivation and optimism... I can do this and then I will be able to wear what I want, and not what the people who design clothes for women my size want me to look.
Reddalice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 01:24 PM   #10  
Ija
Extra gluten

S/C/G: 286/135/135

Clothes shopping is both exciting and discouraging. I love the thrill of walking into a dressing room with a pair of jeans and realizing that I've picked up a pair that was too large. The other day I fit into a size 6 at the Gap... I know their sizes run big, but still... I have never been able to wear clothes at the Gap before now!

However, even though I'm really close to my goal (and loving all of my new clothing options) I still get discouraged sometimes when I try on new clothes and realize that I'm still left with a muffin top, chunky thighs, and no boobs to speak of. I don't look the way I always imagined I would at this weight. But then I have to remind myself that I'm saving my life... so there's a trade-off

Last edited by Ija; 04-12-2009 at 01:26 PM.
Ija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 02:17 PM   #11  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

When I made the decision to lose the weight and then took the steps needed to make it happen - I was excited. Elated. Relieved. Because I knew having made that decision that the end of my misery was near. And there was nothing depressing at all to me about the whole process/journey. I knew that if I stuck with my plan that I could and would lose the weight.

I didn't do any clothes shopping in the beginning. I knew it would be pointless, knowing that my clothing size would keep on plummeting, since I needed to lose so much weight. I did of course have to buy a few pieces every now and then as my size changed. Shopping for those items was thrilling to me. Not depressing. Each size I lost was more and more thrilling to me. And I knew there were more sizes to drop. It was incredibly joyful for me.

Clothing was a huge horror of an issue for me while I was morbidly obese. Just an indescribably nightmare. As my journey progressed it just got better and better and now it's the absolute BEST!
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 08:15 PM   #12  
banned

S/C/G: 213/ticker/135

Height: 5'5

I find it depressing. Because when I find something cute and I know it doesn't fit, it won't be there when I lose the weight to fit in it.
sunflowergirl68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 08:26 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 255/see tracker/180

Height: 5 ft 7 in

I still have a ways to go so I find it depressing.
jademarlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 09:01 PM   #14  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflowergirl68 View Post
I find it depressing. Because when I find something cute and I know it doesn't fit, it won't be there when I lose the weight to fit in it.
But when you do lose the weight, there will be sooo much stuff that will look good on you and fit you well. Almost everything will seem "cute". You won't just have one or two things to choose from. You'll have tons. You'll see.

In the past I always settled for clothing, taking whatever would wrap around me. Now, I've got so many incredible choices, because quite frankly - everything looks really good on me. I have such a hard time choosing which clothing to come home with, because there's no way I could possibly purchase it all.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 10:22 PM   #15  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Very, very motivating.

As I lost weight, I frequented the second-hand shops. Every 5 lbs. I bought something new that FIT. I mean really fit me well. Often it was in a smaller size.

Seeing those small changes, really helped me feel that I was making progress.

And - as Robin said so well - once you hit goal - it is just THE BEST!

I absolutely LOVE being able to walk into a store, try on clothes and love almost everything I try on. I don't chose what fits, or what is acceptable - I choose things I love! I love the color, I love the style, I love the fit. (sign my name to Robin's post on this)

Hang in there - it WILL get better! I promise!
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote