Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-12-2009, 12:46 AM   #1  
Waiting for summer

S/C/G: 255.5/248.5/190

Height: 5'10

Arrow Pity Party...all are invited

So, I have fallen off track for the past week...but I didnt really how bad it was.

I went back to WW this morning...knowing it wasnt gonna be good...but I need to see the numbers to scare me a bit.

COME TO FIND OUT...i gained 8 pounds in 2 weeks...I was ridiciulous with my eating and I admit that...but arrrghhh

I want to get back on track but I am realizing that I have some barries to weight loss...

1.) I DONT KNOW WHAT TO EAT... I know like WW way of planning, but I want to watch calories...not points...too tedious for me...I need to look how to count calories

2.) I cant get into an excercise routine..I just started living with my boyfriend in February and he is supportive and wants to lose weight...HOWEVER...we do not agree on the same places and times to walk. I like to work out in the morning...not after work...i am too tired...and he likes to walk up huge hills...and i hate it and i get shin splints and it ruins my walks...

I know I am being difficult...but I lost 50 pounds before and I know that I know how to do it...my own way...I just cant seem to find it anymore...and it's so difficult and its effecting my whole life now. I feel so bad about my self image...its bad and I hate living like this. Yuck.

OK, any advice and pity would be appreciated.
aaneri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 01:19 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Easiest thing with food

1. Downsize your dinner plates, dinner plates used to be 9" most are now 12"

2. Imagine your plate is divided into 4 equal parts. Fill 1/2 with veggies, 1/4 with lean protein, 1/4 with healthy carb (brown rice, whole wheat pasta, sweet potato, ec)

3. Read the nutrition label on everything
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 03:07 AM   #3  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

Last time I was in a slimming club, SW I think, I went away on holiday for 2 weeks and came back 11lbs heavier. The club leader was all How is that possible? In Two Weeks? If she couldn't understand it, she wasn't the leader for me!

I frequently eat off smaller plates, it really does deceive the eye, and I've lost 100+lbs before mostly through portion control. This time I'm calorie counting. It might help you to look at some of the calorie counting websites, they do make it very easy to track what you eat. fitday, sparkpeople, dailyplate.
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 03:23 AM   #4  

Height: 5'6"

Having a pity party?
I'm bringing the cake and balloons!

Go ahead and feel sorry for yourself - for a bit.
But remember, parties do end!
After that, it's time to get into your normal routine again and get back to exercising and eating wisely.
Check out sites like Sparkpeople or Fitday. Not only can they help you count calories and track your exercise, you can also find a lot of good advise (not that you're short on that here), Sparkpeople also has exercise videos in 10 minute chunks, which might help you get back into moving.
And come to 3FC a lot, it helps!
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 04:49 AM   #5  

I've been doing the pity party thing myself. I didn't gain 8 pounds like you did, but I am struggling. It's like there are two of me. One of me wants to do all the right thing and can accomplish this, the other me doesn't care and wants to eat all the bad things and lots of it. The other me is very lazy as well and hates exercise.
Weather it's WW points or counting calories or just plain old common sense and portion control, you do need to find something that will work for you.
Also, if your boyfriend doesn't cooperate as far as walking goes, there is no rule that says you must go for a walk with him, is there? Maybe if you assert yourself and just go when you feel like it, he will eventually join you?
Good luck!
derrydaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 06:16 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 158/143/130

Height: 5 foot nothing!

I'll join your pity party. Putting weight back on got me to this site and I really appreciate all the advice & information here. We're allowed to feel down for a wee bit as long as we dust ourselves off & get back on track we'll be right.
littlejojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 08:33 AM   #7  
Doing it.

S/C/G: 208/see ticker/130

Count me in! Luckily, my shins have been feeling better and I'm pulling myself slowly out of my funk.
Jeannette311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 09:34 AM   #8  
Waiting for summer

Thanks for everyone's support...I did not reading on the Internet last night and it looks likes I should start out with 1800 calories...

One big issue I am havingis I have gotten into thie routine of eating a bowl of ceral at night around 7-8...It's about 200 calories...any feedback on this?
Old 04-12-2009, 09:42 AM   #9  
No description available.

Calorie counting means you can work in your bedtime bowl of cereal as long as your calories allow for it.

As for the exercise, you need to do it for you. Kill the excuses. If you want to do it, you will find a way. I do have a running partner and she is awesome. We run together 2 times a week. I run on my own another 3-4 times a week. I simply cannot wait on someone else for all of my exercise. DH is welcome to come along, but I do not depend on him or anyone else and neither should you.

As for the 8 lbs in 2 weeks, some of it is probably water retention or bulk in your intestines. Drink plenty, eat healthy, and you should see the scale move soon.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 09:55 AM   #10  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

I'm in for your pity party, working to get out of my funk. I was there while my Dad was critically ill in hospital, I really fell off the map with food. I was near his bedside in a little quiet room, nearly 24 hours a day, I hardly left, and ate crap and didn't exercise except a bit of walking. Have got back down to my weight before this happened, but not back to fitness yet, haven't worked the exercise bit in much.
I am like you, and sometime allow someone else to dictate my exercise timing and that never works, I have to do it myself, and welcome DH or DD or a friend if they want to come.
Ok, party over, get rid of the hangover and lets go for a walk.
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 09:57 AM   #11  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Default are you my clone?

[QUOTE=derrydaughter;2694817 It's like there are two of me. One of me wants to do all the right thing and can accomplish this, the other me doesn't care and wants to eat all the bad things and lots of it. The other me is very lazy as well and hates exercise.

![/QUOTE]

LOL, I could have written it and definitely live it.
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 09:57 AM   #12  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

There's nothing wrong with a 200 calorie evening snack as long as you're budgeting it in.

If you can get on the scale without beating yourself up when you see a number you don't like, you might try weighing daily. It's not for everyone, but for me it really helped me understand normal fluctuations and nips backtracking in the bud. I might allow a pound or two to slip, but I catch backsliding before it becomes an avalanche.

Also, you're giving yourself a lot of conditions, that aren't necessary. Both points and calories can be found quite easily on line (whenever I want to know the calorie count I just google the food name and calories (apple, calories - for example). I tend to eat a rather unbalanced diet, so I follow an exchange plan. Because carbohydrates are also a problem food for me, I chose a lower carb exchange plan (I modified the 1500 calorie high protein plan I found on hillbillyhousewife.com - they had three different levels of carbohydrates and 4 or 5 different calorie levels, to choose from). I'm not saying that those are the plans for you, but you don't have to have a perfect plan to get started. I know people say find the plan you can do for life, but you don't have to find your lifeplan before you start - just before you decide to give up.
Exercise really is the same. I do understand your position, because my husband and I went through that too. We both need and want to lose weight and exercise, but we have different ideas on what that means and how to accomplish it. In some ways it's even more difficult trying to work together than alone - so that's what we've chosen to do. We basically prepare our own meals, and exercise alone also. Sometimes we come together on a meal or a walk - but it's a happy surprise, not a pre-requisite. I know it's all easier said than done, but it can be done. Making that first step is the hardest, but success builds on success.

Keep it as simple as you can, and if you can squelch worry and just take it one step at a time, you'll have a lot less stress - and I think stress is the number one killer of weight loss plans. It isn't lack of success that drives most of us away, it's the perceived lack of success - we assume we're going to fail anyway, so why bother keeping up the charade - that kind of thinking has to be kicked to the curb (that gets easier too, the more practice you get).

If any of my advice comes of preachy, I don't mean it that way. It's taken me over 3 decades to "get this right," and I'm pretty excited about it, but I don't underestimate how hard it is. I'm not one that will tell you this is easy, but I will say that there are ways to make it easier, but trial and error is the only way you can find your own tricks, since there doesn't seem to be any that work equally well for everybody. Just trust that you will find your way, and get started with the experimenting.

Last edited by kaplods; 04-12-2009 at 09:59 AM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 10:08 AM   #13  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Height: 5'7"

The important thing about the 200 cal cereal is to use a measuring cup to make sure you are eating the portion size that goes with 200 cal. Oftentimes, the cereal portion size can be just 3/4 cup, which may be a lot less than you are used to eating.

So that's my one bit of advice to go with the calorie counting - portion measuring. Don't forget to measure the milk that you pour in, too.

Good luck!
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 10:21 AM   #14  
Waiting for summer

Ok, here is a sample meal plan of what I will eat tomorrow...let me know what you think and what can be improved

Breakfast: cream of wheat (200 cals)
Snack: Banana (100) and snack bar 160
Lunch: P&J sanwich (210) toasted chips (130)
Snack: hard boiled eggs (140)
Dinner: 3turkey meatballs (190) and 1 cup of spagehetti (250) and sauce (100) Parm cheese (60)
Snack: bowl of cereal 160

This comes out to be 1300 calories...for my weight, I should be at around 1800...any advice??
Old 04-12-2009, 10:27 AM   #15  
No description available.

Looks like a good start, but where are your veggies? How about some broccoli or spinach or zucchini with that spaghetti? You could add some almonds or walnuts with the banana, either in addition to or in lieu of the snack bar. Maybe have an apple or some raw veggies with hummus or peanut butter with those hard boiled eggs. You could even have some veggies or fruit with the sandwich.

Looks like a great start! Throw in some healthy fats to bump up the calories a bit....and veggies!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote