Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 04-09-2009, 06:10 PM   #1  
Right foot, left foot ...

S/C/G: 285.4/262/170

Height: 5'11"

Default Oatmeal and sugar

I was in the store looking at organic oatmeal today (the other ones seems to have hydrogenated oil coating the iron) and noticed how high the sugar per packet was.

It was like, 11 to 14 grams, something like that. Is this normal? Ok to eat?

I thought oatmeal was supposed to be healthy and now I'm confused.

Any help would be appreciated.
chickiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 06:14 PM   #2  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

May I ask why you are purchasing packet oatmeal? If you will go with rolled oats or even better, steel cut oats--I think you would be a step further up. Rolled oats are cheaper and don't have the sugar like the packets. You can cook the steel cut oats in the crockpot overnight or in the microwave in 10 minutes. On the stovetop, the steelcut take 30 minutes--they are easy--basically bring them to a boil, give them a stir and turn it to low.

I find the best deal in steel cut and regular oatmeal in the bulk bins--usually .50 a pound at the market.

Last edited by Thighs Be Gone; 04-09-2009 at 08:41 PM.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 06:25 PM   #3  

Completely agree about steel cuts. They are the best. I flavor mine up with Sugar Free Torani syrups. Almond roca is my fav on oatmeal,.. sometimes I use caramel!
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 06:38 PM   #4  

I had never heard of steel cut oats. Thanks for the tips. I'll steer away from the packets.

I thought there had to be something else out there. It didn't make sense that so many people who were losing weight were eating something with so much sugar.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:47 PM   #5  

If you will even just purchase the regular oatmeal from Quaker or bulk bins or whomever--they cook almost as fast as the packets. You can do them in the microwave just like the steel cut.

Whole grains are way better nutritionally than things that are not. They are also very filling--and are complex carbs rather than simple carbs which are broken down into sugar and stored as fat much quicker. I am a calorie counter so I really try to choose (my choices that are planned) highly nutrient dense food as possible. By the way, 1/4 cup of steel cut oats is 150 calories. You cook them with 1 cup of water. You can up your water if you like your oatmeal more soupy.

I like my steel cut oats soupy--by upping the water I increase the amount of food going into my tummy without upping calories.

I hope this helps. These things are all relatively new to me as well.

I add to mine usually--this week it's fresh blackberries and 10 raw almonds. It comes in at under 250 calories and believe me, it will fill ya up.

Last edited by Thighs Be Gone; 04-09-2009 at 06:49 PM.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:56 PM   #6  

I knew that whole grains were better (but wasn't sure why) so I was going to take a look for the steel cut oats.

Thanks for the cooking info, I've never made oatmeal not out of a packet before, but I'm going to give it a go.

I never thought of adding almonds in the morning, but that combo does sound very filing.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:58 PM   #7  

Yeah, the almonds will give you some (not bunches) of protein--another filler. Make sure to get the raw ones if go for the almonds--again, I know they are the best for you. Sorry, not to be a know at all, I am sure you have plenty of knowledge to share with me as well. And again, this stuff is all new to me too.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:01 PM   #8  

No, I appreciate any food tips.

There seems like so much to learn when it's not just another diet but actually trying to find ways to eat lots of foods for the rest for the rest of your life.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:03 PM   #9  

Gosh, you hit the nail on the head. That is what I have been trying to do--make changes that are doable, that I enjoy, that easily fit into my life. The funny thing is, in many ways I enjoy my foods now more so than ever. The swapping foods (like whole grains for the junky carbs) has been no problem whatsoever. In fact, I can tell a difference in my blood sugar. With processed carbs my bs will spike and I will look around for more junk to eat. Whole grains don't do that to me.

Last edited by Thighs Be Gone; 04-09-2009 at 07:04 PM.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:19 PM   #10  
sugar is the devil

I agreed, used whole wheat oats/steel cut.

A nice alternative is Red River Hot Cereal. It has a bunch of fiber and lots of different grains. I find it very very bland tho. I don't like adding any sugar to my oatmeal since it kind of defeats the purpose. To sweeten it up, I like adding real fruit to it (since it's a natural sugar). Strawberries or blueberries are the best.
SweetScrumptious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 07:32 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Oh, I do love my oatmeal, and I hate the instant version (just mush - I like my food with some chew to it) or with sugar-added. I do like the extra-thick rolled oats though. I also like a Trader Joes product, which is mixed whole grains - barley, rye, oats and wheat. It's even less naturally sweet.

Fruit is usually enough sweetener for me.

Lately I've been doing muesli-style - the multigrain hot cereal soaked in vanilla soymilk over night, in the morning add about 1/4 of an apple chopped, 1/2 banana, pecans, cranberries, and Greek yogurt. Eaten cold. Mmmmmm. Mmmmmm. Mmmmmm. The apple and banana are really good together. The texture is a bit different than when you cook it.

But strangely, I find I stay full all morning, or most of it, with the soaked version, whereas with cooked oats I seem to get hungry mid-morning.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 07:35 PM   #12  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I had heard (from someone here) that instant oatmeal is still whole grain - in that unlike many other grain foods, the instant version isn't stripped - it's just cut smaller. Sugar is still a problem, for some brands, but I did find an instant oatmeal that was in a box and you poured what you wanted (not packets) and it's only ingredient was oats - and I believe (but it's been a while, so maybe I'm misremembering) the package said steel cut oats (which where then apparently ground further). I haven't been able to find that brand here in Wisconsin though. It was in the health food section.

Or you can take your own steel cut oats (or quick cook oats) and whiz them in a food processor so that the pieces are therefore smaller and quicker cooking.

I know it's almost sacreligious to recommend grinding steel cut oats - since the rough texture is part of the appeal, but I like a smoother texture to hot cereals.

Last edited by kaplods; 04-09-2009 at 07:37 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 07:58 PM   #13  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I actually like hot Oat Bran cereal better than oatmeal. Trader Joe's has a toasted version but Quaker makes one also. I like the taste and texture better. I add unsweetened almond milk, cinnamon, Splenda and some almonds or almond butter for a tasty and satisfying breakfast.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 08:47 PM   #14  

kaplods, after reading your post I went and did some further reading..all oats are considered "whole"--yes, even the instant--nutritionally, steel cut are the best followed (how close depends on the souce you are reading) by regular oatmeal and then the instant variety. Some nutrients are lost in the rolling of the oat or the partial cooking.

You are right, just as you are most often.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:34 PM   #15  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thighs Be Gone View Post
kaplods, after reading your post I went and did some further reading..all oats are considered "whole"--yes, even the instant--nutritionally, steel cut are the best followed (how close depends on the souce you are reading) by regular oatmeal and then the instant variety. Some nutrients are lost in the rolling of the oat or the partial cooking.

You are right, just as you are most often.

I can't take credit for it, since it was passed on information. I think right now I have steel cut long-cooking oats, old fashioned quick oats, and several varieties of instant (such as "Weight Control for Women" and several "low sugar" varieties).

The instant ones I rarely eat for breakfast (I sometimes make oatmeal with slow cooking oats in the crockpot). When I really want a rich dessert, I will save enough exchanges/calories for a imitation "cobbler." I'll make a serving of instant oatmeal (my favorite is banana bread flavored) and then add a scoop of no sugar added ice cream (for about 220 - 240 calories, 2 bread exchanges, and 1 dairy). When I wasn't watching carbs, I'd have that "cobbler" every day for breakfast in the winter.

Another great alternative to oatmeal
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote