Old 04-07-2009, 07:40 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 193/190-ish/140

Height: 5'7"

Default Vegetables that fill you up?

Are there any vegetables out there that make you feel full? I could eat fruits and vegetables nonstop all day and still feel hungry for whatever reason. I'm starting to understand why my horse could just eat grass nonstop all day Though he was a little portly himself in his later years...(heh, a little portly. He was like a sofa with legs. He couldn't be ridden, so he got very little exercise, and he was an expert at begging for treats!)

(Oh, I can't eat bananas - they make my mouth burn and my throat itch and I get wheezy, even though I'm supposedly not allergic to any foods...I'm really doubting those test results, though.)
Violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:58 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 152/115-maintaining

Height: 5'4"

I eat a cup of frozen grapes sometimes when I really want a snack that will last awhile (about 100 calories a cup!)

Sometimes I'll make a stir fry of tomatoes, onions and peppers too. The spiciness (sp?) really takes away any urge to snack.
avamarie1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 08:17 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

Pretty much any veggie will give you lots of volume for very few cals. But they don't provide a lot of satiety. So my trick is to follow up my big bowl of veggies with a very small hi-calorie-density chaser, like a small handful of nuts.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 12:09 AM   #4  

Similar to yoyoma- adding some protein like some small bits of chicken will make a big diff, plus a touch of olive oil or a few bits of avocado
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 12:59 AM   #5  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I like smashed cauliflower--nothing else gives me that heaviness for those kind of calories.

I also love baby carrots and shredded papaya.

I also adore charcoal grilled onions and peppers and mushrooms and could eat them by the droves.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 09:06 AM   #6  
Triathlon chica

S/C/G: 270/182.5/??

Height: 5'6"

Sweet potatoes are a good alternative to regular potatoes and will fill you up for a long time.

My personal favorites are broccoli and asparagus. Eating an artichoke takes a long time, so it can be fun to do when you might normally eat popcorn.
Athenawithheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 07:00 PM   #7  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I find veggies VERY filling. But I am eating enormous quantities of them at a sitting.

I can easily eat 2 cups or more of cauliflower - very filling.

A serving bowls worth of salad - romaine hearts, red onions, kirbys, grape tomatoes, bell peppers

I also eat broccoli, turnips, butternut and acorn squash, asparagus, carrots, mushrooms, peppers, red and green cabbage, tomatoes - you name a veggie and I'll most likely eat it - but again - large quantities.

Maybe you'd like to add a protein to your veggies. Chicken or turkey breast. Some fish. An egg white omlette. Beans.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 07:12 PM   #8  
So close!

S/C/G: 162/143/105

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet View Post
(Oh, I can't eat bananas - they make my mouth burn and my throat itch and I get wheezy, even though I'm supposedly not allergic to any foods...I'm really doubting those test results, though.)
Bit off topic, but I have this same problem with bananas! My gums get itchy and hot and my throat hurts and itches a lot. This happens with several fruits. I have never been allergy tested, but I've always wondered if I was allergic to them. I stopped eating fruit altogether for several years because of this feeling. Recently, when I decided to start eating healthier, I began to bring fruits back into my diet. I cut them up into small pieces, chew them with my back teeth so as to protect my gums as much as I can, then drink or eat something else right away to ward off the itchiness. It works, some of the time.

I know this sounds a little ridiculous, but I know that fruits are essential, and it's the only way I can eat them. Anyone know why this happens?!
Rowenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 07:37 PM   #9  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Hey Rowenna--too odd you mention that reaction to bananas.

A lady I have known for sometime had a severe allergic reaction just after eating a banana and 9-1-1 had to be called. This was just last week. Turns out, she had started a new medication that caused the reaction with bananas. Who would have thought of it??
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 12:39 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 190/155/135

My mom is severely allergic to bananas.. It actually started with a latex allergy.
Now she is allergic to: bananas (and plantains(they're the same)), rubber, tropical fruits.. mangoes, kiwis, cantaloupe, honeydew.. shes slowly becoming allergic to other starchy veggies like potatoes.. they all share the same basic proteins
I will have a slight itchy feeling in my throat with bananas, so I eat them very rarely.. this is because an allergy gets worse everytime you introduce yourself to it. so if you aren't sure you have an allergy, but you react "funny" to certain foods, eat them very rarely. Don't force yourself to eat them.. I LOVE bananas, but its not worth needing to carry an epi-pen with my everywhere I go!
What fruits are you allergic to? Is it all fruits? I know a woman who is basically allergic to sugars. She gets terrible rashes if she considers eating a fruit. And the rash will last for a week or 2 and that's flushing her system.
As much as fruits are "essential" I would find other foods that replace the nutrients found in the fruits that you react to. You should steer clear of them because as much as they are "essential" it really doesn't matter if you don't make it out of an allergic reaction..

As for me with veggies: I like carrots and other veggies. I have learned to enjoy chilled edamame.. oh soo good! 1/2 cup is 100cals, 3g fat, 3g fiber and 8g protein..
Also different fruits that are "better" at filling up than grapes:
BERRIES! Raspberries and blueberries both 70cal for a cup, 0fat, 9g fiber! Strawberries are a little bit more calories, and less fiber, but they taste sooo yummy!!
I generally have a big bowl of fruit in the morning and some sort of other "bulk" today it was a lite english muffin.. with some margarine and some apple butter LOTS of fiber between the 2!

Last edited by tdiprincess; 04-10-2009 at 12:42 PM.
tdiprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 02:00 PM   #11  
So close!

S/C/G: 162/143/105

The foods that give me a reaction are apples, bananas, peaches, pears, most berries, and sometimes oranges - usually only the raw versions of these (I can eat canned peaches, or apple pie). The only raw fruits that don't bother me are grapes and lemons, pretty much. What is a fruit substitute? I drink fruit juices, which usually don't bother me, but is there anything else I could try?
Rowenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 02:48 AM   #12  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Try avocados. If you're worried about fat content, go with just half.

Other filling veggies, for me, are mushrooms, eggplant, zucchini, cauliflower, green beans and cabbage.

Georgia
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 11:32 AM   #13  
Ain't she keen?

S/C/G: 195/165/130

Height: 5' 6"

Something that makes veggies more filling to me is heating them. A hot stirfy with peppers, mushrooms, and broccoli over some brown rice with Tiger Sauce is delicious.
seetheturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 03:47 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 193/190-ish/140

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thighs Be Gone View Post
Hey Rowenna--too odd you mention that reaction to bananas.

A lady I have known for sometime had a severe allergic reaction just after eating a banana and 9-1-1 had to be called. This was just last week. Turns out, she had started a new medication that caused the reaction with bananas. Who would have thought of it??
Wow, that's a new one to me! Do you know what kind of medication it was?

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!
Violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 01:27 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 210/150/150/140

Height: 5'9"

I have an allergy to strawberries. Sucks! And some peanut butters.

For me, the most filling is a nice hot veggie soup. Spicy with big chunky veggies. Mmmm. I'm not a fan of celery, but I can eat it cooked up in a broth.
Suzyszoo is offline   Reply With Quote