South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 01:38 PM   #1  

Smile New Beach Girl...

Hi everyone, my name is Wendy and I'm new to the beach. I'm on day 3, bought the book (read the bood), went here and printed off a bunch of recipes and would say i'm doing fairly well. I've been on other diet programs but deceided to do this one becasue of my DH, he has high triglycerides and in doing my research online this is one of the best for lowering them, not to mention I have about 130lbs to lose.

I do have a couple of questions....
1) what i can't understand is, is SB a free for all with the healhty meats and veggis (phase 1). What helps me with diets (or did) was knowing my limitations. I like knowing how much I'm allowed, like the sweets.. i know i can have sugar free but only up to 100 cal or less a day.

and two, i feel like I'm cheating. For instance today for lunch i had left over taco bake (which i made in a 9x9 pan, cut 4 ways). I used the fat free refried beans, 96%lean hamburger meat and tomato paste/chilis/a little taco seasoning
a cup of lettuce,
a whole cucumber w/ 2tbsp dressing(it had sugar but only 3grams)
2tbsp sour cream
2tbsp salsa

Was this way too much? I want to make sure i'm doing this right but feel almost lost since I have to make the decision and no one is telling me you have have this much of item 1 and this much of item 2 and what the servings are. I've never done real good with calorie counting.

Ok, so now I'm rambling... If you have made it this far thank you so much for reading, hopefully i can get the hang of this and thank you for all your help. I have read through so many posts and they do help.

TIA
Old 04-01-2009, 06:58 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

to The Beach, Wendy!
It sounds like you are off to a great start, and I'm so glad you read the book first! You'll find plenty of help and support here to keep you motivated and successful in your weight loss.
Here is a link to one of the threads stickied in our FAQ section, and you should check out the other helpful info there, too.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56861

I hope you find this helpful and don't hesitate to ask any other questions you may have. We're happy to have you here, and please join in on our daily chats. Good luck!
Old 04-01-2009, 09:45 PM   #3  

S/C/G: Too much/Less/Just Right!

Height: 5'4"

Hi Wendy! Welcome! What I love about SBD is that I'm very seldom hungry (maybe during TOM). I don't measure my portions. Eat within the diet's bounderies and you'll do great! Taco bake is one of my favorite meals, along with spaghetti squash pizza. Yummy, big portions. mmmmmm!
Old 04-01-2009, 09:55 PM   #4  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I always feel like I'm cheating on SB cuz I feel so full. Never did that on other plans. I always eat 1/4 of the Taco Bake & I feel so sinful eating that much. If you eat all the veggies on this plan, you really won't overeat on the protein portions since you're so full.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:42 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

Just wanted to say hello and welcome to the beach Wendy!
Old 04-02-2009, 09:05 AM   #6  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Wendy!

I understand about wanting limitations. However, I believe that, in time, we start chafing at too many limitations, which can lead to off plan eating and, eventually, falling off the wagon completely. One of the reasons I've found SBD to be a plan for life is that it doesn't restrict me unnecessarily.

That said, there are restrictions, just not for lean meat and vegetables, as you noted. I thought Schmoodle's idea for checking off the things she should get and ensuring she didn't eat more servings than allowed of other categories was really inspired. You can read about it in this post.

Your meal doesn't look like a problem, though I was wondering why you had dressing, salsa, and sour cream. Did you have a cucumber salad on the side of the taco bake? If so, there's no reason to feel guilty about your meal--heck, even if you did put all three on the taco bake, there's no reason to feel guilty--I'd just wonder why you'd want extra calories when you already had two other options for making the dish more creamy.

Glad you read the book. It can be hard to accept the amount of freedom SBD gives you, but it teaches you to rely on your own body and what it tells you, which is a good skill for life, IMHO. You'll get the hang of it.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:44 PM   #7  

Thanks ya'll. My DH and I need all the help we can get. Laurie to answer your question, yes i had a cucumber salad on the side but I think now i'm going to not have both sour cream and dressing with the same meal. Whenever we have taco's i love salsa and sour cream with a lot of lettuce.

I'm so use to restrictions and it is hard just to follow something that doesn't have limitations (well very few). I'm shocked that I've lasted this long, normally i give up with in the first few days but I feel great.

I really appreciate your help.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:02 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 180.6/see ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Hi, Wendy! I'm new to this site too. I did Phase 1 (with some cheating) then just totally fell off the wagon for about 5 days. Today I am re-starting Phase 1 and hoping it goes better! I love the knowledge I find on this site!! Sometimes I feel like I'm cheating too, even when I am staying on plan! Good luck to you!
Old 04-02-2009, 05:35 PM   #9  

Thanks BeachGal for the post regarding a simple way of tracking. I like that alot. I'm almost new to SB. I'll be starting a strict phase 1 tomorrow. Right now I'm still including some carbs. I'm a little concerned about going low carb, but I like the idea of getting some weight off so it will motivate me. How did you find being on low carbs affecting your work out. I exercise 4 times a week, 30 minutes cardio (13 min miles) and 30 min yoga stretch and weights.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:11 PM   #10  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I responded to your other post but let me repeat: SBD is not a low carb program.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:17 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

Portion control = eating only until you are satisfied, not stuffing yourself. I think that's what we have to elarn. Not to overeat, even healthy stuff.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:28 PM   #12  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

NicRic! I think the best thing would be if you would post your question as a separate thread. That way everyone can find it easily and you're likely to get many more responses. I'll reply in your new thread.
Closed Thread