Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

View Poll Results: You are craving something, what do you do?
I give up an eat what I crave, NOW!! 2 4.55%
I give up an eat what I crave, but later on. 17 38.64%
I don't mean to give up at all, but I know I'll do. 13 29.55%
I just don't give up, ever. 12 27.27%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-05-2009, 02:49 AM   #1  
rainy

Default You are craving something, what do you do?

Here's the question:

You are craving something, what do you do?
Old 04-05-2009, 03:23 AM   #2  
looser

S/C/G: 185/ticker/150

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainy View Post
Here's the question:

You are craving something, what do you do?
When i crave something i go and eat something healty insetad. And if its not time to eat then i go to do something else to keep my mind off of it.
unwanted37lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 04:57 AM   #3  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

If I'm genuinely hungry, then I will find the healthiest version of what I am craving and go ahead and have it.

I have cravings for beef, so I'll have a 3 oz. grilled, lean steak.

I have cravings for chocolate, so I'll have an ounce of dark chocolate.

I have cravings for bread, so I'll ignore that one because I can't ever just have one piece of bread. I don't keep bread in the house. But I do have Wasa Light Rye crackers. Mostly when I crave bread, I'm actually craving what I want to put on the bread, which is usually fatty. So I'll have half an avocado on the crackers and I'm good.

I crave cheese, I'll have whole grain pasta, just 2 oz., tossed with a little olive oil, several cloves of garlic, crushed, and a tablespoon of freshly grated Romano cheese. But sometimes I just want a spoonful of ricotta, or a little fresh mozzarella. I don't go low fat with cheese, because I won't feel satisfied.

I try to ignore fast food and junk food cravings, and I take alternate routes.

Georgia
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 10:16 AM   #4  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

I try to eat a normal size portion of a healthy version of it. If it's just a vague craving for salt (my personal disaster), I recently discovered I can nip it in the bud with something really, really spicy.

I don't think of cravings in a "give up/don't give up" way any more - it's more of an "adapt, innovate, overcome".
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 12:49 PM   #5  

I'll plan when I'm going to eat what I crave so it fits into my diet...usually
sweet_talker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 12:55 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 253/Maintenance/140

Height: 5'8

I find a place for it. No that day, maybe not the next day, but I'll get what I want without "giving in." A few days ago I wanted one of the WW frozen eclairs (140 cals) that are in my freezer. Couldn't have on then, but later this afternoon I plan on having one. Healthy lunch before my workout, eclair after. I am looking forward to it.

I have also been wanting beer lately. I'm thinking I'll have one late this work week, with one of my lower-cal dinners.
WhitePicketFences is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 12:56 PM   #7  
happy in her own world

S/C/G: 260/260/130

Height: 5'2"

The way hubby and I have our plan worked out- we stay on track for like 2 months- then have a weekend off and we eat those things we've been craving. For me- I haven't been able to get a certain burger from a certain fast food place outta my head for weeks so that'll probably be the thing I go for.
Otherwise for day to day cravings- I try to just make sure I have something handy to shove in my mouth instead. I've been relying a lot on Special K Protien bars- the peanut butter ones are good. It's sort of like- I dunno I feel like I get a treat because it's chocolaty but also because of the protein I'm not hungry anymore. it works for me.
lizziep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 01:11 PM   #8  
NEVER GIVE UP

S/C/G: 259.9/181.0/145.0

Height: 5'6"

I Crave chocolate when it's my time of month so I got sugarfree pudding and that hits the spot and takes the craving away now~I don't even look at a resses cup or any other kind of candy bar ect anymore! I use to eat a Candy bar daily~And cookies ect~And I don't even miss them now.
If I crave something else ~I fit it in with my calories~Even Mcdonalds~I just get a quarter pounder sandwich or a cheese burger and Count it into my calories.I forget the fries & soda ect~i never order the fries anymore ~And I take my own drink or get a water.There is times I can not fit something into my calories ~But eventually the craving goes away.(My hubby says I have good will power~But I am just determined I guess)

Last edited by Lori259; 04-05-2009 at 01:17 PM.
Lori259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 01:29 PM   #9  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

It depends.
If I can substitute a healthy alternative, I will.
If not, I eat a small - controlled - portion. I eat it slowly, and savor each bite.

I have found that trying to ignore the craving usually leads to binge behavior later on.

And - best of all - the longer I stayed on plan, the fewer cravings for unhealthy foods I had. Now, it is very, very rare for me to crave anything except healthy and OP things. I'm far more likely to crave yogurt with Fiber One, than ice cream
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:11 PM   #10  
I will be positive

S/C/G: 224/183/135

Height: 5'4"

I know if I'm craving something then it's going to haunt me until I have it. So if I don't have the calories for it that day then I fit it in to my calories the next day.
inspired by you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 10:18 AM   #11  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

If I crave something, I first wait to see if the craving passes. It often does. If the craving continues for a few days, I find a way to work it into my plan.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 10:42 AM   #12  
Workin' It

If I'm craving something for the most part I find a way to make it work into my calories, if not that day then another day. I don't see that as giving up or giving in to the craving, I see it as planning out an indulgence. Now, sometimes I do just give in to a craving for whatever reason or another, but those times are farther between than they used to be.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 02:34 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 213/ticker/155

Height: 5'9"

I don't crave things very often, and when I do they're generally reasonable things, like strawberries or soup. I've always listened to cravings (real cravings, not wanting nachos because I saw nachos on TV) as signals telling me I'm missing out on a particular nutrient, so if I wake up one day and want some weird food more than anything, you bet I go and eat it. I always work it out with my calories in/calories out for the day, though, even if that means walking 2 miles to the store or restaurant to buy it.
jajabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 03:00 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

It depends.....If it is something that I can work into my plan then I'll go ahead and give in. I figure my body isn't totally crazy and has a pretty good idea of what it wants. If it is beyond my normal plan then I'll usually not give in, unless I have planned the indulgence out in advance (24 hours is usually my limit) and have a chance to work in some damage control (extra exercise). Of course there are times when I just gobble stuff up, but that is not the norm.
MonteCristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 03:03 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

don't give up never, or always give up? That's kind of how I read the poll options. If I'm seriously craving something, I eat it, and either figure it into my calories, or excersize more to burn them off.

It's not about limiting yourselves from things you love to eat, it's about not over eating and binging on the things all the time.
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote