Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

View Poll Results: How does elliptical training compare to other cardio re: calories burned?
replies 1 50.00%
threads 1 50.00%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2002, 12:44 PM   #1  

Default elliptical trainer vs. "other" cardio

I can't seem to find any information regarding calories burned using the elliptical trainer vs. other types of cardio. Which burns the most calories??
Old 10-03-2002, 09:06 PM   #2  

Default Cardio...

Hi there. Although the number of "calories burned" isn't really accurate, you can still use it to gauge how hard you are working each time you're on a machine. I think elliptical trainer is one of the best machines. If I walk, I do so outside and when I get back to jogging, I'll do that on a track or outside too. I don't like treadmills.

From what I've seen, ellipticals burn the most calories in a certain amount of time compared to other machines. In 45 minutes I normally burn about 750 calories on it. Today I did 35 minutes and burned about 650. Just depends on your starting weight, the resistance and incline.

I love ellipticals..it's the only machine I use now.

CD
Old 10-06-2002, 09:43 AM   #3  

I am not really sure what burns the most calories, but I really like the elliptical trainers. I feel like I get a better workout on them, which makes me believe that they burn more calories. Not sure though!
Old 10-06-2002, 06:38 PM   #4  

Default I love my eliptical trainer

Hello,
I love my eliptical trainer . I have to exercise at home because Im too far away from any gym. I have had other peices of equipment but this seems to be the best for me. I try to do 45
min (-400cal per session) at 3.0 miles per hr. Ive heard of people
saying they have burned 750 in the same time, I must be doing
something wrong, I have about as much tension as I can handle on it. I have been exercising for about 3 years on it and I would
like to be getting the best out of my workouts, or its a waste of
time. I am 4 ft 11 and weigh 140lbs but would like to see 120
and see my size 8's on me instead of in my drawer.

Confused in the south
Old 10-07-2002, 03:17 AM   #5  

Hi there Songbird! I'm sure you're doing just fine on your elliptical trainer. It's not easy, and 45 minutes is great work. The reasons why I would burn more calories than you would be the differences in the machines that we use - it's very unlikely that we're using the same one. I use one at the gym. Also, I weigh almost 100 pounds more than you! A heavier person is going to burn more calories just because I'm pushing around 227 pounds plus whatever resistance I'm using!

I think the best way to gauge your workout is by looking at repetitions. I'm not sure about your elliptical, but at the gym mine has a repetitions per minute gauge and a total repetitions section. Try to increase the repetitions per minute. So, if you normally stay around 120, try to stay at 140. Or, try to increase your overal repetitions. When I weighed less, I used to use the elliptical for 60-65 minutes. I would "burn" over 1000 calories and sometimes I'd get over 10,000 repetitions. Last week I did 55 minutes one day and got about 7500 repetitions total. So, I'm far away from my old self. My goal is to get there again, but 55 minutes nearly killed me! LOL! So, I'm just trying to maximize what I can do at 45 minutes and stick with that until I'm ready to jump another five minutes, then another five minutes after that.

Hope that helps! Oh, also, remember that the more incline you use, you're really working your leg muscles, so it's more or less building muscle, which will keep your weight steady. My brother (personal trainer) says I should keep the incline low for more of a weight loss workout. That's hard for me because I think a higher incline is easier lol.

Anyway, best wishes! You can acheive your goal, it just takes time and patience!

CD
Old 10-07-2002, 08:21 PM   #6  

Hello CD,
Thanks for the info. I have a pro-form 485E. It has no incline. I
tried one at a hotel Gym that had an incline and I found it MUCH more difficult. Mine doesnt have a repititions counter. It has cal,
distance, time, laps and speed. If I burn 400 cal in 45 min ......believe me its kicking my a**!!!lol Of course it would be
nice if I didnt put all the calories back after I raid the fridge!!! 400
cal gone in five min!!!!! Some days are better than others. I didnt drag my but out of bed and work out this morning .. and now I feel guilty... I WILL DO IT TOMARROW!!!
Songbird ( S.B)
Old 10-07-2002, 09:22 PM   #7  

SB -
don't feel guilty! no one says that you have to exercise EVERY day. Just do whatever is best for you. I usually find if I skip a day or two, I work out extra hard the next time

I would LOVE to have an elliptical at home...my fiancee says that I'd end up not using it after a while, and he may be right!

CD
Old 10-07-2002, 09:50 PM   #8  

CD
My husband said that about mine.... I proved him wrong!!! I try
to work out at least 4 times a week. I just feel better when I do.
My husband has finally started working out and I want to encourage him to continue... but I dont know what to say. He has "much" more to loose that I do and has never enjoyed exercise of any kind unless it was a team sport. One day he just told me he used it. I told him I thought it was "wonderful". He has lost weight before and gained it back again ... as I guess we all have but I seariously worry about his health. I dont want him to quit this time.. I know I cant do it for him either. Have you got any ideas? I would sure appreciate some. thanks for being a
"BUDDY" SB.
Old 10-08-2002, 06:26 PM   #9  

Songbird -
That's really great that your DH is starting exercising!

My fiancee, before he and I met over 4 years ago, weighed in the 350-360's. Maybe even more. He was a big kid. In 1996, he lost the weight by doing a lot of walking, then he started running. Then he and I met in 1998 and we ate out a lot! I was around 170 when we met. He gained and then joined the military...he lost about 50 pounds during basic training and came back really skinny, around 215 - he is 6'3 and for him that's kinda thin. He gained again and I gained even more. Now he's around 260. He's in Uzbekistan actually right now in the military, and he'll probably have lost some by the time he gets back. When we first met, he and I used to go out on night runs but that stopped quickly. So, when he gets back, I want us to start doing that again. He gains and loses really quickly.

I told him in my letters that I want us to totally change our lifestyles. Now that I'm on WW, we need to. We eat out too much and don't cook in enough. I'm out of college now and I'm not so busy so I can cook every day now. That helps. But he and I have to make sure that we stay active. That's the culprit.

Anyway, the best thing you can do to help him is to exercise with him. I loved our late-night jogs. You two can try to find a time a few times a week to just go out and walk. It's easier done together than alone. Good luck!

PS- I am on a CardioQueens thread in the Exercise forum - feel free to join the few of us, okay?

CD
Old 10-10-2002, 05:19 PM   #10  

The elliptical will burn more cals. You guys aren't looking at the calories the machines says that you burn are you? If you are I have some good news for you. You are burning more that the machine says. The machine is set for the "ideal" person. So if a regular person gets on you will be burning more b/c there is more of you to move around.

The elliptical works better b/c your legs never straighten so your leg muscles are working the whole time. I know this sounds crazy but for a split second when you leg straightens when you are walking your muscles relax. If you never straighten them they will work the entire time.
Old 10-10-2002, 06:10 PM   #11  

Kempyd,

No matter what, the cals burned are never accurate, especially when the machine does not have where you can enter in your weight. The machine I use lets you enter your weight in so it's more accurate, but nothing will ever be accurate. But it's a good way to gauge how you are performing from day to day.

That would be nice if it really WAS burning more than what it says!

CD
Old 10-11-2002, 11:16 AM   #12  

CD,
Ever though you are entering in your weight it still is not right. The machine was not set to take into consideration diff. body types. You could have a 5'7" 160 lbs woman with no muscle and a 5'7" 160 lbs woman with lots of muscle. It will say that both women burned the same amount of calories but in actuality they did not.
Closed Thread