General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 04-03-2009, 03:41 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

Default Let's talk Shoes!

I am in desperate need of new shoes. I need a pair of black shoes ( for black pants at work ) a pair of brown ( for my khaki slacks at work ) and a new pair of workout shoes/sneakers.

What are your favorite brands, and where are your fav places to shop for them. I've heard Merril's are really good, anyone try those for workout shoes?
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 03:45 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

For workout shoes, get thee to a running store. They will watch your gait and recommend something. They are pricey, but also worth it. And if you're going to be in those shoes all the time working out, you need them to protect you from injury. So get professionally fitted!

What sort of work do you do? My partner is a floral designer and on her feet all day, and she LOVES her Sanita clogs (they were Dansko before, but then Dansko and Sanita split based on business disagreements). They are comfy enough that she (with myriad foot problems) can stand in them all day. She has a black pair and a brown pair. They do look, well, like clogs, but they're cute enough for work.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 03:54 PM   #3  

I agree Dansko are great!!!I work 12 hours shifts and they are very comfortable.Go to Zapos.com!!!
harrismm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 03:59 PM   #4  
Triathlon chica

S/C/G: 270/182.5/??

Height: 5'6"

Dansko is AWESOME. Pricey, but so comfortable. I've been dealing with plantar fasciitis for months, and it's a lot better since getting Danskos.
Athenawithheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 08:30 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
For workout shoes, get thee to a running store. They will watch your gait and recommend something. They are pricey, but also worth it. And if you're going to be in those shoes all the time working out, you need them to protect you from injury. So get professionally fitted!

What sort of work do you do? My partner is a floral designer and on her feet all day, and she LOVES her Sanita clogs (they were Dansko before, but then Dansko and Sanita split based on business disagreements). They are comfy enough that she (with myriad foot problems) can stand in them all day. She has a black pair and a brown pair. They do look, well, like clogs, but they're cute enough for work.
Thanks everyone! Sounds like Danskos are great! I work in accounting, but wear lots of khakis and black slacks. So, I usually sit all day, but I need em to be comfy.

How much are we talking for pro fitted sneakers?
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 08:54 AM   #6  

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornToFly View Post
Depends on what they recommend, but don't skimp on the work-out shoes because of price! A wrong choice can get you into a lot of physical problems.
It is so worth doing this properly.
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 02:18 PM   #7  

Quote:
$60-100 for cross-trainers (you haven't said exactly what kinds of stuff you want them for, so I'm guessing as to type).
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 02:38 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I want all 4 colors of these shoes (the top row, at least at this moment in time):

Dr Scholls "Deify" in green, black, blue and pink/orange

Last edited by JulieJ08; 04-04-2009 at 02:39 PM.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 09:25 PM   #9  
Future Glamazon

S/C/G: 254/198/170

Height: 6'2"

Zappos is THE best website for shoes I have found!

They carry everything from expensive designer shoes to affordable everyday stuff, and all sorts of athletic shoes. It's easy to find what you want, too, since you can search by size, color, type of shoe and so on.

As for work-out shoes, I just get whatever fits best. So, I can't recommend a specific brand.

If you are looking for running shoes, though, I recommend going to a store where they will watch you run in different shoes so you will get the best pair for your feet/running form.
Apple Cheeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 11:43 PM   #10  

Julie-I hope you get comission.I just ordered them in black after reading your post.LOL!!!
harrismm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 01:16 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrismm View Post
Julie-I hope you get comission.I just ordered them in black after reading your post.LOL!!!
Aw man! Tell me if they're comfy!

Another pair I crave:

Boots!

Last edited by JulieJ08; 04-05-2009 at 01:19 AM.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:45 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

i also love the brand Sofft. Its a europian brand...a bit pricey...but so cute and comfy...check out their website
http://www.sofftshoe.com/
their heels are very comfy because they have lots of cushion in them. i like these shoes alot.
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:48 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 184/Ticker/150

Height: 5'5

I have 4 pair of Danskos....black and brown for everyday work, purple suede for Friday's, and bright red patent leather when I feel like being obnoxious!

I've been wearing Danskos almost exclusively (I have bad foot troubles) for four years and can't recommend them enough.

I also really like Naot's.

I buy 99% of my shoes from zappos....love that place!
firefliesandpixies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:57 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

That page that Julie posted is dangerous! So many cute shoes! Those Women's Seashore are fabulous!

Oh I should probably stick to the original question too ... I've worn Avias for years. Once I figured out what was a good fit, I just kept buying the same ones. I have had a fitting in a running place and learned a lot mostly about wear and when to replace my shoes.

Last edited by srmb60; 04-05-2009 at 09:59 AM.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:35 PM   #15  
Cheesecake? Yes plz!

S/C/G: 155/149.8/135

I love shopping at DSW for shoes -- always have good luck there. You can find anything from athletics to heels to boots to sandals to evening shoes.

A woman I work with has a pair of Dansko's (she's got bad back problems, as I do) and really likes them. I considered buying them and I think they are super cute too!
LuckyJules is offline   Reply With Quote