Old 04-01-2009, 04:40 PM   #1  
Coloradomom

S/C/G: 147/142/135

Height: 5'4"

Default Finally started today, wanting to lose 15-20 lbs by my brother's wedding

Hi to everyone. I'm 36, and always struggle with those few extra pounds. I am a size 10, but I would like to lose 15-20 lbs. When I look at the charts they say I should be 15-20 pounds lighter. So, my younger brother is getting married June 13th, and I would like to lose it by then. I started by getting organic fruits and veggies delivered to my door, and I'm going to try to incorporate them into all of my meals. My struggle is my husband. He eats, eats, and eats more. He needs to lose 50 lbs or more, and he doesn't want to, or doesn't try, so I feel I real struggle with watching him eating anything and everything. Anybody else out there trying to do this on their own?, and not having the hubby's support?
frustrated mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 08:53 PM   #2  
LBH

S/C/G: 279.8/276.9/170

Height: 5'10"

Frustrated, Do you normally cook meals for the family? Maybe if you just start making healthy stuff, DH will eat it and not really think about it? Just a thought! You can do it!
LBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 11:51 PM   #3  
Maintanier to the MAX

S/C/G: Maintainer

I totally agree with Lauren. If you are the one buying the groceries/going grocery shopping you can bring in only healthy things, not the junk food.

Almonds are a great snack, as is fruit leather for a sweet treat. I like yogurt with a handful of granola and blueberries and strawberries.

Maybe by DH seeing you trying to gain control over the not so healthy alternatives and bringing in all the healthy stuff he'll join you in your dieting adventures. Who know's he may surprise you. It may not be tonight, tomoorw or even a week from now... but in due time. Especially if you rid the junk foods.

I am not saying I don't have junk food in my house, but now I prefer a handful of almonds or a bunch of grapes over them. I do favor chocolate... but only after I've eaten my meal and had a healthier snack first, then I'll have a smaller portion of it... as compared to having it all on its own, I know then I'd devour it.

Good luck!
PearFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 04:30 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 152/152/140

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by frustrated mom View Post
Hi to everyone. I'm 36, and always struggle with those few extra pounds. I am a size 10, but I would like to lose 15-20 lbs. When I look at the charts they say I should be 15-20 pounds lighter. So, my younger brother is getting married June 13th, and I would like to lose it by then. I started by getting organic fruits and veggies delivered to my door, and I'm going to try to incorporate them into all of my meals. My struggle is my husband. He eats, eats, and eats more. He needs to lose 50 lbs or more, and he doesn't want to, or doesn't try, so I feel I real struggle with watching him eating anything and everything. Anybody else out there trying to do this on their own?, and not having the hubby's support?
I have a wedding that weekend too and then my 21 year high school reunion the following month.; I too an a size 10 and would like to lose about the same as you 15-20. Such a struggle! I am single and afraid to date because of being judged. I want to walk in the room and feel good, not ashamed. I know its all in my head and I have to stop living like this. Its not healthy,.

I feel your pain but you have to let your hubby live his life as long as he is healthy (??) and happy with himself. You need to do what you want for your health, mental and physical! I think eventually his bad habits will be overshadowed by your good habits. My Best friend went though the same thing and her hubby wound up losing 40 pounds just from her influence on the meals and snacks. (grrrrr!!!) best of luck, Hope to make lots of new friends here.
Panda1208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 07:18 PM   #5  
Coloradomom

Default I love all of the support here!

My husband is healthy, I guess that he has no health issues yet, but I feel that if he doesn't lose the weight, he might. He needs to lose 50 lbs, and probably could lose 75 to be at a healthy weight. I just don't like the influence that it has on our 6 and 10 yr old kids. He has even told me that he goes hunting for food, after I go to bed, even if he isn't hungry, he still eats. I try to keep healthy stuff in the house- yogurt, fruit, veggies, cheese sticks, raisins, cottage cheese, oatmeal. I have to have some baking stuff, so when I need to bake, I have it, because we live an hour from a grocery store. So, he will find the pb, and the choc. chips, or cocoa, or anything that he can melt, mix, etc, and then eat. I have been trying to make healthier meals, and keep the junk out of the house, but if someone chooses to keep eating everything, the calories still add up. I just pray that he would do this with me. We have made healthier fast food habits- our closest fast food is an hour away, so we usually go to Arby's or Subway. I will try to just plug away. Thanks for all of the support.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:29 AM   #6  
My New Hamshire Red Peep

S/C/G: 173/172/130

Height: 5'2

My husband has a much faster metabolism than I do plus a really active job. He can eat way more junk than I can. I do keep junky things in the house for him and treats for the kids but I try not to buy things that I have a hard time staying away from.

The best thing I do is to write down everything I eat. It helps keep me accountable. I bought a cute little notebook from the store and a cute pen...it makes me want to write in it more.
Losing Amber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 01:36 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Do it for yourself. It is hard, if not impossible to get someone else to diet if they don't want to. Set a good example and hope for the best.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 08:25 AM   #8  
no longer single

S/C/G: 225/220.5/150

Height: 5'5"

take advantage of the recipes on this site...there are great recipes that he won't know are good for him and you can secretly smile to yourself while he's enjoying them
me4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 10:55 AM   #9  
Coloradomom

Default Husband finally said yes!

I talked to my husband again, and just told him how much I wish he would lose weight for his health, and we did Atkins together 10 yrs ago, after our firstborn. So, I suggested we try that again, but a little different. He doesn't like to feel deprived, and neither does anyone. We have some friends that went on a diet that they don't eat more than 100 carbs in a day, so that is what we are going to try. Wish me the best, because I'm doing all the research and recipe looking, and grocery shopping, and cooking, and I will have to stay on top of him, and see what he is eating, when I'm not.