Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2002, 08:29 AM   #1  

Default Resuming the journey

Hi--I'm new to the forum. I lost 30 pounds over a year ago,
need to lose 30 more. However, I'm asthmatic, and have
to be on Prednisone periodically. Thus I end up eating
anything that isn't nailed down!!! I like to exercise, and have
been doing a lot of walking, without much effect on my weight.
So...I'm going to try Tae Bo, and resume my weight training.
I'm really glad I found this web site, and wish all well.
Old 10-01-2002, 08:56 AM   #2  

Talking

Congrats on your 30 lbs. loss! I have 30 lbs. to lose also, and hopefully this message board will motivate me to kick butt! Good Luck with your journey to losing weight.

I think I'm on the same diet you're on...see food! I like Leslie Sansone WATP tapes.

Last edited by Earthy; 10-01-2002 at 08:58 AM.
Old 10-01-2002, 09:03 AM   #3  

Thanks!! I get frustrated when I start, and nothing happens for
a while. I told my doctor, I feel like I have to jackhammer it off.
I'm reaaly hoping changing my routine will help. Plus, I'm going
to start a food journal, that worked well last time..."Bite and
write"
Old 10-01-2002, 08:03 PM   #4  

Smile I'm back to it, too!

Hi There!

I am brand new to this web site, but not brand new to weight loss! This is the 3rd major weight loss attempt I have undertaken. I just started back up - I'm on day 16.

I am very psyched about this site - I can certainly use the support and encouragement, and I want to offer it to others! Reading the posts from others who sound JUST LIKE ME is so comforting! Of course I know so many of us have weight problems, but to hear that others use the same words to describe their moods, frustrations, celebrations.... it just made me feel better. Like I didn't have to expect so much of myself.

Anyway, I am following a modified WW points plan (modified in that I don't go to the meetings as the leaders were uninspiring). I walk every day on my treadmill - I am up to 45 mins at 3.5 mph! Want to add other exercise for variety. I have had very good experiences with walking, step and cycling when I do at least 45 mins of it each day.

My goal is big: I've got 85 lbs to lose. But instead of focusing on that big number, I'm trying to just deal with a 10- 20 lb loss, and then I go to the next 10 - 20 lbs.

I would love to be a "support buddy" - we can support each other and vent on this forum.

Take good care, keep motivated! WE CAN DO IT!

Autumn
Old 10-01-2002, 08:08 PM   #5  

Wink Another Thought!

I forgot to mention that a food journal is the BEST idea to help you keep on track. I've allowed myself to believe that I was eating very little when I don't keep track. The food journal doesn't lie! Try fitday.com - I keep my food intake as well as my exercise log there. You might like that!

Autumn
Be strong and keep it going!
Old 10-02-2002, 04:34 PM   #6  

I'm sure glad I can find buddies in here. I also started WW,
but quit going. I'm not off to a good start with shifting back
to my eating patterns that were more in line with my lifestyle
change. That is how I see this thing, it isn't temporary, it's
what I need to do for the rest of my life. The exercising
kicks me in, I love it.
Old 10-02-2002, 08:15 PM   #7  

Take it a day at a time! Because you are so right - it's a lifetime commitment, or lifesyle, so you want to find what works for you, and not just to lose the weight but to keep it off. So find the right answer for you - there are lots of programs to follow. I think WW is a great one because it seems the most realistic about balanced eating, and it also transfers to maintenance so well. But it's not for everyone. I tried NutriSystem about 10 yrs ago - and I did great - lost over 80lbs! It really worked! But I let myself drift away from the maintenance program (convinced myself I could do it on my own!), then got pregnant, and well, the rest of the story is why I'm here now!

Something I just learned recently, altho it seems so obvious - is that processed foods are bad news. Well, of course they are, right? I guess it just sunk in. Anyway, I've been really focusing on eating non-processed foods, and it's amazing how great I feel, and the weight is coming off. Maybe that's an approach you can try - see if it works for you.

I love the exercise too. It makes me feel great. I wonder why I ever let myself stop doing it.

I had a good day today regarding eating and exercise ... now that I'm in the zone, it's pretty easy. Just gotta stay in the zone!

My little one is needing assistance for bedtime, so off I run!

Hang in there, take it a day at time and let me know how you're doing!!!
Old 10-03-2002, 02:46 PM   #8  

You are so right about processed food!! I have been frequenting
the local "health food" store, and we recently started a
co-op at work that gets food from a natural food distributor.
One of my children has food allergies, so that keeps me on
that line anyway. So far, I've done fairly well. I need to push
the water more. I also need to not let stress overtake me, and
set realistic goals for what I can get done every day. Keep
up your great work!!!
Old 10-05-2002, 08:20 AM   #9  
living 1 day at a time

It sometimes seems that the easiest foods to cook are the worst for you. I have such a hectic schedual that I have relied heavily on the bad stuff in the past. And this lifestyle change, which is also how I look at it, is just too new for me to use when my schedual gets hectic. I have 36 years of not really caring or knowing how dangerous the food I put in my mouth is versus a month and a half of my new attitude. I really need to put together a set of healthful recipes that I can cook in a hurry. Maybe making dinner the night before when I know I am going to have a rough day. I also need to keep a food journal. You really can fool yourself. Well, keep on plugging guys. And thanks for the support.
Old 10-07-2002, 06:15 AM   #10  

I also was not paying attention to what I was eating. Two
years ago, I had to be hospitalized twice in 3 weeks for
Asthma. My doctor pulled me out of work afterwards for 3-4
weeks. That time at home was the best thing that ever
happpened to me. I had to start looking at myself and
my behaviors. I realized that it was ok for me to make
myself and my health a priority, with diet being the
basis. Even though I know these things, I still struggle after
having a run on Prednisone, but once I get going I'm fine.
Old 10-08-2002, 03:16 PM   #11  

Talking

Day by Day....

Preplanning is a huge help - I definitely think you'll find that will work to your advantage. Look on the home page of 3FC - they've got a recipe section that you can look at for ideas.

I find I feel so much more in control when I know what the next meal(s) are going to be. Each day, I take my breakfast and lunch with me to work, and that takes away any decision making for those meals. Dinner is more flexible but I usually have it thought out by the time I am ready to make it.

Prioritizing you and your health is very important. Especially if you're having health problems. It seems selfish but you've got to do it. I try to balance it by exercising before everyone is up, and not eliminating all the bad things that my family wants but I'm not eating.

Another thing I'm doing much better with is using whatever support is out there... this web site, "buddying up", motivational tapes, etc. This is a big deal, and I need help. I also am dealing with the "bad day" or the "binge" much better - in the past, I'd do the typical thing of giving up if I had had a bad day. This time, I seem to coping with a bad day much better, and that seems to keep those bad days to a minimum.

Hang in there, and let me know how you're doing!
Old 10-08-2002, 06:54 PM   #12  

Thank you so much for your encouragement!!!! I got off to a
semi bad start to the week. I did something I had never done
before in my life.... I ate an entire pint of Ben and Jerry's!!!
I don't even know why I did it, I just kept eating. I tried to
figure out what was really going on after, and I can't.
Anyway, am back on track, and my motivation level is much
higher now. You hang in there too!! We will do this.
Closed Thread