Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 03-31-2009, 01:27 PM   #1  
Iced tea addict

S/C/G: 185/ticker~/137

Height: 5'7"

Default Lunch ideas!

During the week, I have class all morning and afternoon mixed in with work. I don't get a lunch break, so I bring something I can fit into my bag that requires at most a microwave (which is available for use) so I can eat while work is slow.

My problem is I'm having a hard time finding convenient foods that aren't completely unhealthy. Right now, I'm doing oatmeal packets - and they're fine - but I'd like a bit more variety.

So please, does anybody have any other suggestions? I don't want very big meals - just something to hold me over until dinner that evening.

Any suggestions are appreciated. ^^

Edit: Aaaand, sorry if the thread is in the wrong spot. xD; This looked like the best place to stick it.

Last edited by Yonder; 03-31-2009 at 01:27 PM.
Yonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 02:44 PM   #2  
Trying so hard....

S/C/G: 298/298/145

Soy nuts--low carb and lower in fat than regular nuts.

Yogurt--if you could pack like a lunch box that conserves the cold maybe?

cheese sticks--a light cheese of some sort?

fruit--apples, oranges, bananas, pears

Frozen Weight Watchers "Smart Ones" or similar---just take it out of the freezer in the morning when you leave home, then when lunchtime comes around it still be cold and partially unthawed so you can microwave it quickly.

Thats about all I got........
MugCanDoIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 02:51 PM   #3  

Wraps. Save my life. make a bunch of them, keep them in the freezer and then pop them in the microwave at lunch time. You can tuck in some spare veggies in the lunch sack too. Turkey, chicken, tuna, black beans rice..anything can be shoved into a yummy La Tortilla!

You do need to make sure you get enough of your calories during the day, even if it is in small mini meals so you aren't famished at dinnertime. Also, eating more often duringt he day will keep your metabolism going and keep your energy level up.
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 11:18 PM   #4  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

• PB&J: totally portable, doesn't require refrigeration and yummy
  • Other sandwiches, there's lots that you could make that would make it through the morning without refrigeration. Just leave off the mayo.
  • 1/4 tube polenta, cooked chicken breast, refried beans, and salsa. Put it all in a tupperware container, then pop it in the microwave until it's hot and it's like a chicken tamale.
  • Homemade rice or pasta salads.
  • Flavored tuna, like Bumblebee Tuna Sensations. Throw in a can of that and a couple of slices of whole wheat bread and you're good to go.

You could greatly expand your meal choices if you invested in a small insulated pack. The Container Store sells tupperware containers that have an ice pack built into the lid, that would also keep your food cold for the few hours that you need it to stay cold.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 12:16 AM   #5  

Soup and half a sandwich for me!Fills me up.Easy and quick meal.
harrismm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 03:01 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 190/ticker/150

Half a yam zapped in the microwave, and a small amount of margarine on top.
lovesjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 05:34 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 140/120/118

Height: 5'3

Barbara,

I love your idea of the polenta w/ beans, chicken and salsa! I am definitely going to try that one! I haven't seen you post much around here lately and you always have great ideas and recipes!!
azmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 07:56 PM   #8  
Iced tea addict

S/C/G: 185/ticker~/137

Thanks for the ideas! The wraps one sounds really tempting, especially.

And the chicken tamale-esque meal sounds good too. I'm a sucker for spicy. I'll add in peppers. >=D
Yonder is offline   Reply With Quote