Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-30-2009, 09:54 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 255/248/160

Height: 5'11"

Default *grumble grumble*

I finally managed to weigh myself last Wednesday and today I decided to check again. The good news is that I've gone down a few pounds but the bad is that my gym is renovating and they're temporarily taking away the scales. This just frustrates me to no end and the gym is the only place I can weigh myself. I like seeing (or not seeing) my progress. I suppose I'll have to keep an eye out for pay-per-use scales. I just hate weighing myself like that. I expect people to point and laugh . Ah well, it won't last forever.

MN.
ManyNamed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:01 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 200/134/118

Height: 5'3

Why don't you buy a scale? Then you won't have to worry about not being able to weigh. But- if you're anything like me having one at home will be even worse lol I'm addicted to it. I weigh myself like 3 times most days, except when I cheat, dont want to go near it then.
Caleighsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:41 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

Do you have a nearby family doctor? I'm sure that he/she wouldn't mind you coming in to weigh, especially knowing that you are trying to improve your health.
Jacqui_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 12:18 AM   #4  

Caleighsmommy, that's exactly why I don't buy a scale. If I get one I'll be weighing myself day and night! Monitoring it that much makes me feel like I make no progress at all, so it's weekly or fortnightly only .

Jacqui_D, that's an idea but they're very busy and the scales are in the doc's office. Hmm, that or something similar is still something to consider.

MN.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:37 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 227/206/130

Height: 5'5"

I weigh myself every morning. It really isnt great to do that because you can be easily discouraged. The thing you have to understand is that your weight definitely fluctuates throughout the day. So, it is probably good that you cant weigh yourself everyday at the gym. If you work hard through the week, it would be a nice surprise if you could wait til the end of the week and weigh in at the doctors office or something as earlier mentioned. I try to not get on the scale daily - I just cant help it AAAgggghhh!!
Lovlab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 12:47 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 307/lost 140+ lbs/125

I weigh myself once a week on a scale at home. Doing it every day would drive me crazy
teawithsunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:35 AM   #7  
Rowing Mama

S/C/G: 202/ticker/160

Height: 5'10"

It's frustrating when our routines get changed and we have no control, isn't it? Maybe you can view this as a 'scale vacation' and find something else to focus on? (Although that might make me crazy! I weigh each morning, and then once a week at WW for my official weight. I've had one too many times where the scale jumps up 2-3# at WW after a week of hard work and POP.... by weighing daily I can see the fluctuations... knowing I was 3# lower the day before weigh-in helps me not get discouraged.)
julieofarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 11:09 AM   #8  

Height: 5'7"

I weigh at home daily. I was going into my dr office and weighing weekly for a long time.THen just kinda got out of the habit. It was nice to see it on their scales ad they actually put in on my record. I also got my blood pressure checked and it was all free. I went in yesterday to get my blood pressure checkd and now my dr wants to look at my food journal to see why my weight loss has slowed so much. Most dr are happy to see anyone trying to improve their health.
dgramie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 01:10 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 201/198.6/140

Height: 5'4"

OH man that would drive me nuts! I hope the renovations are quickly over! I am a daily weigher (well to be honest I weigh at night too sometimes - I always know what my weight will be the next day by weighing at night...oh my, I think I sound obsessive! ).
sept15lija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 01:30 PM   #10  

Height: 5'3"

Have you asked the owner of the gym if he/she would consider moving the scale somewhere accessible? They're not *closing* the gym, are they?
rachinma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 02:44 PM   #11  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

I, too, am addicted to the scale....I weigh myself every morning after I potty before getting into the shower. I think it helps me stay within either side of my goal weight .
annie175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 02:45 PM   #12  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

within 5 lbs either side of my goal weight...duh
annie175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 03:35 PM   #13  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

I agree . . . take a little scale vacation. Chances are that any other scale will weigh you differently anyway. No mtter how often you weigh, you need to stick with the same scale -- and don't forget, the number is just one measure of how you are doing. Try thinking about the way you feel and the wayn your clothes fit. Take some measurements and compare those over time too. You are so much more than just a number on a scale, Chickie.
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 05:30 PM   #14  

Thanks everyone! I think I will just wait until the gym has done its thing and the scales are returned. Should my diet go as planned, I figure I'll have a pleasant surprise! I will check my inches, though. That was a good reminder. I tend to rely overly much on weight, which isn't good because I'm putting on a lot of muscle weight at the moment.

MN.