General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 03-29-2009, 08:51 PM   #1  

Default MP3 player.

Hi there
I wasnt sure where to post this.
I am hoping I got the right place.
Anyway. If not maybe someone can tell where to go.
Here is my question. I have been thinking about getting a MP3 player or IPOD. Not sure what the difference is.
But the one I was thinking about getting. Is a SanDisk Sansa Clip MP3.
I dont have alot of money to spend on one. And then I need something that will be easy for someone who doesnt understand all this new stuff. Thought maybe this would be a good first timer's.
So any help would be apprecitated.
Thanks
coco
Sorry if I posted in the wrong spot.
coco99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 09:20 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 219/TICKER/145

Height: 5'10"

An Ipod is a form of an mp3 player, it's just a popular brand (and overpriced as far as I'm concerned). I have a Sansa Fuze 2Gb and I really like it. They're very user friendly, and mine has an FM tuner in it (so I can listen to the radio) a feature that Ipods don't have. If you're not concerned about brand names and labels then I wouldn't suggest an Ipod. The sansa works great for me, and doesn't hold a ton of music, but enough for what I need! Hope this helped!
whiskeygirl862 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 09:41 PM   #3  
Getting back on track...

S/C/G: 195.2/see ticker/167

Height: 5' 8.75"

My first MP3 player was a Samsung YP-U3...unglamorous name, slow start here in the US (was first debuted in Europe) but this little thing is amazing. I still have it and wouldn't trade it. They run about $60 in the US now.....simple, easy to use, hold a good amount of music, FM radio tuner, and voice recorder too if you feel the need to record something.

My husband as a YP-U3, too....his has been through the washing machine three times, the second time falling completely apart.....we put it back together (no duct tape needed, the parts just snap back together) and the darn thing still works like a charm!

I love my U3...highly recommend them! A good idea for purchasing electronics like this is to research reviews on Amazon.com, epinions.com, and other review sites. That's how we found the U3 a couple years ago. Now the U3 is available in the States at BestBuy and the other usual electronics stores, but the reviews are the way to go to find out from other users the pros and cons of each item. That way you can find the one that will work best for your individual needs.
leela0730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:21 AM   #4  

Hi
Thank you for your input on the MP3 player.
I was on some site yesterday. I think maybe on for consumer report. And what I was reading on the SanDisk Sansa seemed to be pretty good.
I dont need anything fancy. Just something that when I am walking outside or on the treadmill. I can listen to music. And to take camping with us.
I have a little CD player. But it eats the batteries. And it is bulky to carry when walking. I usually put it in a fanny pack to carry. Thought with the mp3 it had rechargable batteries. thought maybe that would be better.
Again THANK YOU for your help. I will let you know what I decide to get.
coco
Old 03-30-2009, 09:27 AM   #5  
XOXO

S/C/G: 268/249/145

Height: 5'4"

Don't get a Sandisk, they are crappy. I have a zen creative and they were the first to make MP3 players. I have owned two in the last 5 or 6 years, that's how good they are. They are not very expensive and they have awesome sound. Mine plays videos, the radio, pictures, all kinds of stuff for like $99. I would get the kind you charge up on the computer, mine lasts for about a week fully charged and I use it alot. Just my opinion.
Devsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:31 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

I have the Sansa Clip! I love mine. I got the pink 2GB one. It's got about 20 CDs worth of music on it, and could hold a few more. It charges fairly quickly. Putting music on it is too easy, you just drop the files into the "music" folder, don't need to use a special program or anything. The sound quality is pretty good. The earbuds that come with it are cheap and not that great, so you'll probably want to get new headphones/earbuds. I LOOOOVE the volume buttons on the side, that's really convenient. The display is small, of course, but really bright and easy to read.

Edited to add: I almost forgot, the BEST feature of course is the one it's named after -- the clip! It's so tiny and lightweight and easy to clip to your clothes... you can't even feel that it's there... it's perfect for working out!

The only thing I don't like about it is that there's always a pause in between tracks. So if you're listening to songs that are meant to go seamlessly from one track to another (really long classical songs split into multiple tracks, or whatever) there will be a short pause. My husband points out that I'm whiney and you can't expect a $40 MP3 player to find/load songs instantly.

The FM radio receiver is kinda weak, too... I usually can't get all that many stations... but I never really use that feature anyway.

Last edited by mayness; 03-30-2009 at 09:33 AM.
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:44 AM   #7  

Hi
Again thanks for the input.
For first time buying. I dont want to put alot of money into one. Until I see if I can operate it without too much trouble. This computer stuff just blows my mind. I have trouble working my cell phone. And then if I like it and use it alot. I can upgrade down the road. I also spend a good bit of time in the DR's office or hospital. So thought this would help pass the time.
And I dont need all that stuff for videos. and things like that. I just want to listen to some music.
Again THANKS.
coco
Old 03-30-2009, 02:30 PM   #8  

I have a Sansa and like it a lot. If I were replacing today I'd go for the Sansa Clip--$40, 2 GB, size of a matchbook.

If you're looking for something to use camping, think about how you're going to recharge batteries--does your camping come with electricity?
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 02:51 PM   #9  

I have a Sansa Clip. I got it for going to the gym. I can hold a jillion songs, fits on an armband, plays FM radio and is all I needed. I love the thing.
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 04:57 PM   #10  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I got an ipod shuffle, at a pawnshop for $35 (about half the retail - they had another there without the box or instructions for $19). The one we bought was still in the box and had all of the original instructions. There were a couple songs on it, so it had obviously been used at least once, but looked new. I did buy new earbuds because I felt a bit squeamish about using a stranger's earpiece (bleach would have disinfected fine, but I wanted softer ear buds because I have very sensitive ear canals, prone to pain and inflammation).

I LOVE the shuffle. I've seen them in pawn and thrift stores and garage sales for as little as $20. It holds an average of 250 songs, and would be cheap enough to replace, that it wouldn't be the end of the world if I lost it.

It doesn't do anything fancy, and does sound files only - no games or vids, but it suits my needs.

I would consider higher end pawn shops and thrift stores (before garage sales) because they very often have a fair return policy (always check first.)
Often they won't give cash, but they will give merchandise credit, which is fine with me, because I can always find things in such stores that I want.

Last edited by kaplods; 03-30-2009 at 04:58 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 12:32 PM   #11  

Hi
Well I took the plunge yesterday. I bought me a SanDisk Sansa Clip MP3 player. It is 8GB. I got it at Wal Mart for $50.
There was one there that had 1GB. But then they didnt have it in stock. And I think that one took AAA battery's. And the guy said I would have more money in battery's than what the player cost.
Then there was a RCA and it was also 1gb. Then he got to looking and he found the one I got. So I got it.
Now I just have to figure out how to put songs on it.
The guy said I could use my CD's at home somehow and put them on there.
Or I could go on the internet and get songs. And then he said something about Wal Mart having a card. And I could get songs throught them from the internet. I dont understand all this stuff. So hopefully I can figure it out. If not I guess I will have to get the neices to help me out.
I want to THANK everyone for their help. I will keep you updated on how I get along with it. I just hope I can read that little screen.
I think I will see if they have a case to help protect it. Dont know if they do or not. I didnt take time to look at any of that kind of stuff.
Oh and I wonder do they have a dock you can get to put them on. I see IPODS have those. As you can see. I am confused about all this stuff.
Guess I am too old to keep up with all the new things going on.
Have a great day everyone.
coco
Old 03-31-2009, 12:53 PM   #12  

MARIAMARIA
We use a camper to go. And we can hook up to electric. So taking the mp3 wouldnt be a problem.
I am too old to go camping in a tent. I cant believe how tiny this thing is. I am just hoping I can see the screen.
Thanks for your help.
coco