South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 03-29-2009, 07:38 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

Default Fashion Advice Please

This is going to sound clueless I know, but I AM clueless when it comes to fashion, so whatever... judge me.
What do people wear on their legs with dresses these days? When I was younger it was pantyhose. Seems like DD does not own a pair of pantyhose, but she wears dresses all the time, just goes barelegged or wears leggings if it's very cold (and looks cute). I gave up wearing dresses or skirts years ago, when I got too heavy. Now I would like to wear them more often. But I am very fair, and pasty white, chubby legs are just not that cute, I think. Even in the summer it doesn't feel quite right, unless it's a very casual sundress kinda thing. Plus, the shoes hurt my feet without anything on them. I don't feel right wearing a dress without a slip and hose, but does that automatically make me look like an old lady? What do other women of a certain age wear these days? After going almost 20y only wearing dresses if I had to go to a wedding, I just don't even know how to wear them any more.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 07:53 PM   #2  

I would recommend wearing opaque black stockings, instead of pantyhose. They look good with pretty much any outfit (save for those looks that are strictly "summer" because well...black legs and summer dresses don't mix) and also slim the leg. I love them. Black knit stockings/tights are great too.
sweet_talker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 08:06 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 214/210/164

Height: 5'0"

Call me old fashioned, Schmoodle, but I can't go out with a skirt on and no pantyhose. I wear a skirt/dress every Sunday and always have my hose on; even in the summer. I will wear a sundress without hose, but only if it's to a casual occasion. I think it depends on your comfort level. I don't think anyone's ever accused me of looking like an old lady.
Kim_Star060404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 08:10 PM   #4  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

The only hose I ever wear are the super sheer black in the cooler months. Otherwise, I go barelegged.

I can't be of help in the slip dept. I try to find skirts/dresses that are already lined. If not, they must at least be thick enough that you can't see through them. I don't do slips though.

I think slips can be sexy though. Given you aren't "snowing down south."
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 08:32 PM   #5  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

I go barelegged, Schmoo. Once in awhile, I'll wear black tights if it is particularly cold.

thighs...I don't even want to know what "snowing down south" means. It sounds...disturbing.
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 08:56 PM   #6  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I'm from the old school too. Too many varicosities, old scars, etc. to ever consider going bare legged. I went to a wedding not long ago and another gal my age said "I'm glad I'm not the only woman here wearing pantyhose." My daughter makes fun of me for wearing them. Black stockings would not look good with most of the stuff in my closet.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 08:58 PM   #7  
The spangled kind

S/C/G: 225/135/135

I had this conversation with my sister (the family fashionista) last week. I'm not going to barelegged either, so I asked her what would be the least unfashionable option. Her advice was black tights when that works with the outfit, or the sheerest, palest nude color hose otherwise.
Cotinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 09:00 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeffryn View Post
I go barelegged, Schmoo. Once in awhile, I'll wear black tights if it is particularly cold.

thighs...I don't even want to know what "snowing down south" means. It sounds...disturbing.

Hehehhehehee...it means your slip is showing!
Old 03-29-2009, 09:01 PM   #9  

Hey, I also want to mention that I began using the Oil of Olay Touch of Sun lotion this week. It is super sheer and builds over a few days to give you color. I have been very happy with it--no streaks or orange tone!
Old 03-29-2009, 09:46 PM   #10  

I've been wondering this same question myself. I realized the other day that I don't own any dresses. I got rid of the ones that were too big and haven't needed to get one so I haven't. But Don mentioned the other day how he really likes the look of a woman in a dress so it got me to thinking I should get one for when we go to Giovanni's (a really nice Persian restaurant he's taken me to once) or someplace similarly dressy. I just can't imagine going without pantyhose. I bet black would go over really well if my dress is the right color. I have such a hard time finding a dress I like or that looks good on me.
Barb0522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 06:57 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 206/141/139

Height: 5'9

Tan nylons are out of style?!

I was thinking of buying a dress to wear to my daughters high school graduation and I don't want to be the out of style mom
lauralyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 07:01 AM   #12  

Barb, do you ever get over to have Dim Sum on Polk? We went recently and wow--yum! We also love Giovannis.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:10 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Thanks for the input ladies. I'm glad I'm not the only one that has wondered about this. I guess I will stick to my hose and just buy some very sheer ones for summer. I have a bag of black hose somewhere that my MIL brought me years ago. As for slips, I will stick with those too. The reason being, if your skirt is not lined, and you are sitting and stand up, I dont' like having to pick my skirt out of my butt. Maybe this is not an issue for those with tiny tushies.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:53 AM   #14  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

My 2 cents
I like the way Panty hose look but I feel like a sausage in them! I do Stockings and Garters (DH LOVES THIS) or barelegged (and bask in my snowy whiteness)
Shmoo if you want to go barelegged but have the sore shoe issue they sell little socklets that go over your toes and also peds.

Here's another question
I have tanlines (sleevelines) on my arms I'd actually prefer to lighten the "tan" and not have to use fake tanner or go EEEP tanning
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 02:18 PM   #15  

Thighs - I don't tend to get down to Polk but I did enjoy Giovanni's. I noticed they are in the Passbook and keep wanting to go back. The lamb kabobs were wonderful and the Persian tea is great! Don knows the owner and he gives him some of the tea leaves so he's made it for me. I love tea.
Barb0522 is offline   Reply With Quote