Old 03-27-2009, 04:47 PM   #1  
Losing 20! :)

S/C/G: 190/190/140

Height: 5ft 5in

Unhappy Getting very discouraged :(

Im 24 and people claim that when your young you lose weight easier. I dont seem to be! Different mirrors make me look different. I look in my bathroom mirror at home and I look nice! Then when I go into a dressing room I look wide and it makes me want to give up. 135 doesnt seem to be coming fast enough. My last resort is going to be the P90X program. I DONT eat candy! I dont eat salts or chips! I limit limit limit! Small portions and everything is organic! What the heck am I supposed to do! And we all know how some skinny family members can be. "Your so fat!" Its like....you have 4 kids and lets see how skinny you will be then! Jerks! I dont know what to do. Please help me.
kiahna23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 04:58 PM   #2  

Default views and no replys

Ive noticed that lots of people view posts but dont reply to them. Can someone please reply to my post? I know we are all busy but it would really help.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:16 PM   #3  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Right now is a rather busy time for folks getting home from work and starting dinner on this side of the continent anyhow. Your post was only there for 11 minutes. I'm sure you'll get replies later.

Could you be more specific about what you are eating? Do you have a plan such as Weight Watchers or low carb? How long have you been dieting? More info would be helpful but congratulations on your weightloss so far.

There's lots of support here. Remember only registered members can reply but number of views includes browsers too.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 05:25 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

One thing about weight loss is that there are no universal truths. It sucks to be on the wrong side of statistics. It doesn't matter what most people are able to lose, you're stuck losing what you can (I'm not saying it doesn't suck, but it doesn't mean that you're doing anything "wrong.")

Besides, being young doesn't mean you'll lose easier than anyone else older than you, just that you'll probably lose faster now than you will in ten years. You can't compare yourself to anyone else, or you'll go crazy (I was crazy for about 35 years). I learned long ago not to compare myself to others, but I was still "crazy" because I was comparing myself to younger versions of me. If I let myself go down that path now, I can pull that crazy into my life just as I did before. The calorie level I am finding it difficult to maintain on - in my 20's would have resulted in a loss of 5 to 7 lbs weeks. But I'm not that woman anymore, so even comparing myself to myself leads me into "bad crazy."

One thing that really helped me, is to try to keep the focus off the scale. Eating better and exercising more has benefits over and above weight loss. And losing weight isn't a behavior, it's a result of behavior - so weight loss is my reward, not my goal. If I follow my food plan, and get in my exercise, I have succeeded, even if the scale hasn't moved. Now, if after a couple weeks the scale still isn't moving, I have to evaluate if there's more I'm willing to do - and then do that.

I don't know if any of this helps, because I'm in a much different weight category than you. However, I suppose I am in the same boat, in the sense that common wisdom also says I should be losing faster than I am. I'm finding it difficult even to lose one pound a week (a lot of factors in that, my insulin resistance and my physical disability).

It is what it is, and as frustrating as that can be - it doesn't have to be. You just have to remember that normal for you is a little different than normal for anyone else.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 05:27 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 255/see ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

I'm almost 40, I look in the mirror at home and think I look nice and then get to a dressing room or whereever and realize I look old AND wide... lol. Having kids does the most amazing and unreasonable things to your body. You've already lost over 30 lbs, that's awesome, you must be doing something right! Getting some exercise might just jump start the process, but don't look at it as a last resort, look at it as a chance to get stronger and healthier so you can keep up with your kids. Don't be too hard on yourself, you've done more than alot of people would be able to already, so you're really ahead of the game! Good luck
Leeesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 05:34 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthxxx View Post
Right now is a rather busy time for folks getting home from work and starting dinner on this side of the continent anyhow. Your post was only there for 11 minutes. I'm sure you'll get replies later.

Could you be more specific about what you are eating? Do you have a plan such as Weight Watchers or low carb? How long have you been dieting? More info would be helpful but congratulations on your weightloss so far.

There's lots of support here. Remember only registered members can reply but number of views includes browsers too.
Ok...I wasnt rushing anyone. I was just saying. Anyhow. I was just saying because others posts are there for longer and they will get 1,000 views and 10 replys. Makes no sense to me.

But yea I eat very well. Just imagine all the treats and sweets and chips and junk and fastfood...I dont eat ANY of it! But I lose weight so freakin slow! Im irritated with my stomach. My legs and butt look amazing! But my tummy...(sigh).

I love fruit. I love veggies. I dont eat pork. I rarely eat beef. I eat lean protein and lean ground turkey.

Oh....But...I love bread and cereal! I am lactose intolerant. I bloat I get constipated and I dont know what to eat. And no weight watchers or south beach diets or anything like that. I cook and I wouldnt be able to stick to me eating this and my family eating that.
Old 03-27-2009, 06:04 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

You have lost 32 pounds that is great! Have you thought of counting calories to be sure of what your eating ?
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 09:49 PM   #8  

I understand your frustration. I have been stuck at a plateau since sept-oct of last year. Now matter how healthy I eat or how much I exercise, I haven't budged on the scale. I initially lost 30 lbs and still have 35 to go but I am stuck. So I am going to try varying my exercise more and with the nicer weather coming, maybe getting outside and adding different things (like rollerblading with my kids and re-introducing swimmimg) will bump me out of my slump.
wyndymoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 11:16 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 225/169/125

Height: 5'7

are you exercising? how much? I just got past a 4 week plateau where I was eating well and seemingly doing everything right but the scale wouldn't move. I upped my exercise intensity AND increased my protien intake and that did the trick. Back on track now losing about 2lbs/ week.
photoRuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 03:06 AM   #10  

Default My exercise

I exercise everyday. But most of the time its for only 30 minutes. I know step aerobics makes me lose a ton of weight. So I guess Im going to try that again. Its just that you lose so much water and if I dont eat well enough, or even eat enough food I tend to get a headache. I use to eat a sandwich and drink ensure before my 1 1/2 hour class at my college. I guess Im going to have to do that again.
Old 03-28-2009, 05:39 AM   #11  
banned

S/C/G: 190/114/125

Height: 5'3"

For many people, as you get close to your goal, weight loss will slow down. The last few pounds is the hardest but a small loss now represents a bigger percentage of body weight lost. It doesn't matter how old you are, its all about your metabolism, diet and excercise. I am almost 45 years old now and I lose weight just as fast as I did in my twenties. On the other side of the coin, I also can gain it just as fast!! Just look at the wonderful progress you have made so far. Be proud and hang in there, it will come off
TamiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 09:55 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

From what I gather, it's very difficult to lose weight when you're under 200, especially under 150. If you're not losing anything at all, you probably need to mix up your diet/exercise. I think at this point, focusing on the exercise will give you the body you want even if the scales aren't perfect.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 10:13 AM   #13  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

My Spin instructor told me that bad carbs are what contribute the most to stomach fat.

If you will stick to whole foods and count your calories, you will see an improvement. Slow and steady wins the race.

As for the mirrors, that has been discussed here before. There are definitely mirrors that are flat delusional.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 06:45 PM   #14  

you guys are a great help. thank you.