General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 03-25-2009, 05:46 PM   #1  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Default I was threatened by a big dog

I went out to my car to put away my lunch box and grab a shopping bag. When I was walking towards the building, a dog came out the door, ran up to me and started barking. I was intimidated. I just froze. The owner called him over and I started walking away. When I started walking, that dog ran back over to me and started barking again. The owner called him back and said he was sorry. The dog got into the car and they drove off. That guy works upstairs for a company that allows the employees to bring their dogs to work.

I don't have a problem with them bringing their dogs. I just expect them to keep them on a leash. We do have leash laws around here.

Should I complain to the landlord?
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 06:25 PM   #2  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

cbmare, this happened to me recently in the community I live in..I was running one morning and a woman was walking with her large dog (unsure of breed) and it totally charged and came to me in a threatening way...

I wasn't nice about it. I told her that he was supposed to be on a leash in a stern and unfriendly tone. What is it with people?
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 06:33 PM   #3  
I wanna be a loser, too

Don't even get me started about people who bring their dogs to farmer's markets. There are signs all over stating that they aren't allowed (other than service dogs). They seem to think that it is OK if they are small and can carry them or they walk behind the vendors tents.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:07 PM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Dogs should be on a leash and I would complain.

I have dogs, they are never off a leash. I know other people who have dogs that would never leave their side, but they still put leashes on their dogs when in areas with other people.

I walk my dogs and sometimes I'll encounter dogs without leashes. Some are fine but others go crazy and make my dogs go crazy. Its hard for me to control my dogs when there is another dog running around them wanting to play. I've had someone tell me to just let my dogs off leash to play but they don't know my dogs, I do and they are a bit too curious and would like to explore if given the chance.

Last edited by nelie; 03-25-2009 at 07:07 PM.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 07:46 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Yes, I would tell the landlord, dogs are supposed to be on leash.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 08:40 PM   #6  
I wanna be a loser, too

Thanks everyone. I don't want to ban the dogs, just control them. I'll send an email tomorrow morning when I get to work.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:51 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 180/147/125

Height: 5'7"

I remember this dog trainer on a tv show saying if you are approached like that by a dog or think it might attack you the best thing to do is stand your ground with your arms crossed and turn your back to it. Just in case it happens again! I used to be scared of dogs since I was a kid, the thing is if you keep yourself calm the situation will be much better, and if you tense up and are afraid they can totally tell.
aneleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 02:08 PM   #8  
I wanna be a loser, too

I've always been told to just stop walking and stand still, hence the "I froze" portion of my post. I know they can sense fear. It is a bit intimidating when a 70 lb dog is charging at you. Then when the guy has the dog come back to him and the dog turns and starts at you again when you try and walk away.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:30 PM   #9  
I wanna be a loser, too

I sent it this morning after I got into work. I explained what happened and my reactions. I also stated that I don't want the dogs banned. I'm only asking that they keep the dogs on a leash when they are not in their office and I asked the landlord's assistance in making this happen.

It's not uncommon to have 5 or 6 dogs up there at a time. Most of the people keep them on leashes.

We'll see what happens.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:13 PM   #10  
I wanna be a loser, too

The landlord spoke with them. Apparently I wasn't the only one to complain. They have to keep all those dogs on leashes from the time they get out of the car until they get into the office.

I thanked him for acting so quickly.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:54 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 180/147/125

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmare View Post
I've always been told to just stop walking and stand still, hence the "I froze" portion of my post. I know they can sense fear. It is a bit intimidating when a 70 lb dog is charging at you. Then when the guy has the dog come back to him and the dog turns and starts at you again when you try and walk away.
Yea, I understand, it's easy to not look scared, its hard to not feel scared when something is trying to attack you. At least now they will be on leashes!
aneleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 09:00 PM   #12  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmare View Post
The landlord spoke with them. Apparently I wasn't the only one to complain. They have to keep all those dogs on leashes from the time they get out of the car until they get into the office.

I thanked him for acting so quickly.
I think you handled it perfectly, from the beginning to the end
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 09:05 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

but always remember..don't look the dog in the eye. Its a aggressive posture that could set the dog off. You should stand your ground, look away and the slowly back away from the dog.

I agree...if the dog is aggressive like it was...it needs to be on a leash. I think leash laws are meant for a reason....hope things got worked out.
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 12:34 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 345/282/200

Height: 5'8"

You handled it perfectly! I am glad also you didn't get bit because it definitely hurts a lot and leaves scars (mental and physical) for many years) I should know because I still have both when I was attacked by a dog (a St Benard of all things! LOL) that was tied to a pole in front of a grocery store and it broke loose from it's leash.

And it jumped on me and bit me right on the left bicep and my instant reaction was to jerk my arm away and I learned later the WORST thing you can do (the cop told me) is jerk you arm or leg while they are biting because it will tear you wide open which it did. I guess you are supposed to not move while your get bit by a dog! NOT!!! LOL!

From one bite it tore my bicep wide open and I had to get a lot of stitches. I had a bag of groceries in my arms and they went all over the place and the guy who owned the dog ran out appologizing to me profusely and I remember he gave me $20.00 for my shirt which was almost torn off and bloody and he left quickly.

I was was in shock so bad I couldn't even describe him and he got away.

So I am glad you didn't get bit because it definitely is not fun! LOL!

I am fearful of dogs to this day and if one starts barking at me I immediately start looking for things to put it down. So far luckily I have never had to do it and I would not want to but big dogs to this day if they run up on me I will freak out! In fact even if a little chihuahua runs up on me I'll have anxiety!

And I still have a huge 8 inch scar on my arm and it was 15 years ago it happened.

Last edited by flatiron; 03-28-2009 at 12:38 AM.
flatiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 06:01 PM   #15  
~*Lupo di Autunno*~

S/C/G: 162/115/115

Height: 5'3"

You all are lucky that you live in an area where something can be done. I live a rural commmunity, and at least 75% of dog owners here let their dogs wander wherever they please. There are leash laws, but only for a certain mile radius around the center of town. When I take a walk, I take a closet dowel with me to scare them off or hit them, if need be. Thankfully, most of the ones that wander all of the time are non-aggressive, but I've had some close calls.
Wolf Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote