Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 08:10 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Default 300+ And Getting Fit after 40 #203

This thread is a sub-set of the 300+ thread.

This group is for those dealing with the challenges of having a significant amount of weight to lose and being fit which becomes harder after age 40. If you're an old or new friend and not over 40 and feel this is the place to post, jump right in.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:12 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Morning, all!

I'm ready for my spring break this week! Except it's not really a break. I have to get my courses ready for next term (next week) and get some other things done that didn't get done yet! I HOPE to get it all done in three days, but we'll see.

Hey, check out the exercise thread! We've hit 10,000 min this month! But we still need all the help we can get!! So, post your minutes!

Have a good Monday morning!
Old 03-23-2009, 08:58 AM   #3  

Height: 5'7"

Had a great week last week, got all my water in and exercise and calories were perfect..scales still didnt move...GRRR oh well I am not stopping !!! Iwill hit 90lbs surely within a few weeks of doing everything right!
I just made some crab salad..very low in calories and light..cant wait to enjoy it at lunch today.
kids are cranky..its monday!!
hugs to all
Old 03-23-2009, 09:31 AM   #4  

Greetings all!

Feeling very blue today. Not sure why. The doctor took blood last week and the results will be in today, so I'll know for sure if something menopause-like has reared it's ugly head. Spent the weekend working a bit on the garden and flower beds, but not nearly enough. Spent way too much time shopping for things I really didn't need. You know how that is. And, of course, eating too much. Last night in particular was bad. I was in SUCH a mood! Anyway, that's OVER now and I'll try to be super duper good the rest of the week so as to avoid a gain.

Anyone have some advice for me????

I found out last Thurs. that my kid's orthodonist office LIED right to my face about the contract I signed. They made us pay 1/2 up front and pay the entire amount off in 1 year, even though DS will have the braces for two. It's caused all kinds of problems with my cafeteria plan. They told me - numerous times because I questioned the terms - that that is their STANDARD contract and that's they way they've ALWAYS done it. Thursday I'm talking to someone from my doctors office who just had her kid put in braces thru the same office. Not only did she get to pay over 2 years, but she paid 25% down! When I went directly to the ortho - they said, "Well, we do charge different people different rates. I'll have to check with the person who does the contracts and credit checks."

FIRST - I don't recall EVER authorizing a credit check! I could be wrong, but I don't think I signed anything allowing that.
SECOND - They NEVER said anything about my credit - just that it was their "standard" contract."
THIRD - My DH and I have both worked the same jobs for 15+ years, have very good income and last time I checked, our credit rating was in the 700's!

If there was something WRONG with my credit - they should have TOLD me! Because I need to get it looked at ASAP! For all I know there's someone out there doing bad things to my credit and I don't know because they LIED to me! I don't mind if they thought I was a bad risk. I really don't. I mind a great deal being lied to! They already have more than $3000 of my money and they're treating my kid. I don't know what to do here! I don't want to tick off the person who's seeing to my child's dental well-being!

What would you do????

Edit to add:

Heard from the doctor. Yep. Menopause. Which I suppose explains the nerves, blues, lack of sleep and general
(w)itchiness I've had the last week or so. I'M ENTIRELY TOO YOUNG FOR THIS!

Last edited by Lilion; 03-23-2009 at 02:31 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:36 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 351/ticker/175

Height: 5'9"

Default Blc

The results are in!
Old 03-23-2009, 03:12 PM   #6  

Well, ortho says that according to their criteria, these were the terms I get. BUT they won't tell me WHAT specifically was the problem and that I need to investigate my own credit rating to see. She politely agreed with me she'd be upset about that too. Wasn't that nice of them???

These people stink.
Old 03-23-2009, 03:52 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Lilion - Was this the time that you were having issues with a friend that did stuff on your credit?
Old 03-23-2009, 07:46 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 348.5/T/185

Height: 5'9"

Ever want to just throw in the towel - many peptalks to self today have not allowed this. The tape playing in my head is - I am not a quitter - you should not measure only by the scale. I MUST get out of the 270s - I feel like I have lived here forever. To top it off the scale was up a bit more today (yes - still a daily weigher). I've done great food and water wise today - no exercise planned as I need to recover a bit from the weekend strain.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:52 PM   #9  

I feel the exact same way carol. I have done everything right and the scales dont really move. I have been within the same few pounds for weeks now. You might even stretch it to months. I am eating right..exercising now and drinking my water. I will keep doing it!!! I may not be losing but i feel so much better!!! I do want to hit 90bs before long..surely i will!!!
I came in low on calories today but ate 3 good meals and feel full so im not pushing it today. My dinner was a huge and i mean huge salad. It filled me up and im satified.
going to go and read for awhile..
hugs
Old 03-24-2009, 12:46 AM   #10  
Vortex

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/???

Hi gang... I've been MIA b/c I've been trying really hard to meet a deadline and not doing much of anything else, but decided I'd check in tonight since it's taking me so long.

Lilion: The ortho's an ***-o. Sorry bout the hormonal stuff. I'm going through the same. The only thing I know that seems to help is when I'm feeling blue for no good reason, I do a check of basic needs: Am I tired? Hungry? Thirsty? Do I have a genuine emotional need, like am I lonely or need to talk? If the answer to any of those is yes, then I make sure I take care of it NOW. If not, I still look for something nice to do for myself, a walk or check-in with a friend or something. It's not a cure-all, but about half the time I realize, yeah, hey, I didn't actually get enough sleep last night, or I haven't talked with anyone besides my mom in 24 hrs, and then I take care of that, and things are slightly better. For what it's worth.

DG and Carol: Good for you for keeping on. You're my heroes! Heroines, even.

Heather--Hope the week is a good breather. I'm so glad we're on semesters (since it's my sabbatical semester especially .

Maybe I'll finish this textbook tomorrow... I'll definitely check in again coz it does help me keep focused.

Have an OP Tuesday, ladies!

Last edited by Vortex_VVV; 03-24-2009 at 12:47 AM.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:33 AM   #11  

We got some good news last night. My new sil is getting the screw out of his foot tommorow. He will be on crutches for about 10 more days after that. I know he will be glad to be able to walk again. The dr did tell him no lifting for at least 2 more months. I know my daughter will be glad to have him walking again and she will be glad when he can lift and do things around the house and yard with her.
Scales are up 2lbs today..i have done everything right so i will just keep going. Just frustrating!!!!
Im dragging out that old trusted minitramp this morning...it always works when nothing else seems to move the scales.
hugs to all and have a great day!!
Old 03-24-2009, 11:18 AM   #12  

Terri, the friend thing was quite a while back and was taken care of. The ortho ran the credit check no earlier than last Nov. So this is something new. I won't know what's going on until I check. Just makes me SO mad to be lied to ...and now they won't even tell me what criteria I didn't meet!

Angela, I know menopause isn't the end of the world, but I'm having a really hard time with this. I just really didn't expect it for a few more years and not only that, but it came on so fast and so hard! I expected to notice little things now and then, but instead all at once I'm having hot flashes or alternatively chills! I'm b!#@hy and moody and my skin is dry and it just seems like it all came on in two weeks! I know exercise would make me feel better, but I have such a hard time getting up - because I can't get any sleep with the night sweats. And my friend I talk to is having many worse problems than menopause, although she had a hysterectomy two years ago and we've vowed to wax each other's lips. I just expected some warning...and can't believe my doctor wants me to try OTC stuff for two months before he'll see me again. I'll survive.

To everyone with stuck scales: I rejoined WW in JULY. I've lost 4 lbs in 8 months. At this rate I'll hit my goal in 11 1/2 years.

Enough depressing stuff for today...

My garden is surviving. My peas are coming up. My lettuce, broccoli, cauliflower plants I bought are doing well. The brussels sprouts, lettuce and spinach I started from seed look good in the garden. And I think I may have finally beaten the tree-rats at their digging game....with the help of lots of netting and bricks! I can't wait for veggies.

And now, I'm off to do office work...
Old 03-24-2009, 01:46 PM   #13  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Okay girls, we can't lose our vision here...our goal isn't to simply lose weight. We want to feel great, we're here to achieve a greater sense of well-being for ourselves, so we can be there for ourselves and our loved ones as long as is humanly possible, with a real quality of life. Everyday we have challenges and choices. Don't let a bathroom scale tell you how you're feeling.

But you already know all that!

Check this out...http://www.butlerwebs.com/jokes/images/Little_Girls.jpg

Love you all!

Georgia
Old 03-24-2009, 09:16 PM   #14  
BELIEVE!

Just popping in for a quickie hello! I'm wiped tonight. Tons going on...busy a usual with work, gym, kiddos....family is arriving on Saturday and I want the house clean and organized and want to be a good hostess. I know...it's family and they understand, but that's just me.

Later friends...
Old 03-25-2009, 12:05 AM   #15  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

I'm going to try something tonight and wondered if any of you have done this. I'm going to sit on my Fitball while watching TV. I want to see if sitting on it and bouncing a little on it will record calorie burning on my GWF armband. I'll let you know tomorrow what my "findings" are.

Georgia

PS) Dealing with huge PMS cravings tonight. I want a bowl full of Top Ramen in the worst way! I'm so glad I don't have any, but it's going to bug me until I go to bed. I made a mistake and had a huge lunch...two big bowls of soup made with pinto beans, grilled chicken, Rotel and pico de gallo. Very low fat, but I still ate A LOT. I was stuffed so I didn't want to eat anything for the last seven hours, but now my appetite is nagging at me. What to do...

Last edited by geoblewis; 03-25-2009 at 12:10 AM.
Closed Thread