Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 03-25-2009, 12:30 PM   #1  

Default Need help getting protein in

I just started working out with a trainer this week, she has told me I need to get some protein in after my workouts. I tried a shake and the gym and didn't much care for it, if I had to I would drink it, but I am looking for some alternatives. She wants me to start tracking my food intake, and that scares me. She has also told me I am not to have any pasta, potatoes, bread or rice at night. What would be a safe cut-off time for these? I work 1 night a week, and usually bring Subway for my dinner, but now I am thinking I might need to not even do that. I do have access to a microwave at work.

Mary
MarycleMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 12:39 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I think the idea is generally to eat your more carby things during the day.

I personally don't eat animal products so my protein comes in the form of veggies, beans and grains.

Did she give you a general eating plan? or guidance? What do you eat? Other than subway?

You could have a subway salad if you want to avoid eating bread.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 12:55 PM   #3  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

Well, I get my protein from:

- chicken
- beef
- turkey
- fish (tilapia, flounder, tuna and salmon)
- eggs (organic, cage free taste the best and have more vitamins)
- raw nuts
- cottage cheese
- kefir
- raw cheese
- and as nellie said, the various amounts in vegetables, beans and grains
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 01:07 PM   #4  

Height: 5'4"

I needed some protein too so decided to try something new... I found this great drink mix with only 30 calories/portion, 5g protein, 5g fiber and only 1/2 g of sugar. It is called Lite & Lean Protein2Go and it is from Designer Whey. It comes in separated little packs so you can bring it with you.. I use it in my water or at my oatmeal. I got the Raspberry Acai flavor... It is delicious!!!
I am very happy with It!!!
belezura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 01:26 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 152/140/125

Height: 5'7"

Cottage cheese is a great source of protein. It's easy to find, requires no cooking and can be used in sweet or savory dishes. You can also blend cottage cheese to create a variety of uses (salad dressing, mayo substitute, pasta sauce, etc.)

Here are some high protein cottage cheese based meal ideas:

- 1/2 cup cottage cheese topped with fresh fruit
- Stir some cottage cheese into your oatmeal - makes it very creamy!
- small baked sweet or regular potato topped with cottage cheese
- Green salad topped with cottage cheese (or tossed with blended cottage cheese)
- Protein smoothie with cottage cheese, frozen fruit, ice, and a liquid of your choice to thin it out to drinking consistency
- Almost Cheesecake: blend 1/2 cup cottage cheese with a small baked sweet potato or 1/2 cup of canned pumkin, splenda, cinnamon, pumkin pie spice, and ground ginger to taste
- Blend cottage cheese with garlic, oregano, basil, pepper and use as a healthy "alfredo" sauce over whole wheat pasta.
- Use cottage cheese in homemade lasagna or other baked pasta dishes
- use your imagination!

Last edited by Genesis; 03-25-2009 at 01:26 PM.
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 01:29 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 234/?/140

Height: 5'6

Mary,

Try Whey Delicious, (google it). It is, by far, the best tasting protein shake I've had. It's got 21g's of protein and 110 calories per scoop. They've got chocolate, vanilla, berry, orange and banana. There is no funny taste to them. I do 2 scoops over ice with milk, it's like a milkshake. It's not cheap, but definitely worth the price.

Dana

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarycleMom View Post
I just started working out with a trainer this week, she has told me I need to get some protein in after my workouts. I tried a shake and the gym and didn't much care for it, if I had to I would drink it, but I am looking for some alternatives. She wants me to start tracking my food intake, and that scares me. She has also told me I am not to have any pasta, potatoes, bread or rice at night. What would be a safe cut-off time for these? I work 1 night a week, and usually bring Subway for my dinner, but now I am thinking I might need to not even do that. I do have access to a microwave at work.

Mary
VALady78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 01:40 PM   #7  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Mary, looks like everybody else already covered the alternative protein sources, so I'm editing my post here. For the subway, if it's once a week, and it keeps you from eating worse, I wouldn't worry about it. I don't personally eat grains or breads, but I can't see once a week killing a week's choices, so that could just be your treat once a week. Otherwise, if you want to cut it out, just ask for no bread. You can ask for lettuce to make a "wrap" or just eat it with a fork. I just have them pile on the veggies if I eat there, and go no bread.

Last edited by jamsk8r; 03-25-2009 at 01:44 PM.
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 01:51 PM   #8  
Trying so hard....

S/C/G: 298/298/145

I have this problem too. My favorite vegetarian protein sources are:

boiled eggs-- you can just eat one or two or just eat egg whites
soy nuts--the brand I get only has 3 net carbs per serving, 5 gms fat, and 8 gms protein
peanut butter--yummy
soy milk
black soy beans--in chile and other stuff
pinto beans
northern beans
butter beans--yummy straight from the can

And I bought some Soy Protein powder, but now I dont know what to do with it!
MugCanDoIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 01:59 PM   #9  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MugCanDoIt View Post

And I bought some Soy Protein powder, but now I dont know what to do with it!
Make smoothies with it? You can also mix it into other things you eat.

Personally, I avoid soy protein powder although I eat soy in limited quantities. I don't usually use a protein powder but if I do, I like hemp protein powders. They are a complete protein and its not really messed with to make it a protein powder.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 04:24 PM   #10  
looser

S/C/G: 185/ticker/150

Height: 5'7

i like to have 2 slices of canadian baken. Its mostly like ham. 3 slices are 60 cal and 9g of protein.
unwanted37lbs is offline   Reply With Quote