Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 03-25-2009, 11:26 AM   #1  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Default Protein powder

One of the threads got me to thinking about protein powder. Years ago I was on the Zone diet and kept reading about protein powder but never used it. Last night I saw a commercial for Biggest Loser protein powder. I wonder if it could help me, so I decided to post these questions.

Do you use protein powder? How? What foods do you add it too? What brand do you use?

Thanks!
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 11:36 AM   #2  
Workin' It

Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey, Vanilla Ice Cream flavor. I buy it from Amazon.com. I make smoothies with it, banana, yogurt, milk and frozen fruit pretty much every morning. I also make chocolate milk with it, and have blended it with OJ for a little orange julius effect. I have the Trader Joe's chocolate flavor also, but DH uses it more than me.

ETA - there was a tread on this recently that had some good info, and another one from several months back that I'll look for and post a link to if I find it. It was the thread that really got me using protein powder in the first place...

Last edited by Shannon in ATL; 03-25-2009 at 11:37 AM.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 11:58 AM   #3  

S/C/G: S 225 / C 192 / G 140

Height: 5'8"

I also have Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey protein shakes every day in the mornings. I have chocolate and they are pretty yummy and low in fat. I usually have half a serving a day for some added protein. I also take Omega 3 supplements because I probably don't eat enough meat and nuts.
healthierme78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 12:08 PM   #4  
Fox

S/C/G: 205/197/160

Height: 5'5"

I get the GNC brand chocolate caramel flavor it's low cal/fat and has very little sugar (only 3 pr 4 carbs per serving I think). I occasionally add it to yogurt but mostly just mix it with water and drink it. I have it a few times a week as a meal replacement.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 12:10 PM   #5  
Weight Watchers!

S/C/G: 221/ticker/175

Height: 5'

I just started using protein powder and I purchased the Body Fortress brand at WalMart. I have found it to be a great addition to my diet. After I exercise I make me a shake and I am not hungry for hours. Before I started using the protein powder I would eat everything in sight after I exercised, nothing would satisfy me. It also gives me that great chocolate taste that I, and most ladies, crave.
eviemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 12:13 PM   #6  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

I buy EAS brand, vanilla. I add a half serving to my oatmeal to boost the protein in my breakfast.
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 12:33 PM   #7  
PR 1 Mile: 9:44

S/C/G: 200.5/160/130

Height: 5'-4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviemc View Post
I just started using protein powder and I purchased the Body Fortress brand at WalMart. I have found it to be a great addition to my diet. After I exercise I make me a shake and I am not hungry for hours. Before I started using the protein powder I would eat everything in sight after I exercised, nothing would satisfy me. It also gives me that great chocolate taste that I, and most ladies, crave.
That's the brand I use too. I use the Choc Whey Powder and I just started DH on the Vanilla. I love that it's so reasonably priced. I can get 2 lbs for $12.50, however I've seen the exact same thing at other Wal-Marts for $14.68. So if you have more than 1 Wal-Mart in your area, it's a good idea to compare the prices.

One thing I recommend, if you don't have one is to invest in a small personal blender. I was given this one: http://www.hamiltonbeach.com/blender...-blenders.html

It's so useful that I went and bought another one to keep at the office. I just think the protein powder needs to be blended, not just stirred in, but that's my personal preference.

ETA: another bit of advice, don't try mixing the powder into hot cocoa. BLECH!

Last edited by dixied; 03-25-2009 at 12:34 PM.
dixied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 12:39 PM   #8  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

Height: 5'7"

I use a whey protein powder that I get from Trader Joe's, vanilla flavor. Maximum something is the name...I dunno. I chose it because it had the most protein, least fat, least carbs. It's reasonably tasty, sweetened with Splenda. I use half a scoop (50 cals, 11 g protein) in my yogurt at breakfast, then I use a full scoop in a protein shake after a strength-training session. It's definitely helpful for getting my total daily protein up into the range I want.
WarMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 12:51 PM   #9  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

My sister (an exercise physiologist and lifelong obsessive dieter) swears by MetRx, but that's too rich for my blood. I love Bill Phillips and all, but I can't afford his products. I have been using a soy protein powder I buy at Kroger, but I need to switch to whey, so I'm going to have to look into some of the suggestions above.

As for how I use it, I add it to oatmeal and I make protein shakes. I also sometimes blend it with a Tbsp of sugar free pudding mix and some milk to make a protein-fortified dessert. I shoot for at least 100 g of protein a day, so adding protein powder to meals really helps with that.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 12:56 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox View Post
I get the GNC brand chocolate caramel flavor it's low cal/fat and has very little sugar (only 3 pr 4 carbs per serving I think). I occasionally add it to yogurt but mostly just mix it with water and drink it. I have it a few times a week as a meal replacement.
How does this one taste?
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 01:05 PM   #11  

Height: 5'4"

I needed some protein too so decided to try something new... I found this great drink mix with only 30 calories/portion, 5g protein, 5g fiber and only 1/2 g of sugar. It is called Lite & Lean Protein2Go and it is from Designer Whey. It comes in separated little packs so you can bring it with you.. I use it in my water or at my oatmeal. can't get any easier than that. I got the Raspberry Acai flavor... It is delicious!!!
I am very happy with It!!!
belezura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 01:06 PM   #12  
In the Home Stretch!

S/C/G: See Tracker

Height: 5'6"

Every morning and post workout I have a smoothie with Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey protein Strawberry flavor, 1 cup skim milk, 1/2 cup mixed frozen berries. YUM!!!
daniela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 04:17 PM   #13  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I use Designer Whey protein, strawberry flavor, mixed with 1% milk. I have an allergic reaction to some soy protein powders.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 04:32 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 200/168/165

Height: 5'8"

i use Nutiva Organic Hemp Protein+fiber
willow650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 10:51 AM   #15  
Fox

S/C/G: 205/197/160

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringmaster View Post
How does this one taste?
I like it, it's better than a lot of the other ones I've tried. Don't get me wrong, it still has that distinctive "protein powder" flavor (I've never found one that didn't have that) but it's quite tasty! It's relatively sweet and smooth tasting and mixes easily with water. I tried mixing it with a cup of coffee one day and wouldn't recommend that though! lol
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote