Old 03-23-2009, 01:13 PM   #1  
Chick

Height: 5'4"

Smile #212 Bale of Turtles Making Tracks!!!!

We are the Turtle Group here at www.3fatchicks.com. We welcome you to join us as we work toward good health and fitness in a persistent manner. As our inspiration we use the race between the turtle and the hare where the turtle was the victor because he didn't give up. We believe in keepin' on even when the odds are against us. We believe in giving each other support. Good luck to us all!
Judy
Itryharder
(for Lin and Lauren )
Itryharder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:03 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 285/275.4/125

Default Go Turtles!

I'd like to thank everyone who talks about exercising; it's what motivated me yesterday to get out of my computer chair and do two miles with Leslie Sansone. My upper back muscles are a little stiff this morning because of the arm motions that she adds in during Mile 2 but that's the first soreness I've had. This makes 3 miles total for the week so far.

Yesterday was "mammo day" and it wasn't as bad as I remembered it being. My last one was 10 years ago so I won't dread it as much next year. Maybe technology has improved. Or maybe there have been "texture changes" during that time so they squish easier!! That's probably it.

DH and I went out to Sizzler afterwards, where I had a big salad and the shrimp skewers and rice pilaf. Also had two cups of hot water with lemon after the meal, which certainly made it easier to get in all my water for the day. (Coffee is free with the meal, but they charge for tea! Now is that stupid or what!? The hot water was also free and very welcome as I was freezing. Next time I go there I need to remember to take a shawl.) Only ate about 1/4 of my potato along with a nibble or two of sour cream; I asked them to hold the butter. I knew we were going so I made sure I had enough points and while the shrimp did have more points than I thought they would, I still stayed under my limit. Would have been a different story, though, if I'd ordered the steak. DH doesn't like when I order steak in a restaurant as we have most of a freezer full of them but I say they taste different when someone else cooks them! I tend to do the same old thing with steaks; don't use marinades cuz DH likes to "taste the meat." Guess I need to figure out some way to distinguish his from mine so I can marinate mine or something.

When I came home I had the pleasure of opening a package that resulted from a swap I participated in of 3.5 inch light strips. Some will go immediately into the Green quilt I'm making for youngest son where I could use more variety in background fabrics. It uses lots of 3 inch (finished) 9 patches where there are 5 light fabrics and only 4 dark. I hadn't worked on it in a while and when I sat down to work on it again, I made the first batch of 9 patches in the "other" configuration. Luckily I realized my mistake before I made a hundred of them ...

And finally, a sad note ... we have had a pair of doves nesting in a terra cotta pot on our patio. They always lay two eggs. Last season three batches were successfully raised and left the nest but yesterday morning I got up and it was close to freezing and Mrs. Dove was not on the nest. Sure enough, both babies were dead. I know it's part of the natural cycle but I was really looking forward to seeing those little heads peeping over the edge of the pot. We're going to throw away all the old nesting material and hope for better results with the next batch.

Hope everyone makes it a stupendous day!

Donna
ladynredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:44 AM   #3  
Chick

Wow Donna, you're doing great! Keep up the good work.
Judy
234.6/212.8/210thinner into onederland
Old 03-24-2009, 01:23 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 220/197/160

Height: 5'-3"

Hi turtles:

Donna - nice to see you chiming in & good luck this week!

Last night I got in a 2 mile walk at centre with my neighbour then had a nice hot-tub & quick swim. Enjoyed my trout dinner and stayed away from snacks all night. Made a big salad with tuna for my lunch & have my w/i tomorrow.
So hoping to at least maintain & not gain this week.

Hope you all have great success at the scales!
bandit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 07:42 PM   #5  
Chick

Oh Bandit, you're doing great. How was the trout? A two mile walk and hot tub and swim sounds oddly relaxing. Getting in good exercise and then relaxing in the tub/swim really sounds very healthy and comforting somehow. Call me crazy, but doing the right thing for yourself, especially with exercise, always sends me a "Go Me" kind of signal. I am thrilled you got to do this, and good luck at your WI tomorrow.
My WI is tomorrow and I'm worried. I've had a great week, recouped quite well from Sunday on, but tonight I ate salad and shrimp out with my dd and grandson and dh.
I'm hoping the salt, etc. will work out and I'll have a good WI tomorrow. Keep your fingers crossed for me.
Judy
234.6/212.8/210 and thinner into onederland
Old 03-25-2009, 11:11 AM   #6  

Hi turtles:

Judy - the trout was very good, nice change of menu.
Sending you "skinny" thoughts for tomorrow - good luck!

Have a great day, everyone!
Old 03-25-2009, 02:58 PM   #7  
Chick

Hi Turtles,
Thanks for the : I lost .8# today at my WI. I am very happy to see the scale move down. The last three weeks' total weight loss is 3.8# and I'm very happy with that. My new short term goal is to make 210# Realistically I hope to make that in two weeks, but one week would be great. I have to remember not to rush this, to eat the points I need to eat, and to exercise. Just because I am finally ready to shed this weight doesn't mean that I can do this super fast.

Good luck to us all. Keep on keepin ' on. I'm heading for the after my dh goes to work tonight.
Memorial Day is just shy of 10 weeks away and I know I can keep on track and lose 10# by then. Wouldn't that be great? I'd be really close to onederland at that point.

for all of us. I see we're really trying hard. Let's do this!

Judy
234.6/212/210 and thinner into onederland
Old 03-25-2009, 03:45 PM   #8  
Turtle Extraordinaire

Hooray, Judy, on that loss! Wow, only 10 weeks until Memorial Day, doesn't seem possible. It certainly would be great to be 10 pounds thinner, wouldn't it?

Bandit, I agree with Judy -- your walk and hot tub experience does sound relaxing. Hmmm. May need to do this myself.

Donna, you're doing great! That is sad about the doves; they do tend to reproduce earlier in the season than other birds, and I've always wondered how that first batch survives in the cold. Apparently they don't always.

Princess, yes, you and I must be on the same hormonal cycle -- having that bloat *after* TOM. In my case, it's because I'm getting ready for a SECOND TOM, which follows about a week after the first one ends. Just lovely.

But the scale does go down eventually. This is my week to lose well, which is always a nice pick-me-up. I'm only 2 pounds away from my next goal, which is very exciting. This is a big one, almost as good as getting into virgin fat territory. It'll mark my 100 pounds down from my heaviest, and officially put me in the "overweight" category instead of "obese"! Who would've thought it would be so great to say that one is just overweight??

On a more worrying note, my beloved pop, my stepdad, Howard, is in surgery right now to have a biopsy done on the lymph nodes in his chest. The doctor suspects lymphoma. My mother is naturally a wreck. I wish I could be with her; they live about 10 hours away. Prayers welcome.

Have a great day, turtles.

Onward and downward,

Lauren
LaurenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 07:01 PM   #9  
Chick

Lauren, prayers winging your way for your pop.
I am so pleased with your steady progress this year and I know it must be exasperating to do everything right and because of hormones hit a plateau or even a small gain, and yet you keep on going on doing the right thing. I must say we are a very brave group of women keepin' on keepin' on. to all of us.
Love, Judy
234.6/212/210 thinner into onederland
Old 03-26-2009, 02:29 PM   #10  
Turtle Extraordinaire

Thanks, Judy. I must admit, though, it's easier to keep doing the right thing when it gets delivered to your house every week!

Pop came through the surgery fine; we're waiting now for results. Thanks for your prayers, Judy.

I'm wearing my size 14 jeans today, which is fun! And yes, I can breathe. And last night I took a walk, which really helped with the stress. I'm looking for good anxiety-reducers that don't involve food!
Old 03-26-2009, 07:07 PM   #11  
Chick

Hi Turtles,
Hey, does anyone like to read to reduce stress? I have gotten into the habit of drinking tea while I read which is a lot better than eating or snacking while I read. In any case, I just read a book that I considered odd and charming and maybe one of you would like it. It's called The Little Giant of Aberdeen County. Big warning---it's strange, but well written and I found it insightful.

I'm having a great day. I'm making a game of using coupons for groceries and perusing the circular before I shop. I got so many good bargains today that I saved a31% off my grocery bill. Way to go, Me. I had a cheeseburger/Boca burger on Arnold Thin Sandwich bread for dinner along with a huge helping of WW style cole slaw.
It was yummy and very low points, so if I'm hungry later I can have a good snack. Has anyone else found that eating yogurt helps you to stay fuller? It's so funny because at the time I'm eating a yogurt I feel famished and it goes down so fast, but later in the day I realize that I'm not as hungry as usual. Hmmmm, maybe it's just me.

Lauren, I know you get food delivered and there are so many good components about that----but I also know that none of this is easy and it was so wise of you to find something to help get you back on track. Weigh to go! I'm glad your pop is out of surgery and hope these next days give you the news you're waiting for. God Bless.

Okay, I've gotta run. Everybody keep up the good work, be well and happy.
Judy
234.6/212/210thinner into onederland
Old 03-27-2009, 12:46 PM   #12  
Turtle Extraordinaire

Judy, that's great about your saving all that money. I need to do more with coupons, too. And I agree about the yogurt; it does help me keep from getting hungry. I was having one every day for a while there. I've cut back on it lately, though; it was supplemental to my eating plan, and with my weight loss slowing down, I decided something had to go. I'll still eat it on some days, just not every day.

I also find that a very small handful of nuts does wonders in keeping me from getting hungry, too. It's remarkable how much just 14 or so almonds can do. When they're unsalted, I'm not tempted to overeat them.

Thanks for your kind words about my Pop. Sadly, my mom called yesterday to tell us he has lymphoma. Don't know what kind or what stage yet; they're meeting with their doctor next Tuesday for a referral to an oncologist. So thank you for your prayers and please don't stop. Their names are Howard and Bev.
Old 03-27-2009, 02:41 PM   #13  

Good afternoon, turtles:

Lauren - so sorry to hear about your dad, my thoughts & prayers are with you & your family at this time.

Nice to wear 14's - that must really make you feel terrific!

Judy - nice job this week, keep it going.

Princess - how you doing?

As for myself, I maintained (what Tops refers to as "turtled") and that sure is better than being up, so will take it for sure. We had our awards night & received a charm, ribbon, $15 & certificate for coming in 2nd in our division.
So was happy about that. I haven't done great in March with only a 2# drop overall, so my goal is to lose 5# in April & I think that is doable.

My gf is coming for dinner tonight & we are having stuffed pork tenderloin, rice & a big salad & of course, our wine. So that will be nice relaxing evening.

I walked 30 laps last night & 20 today so feel good about that.
13 laps = 1 mile

Anyway, have a great weekend!
Old 03-27-2009, 03:25 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 223/192.6/160

Height: 5'7

Hi guys, sorry that I have not been around as much... it is so busy at work that I just don't have time. Congrats, best wishes and prayers are sent to you all for what ever situtation you currently find yourselves... had to skim over everyone ones posts really quickly but it looks like there is a lot going on.

Will go to w/i and the meeting tomorrow but I am not expecting much this week as I am coming to the end of TOM.

Have a great weekend all!
Princess1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 03:17 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 285/275.4/125

Default :carrot:

Just got back from my weigh-in. Glad to report another 2.4 lbs. gone for a total so far of 6.2. Got my little 5-lb. star and enjoyed the lecture topic, which was how to handle eating out. Lots of good suggestions from the members.

Did some errands after the meeting -- grocery store, WalMart and the health food store. I was trying to find quinoah (a whole grain) which my store in Ohio carried but no one here seems to have it. I have a recipe for a tabbouleh salad that I wanted to try, but I guess I'll have to try it with brown rice instead. The point counts are similar.

I've been spending some time the last couple of days browsing through my old WW recipes and recipes from 3 Fat Chicks. Don't know if there's any interest in my posting them; do y'all share recipes? Or are you such old hands that it's unneeded?

My prayers continue for those with family members who are ill or in need. As someone already said, sometimes it's easier to have bad stuff happen to us than to have it happen to those we love.

Turtle On!

Last edited by ladynredd; 03-28-2009 at 03:18 PM.
ladynredd is offline   Reply With Quote