Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-24-2009, 04:48 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 237/Preggo with #2/Have a baby

Height: 5'3"

Default Hunger Spaz Attacks

Hello All-
I am a terrible lurker on this site. I love reading all the posts for motivation but I never feel comfortable with posting or asking for help.
Well that really hasn't been much of a help, so I am really going to try to take in any help I can get with people who have been there and done that- so here I am, stepping out of my box

I have been counting calories for about two weeks and have done pretty good with staying under 1800 cal/day. My issue is I freak out if I get hungry and feel like I can't eat anything or I will mess up my numbers and then I just spiral out of control from there. I find the worst time for this is between breakfast and lunch for me. This has always been the case where I feel awful (headache, dizzy, anxiety, shakes) around 10:30ish. I have been tested for low blood sugar, thyroid etc to try to explain these sharp drops I get and nothing ever comes back to explain what is happening to me.

I am trying to eat snacks every couple of hours to make sure it isn't a blood sugar thing but I must not be eating the right things because it is still happening. I don't know what I am doing wrong

does anyone else have this problem or suggestions to try to make it go away. As soon as I feel it coming on I just totally freak out and often shove food in my face to make it go away (usually carbs!). It is so frustrating, any suggestions would be really great!!
Thanks for listening!
Katsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 04:54 PM   #2  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

Can you post your typical day's menu?
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 05:05 PM   #3  

It looks something like this:
B- frozen waffle with 1 tbs low fat P.B. and skim milk
S- Banana and coffee with cream
L- salad with light dressing and frozen WW dinner
S- usually don't have one here but some times baked chips and salsa
D- low cal burritos or grilled chicken and steamed veggies and ff pudding cup
Old 03-24-2009, 05:21 PM   #4  
So close to onederland...

S/C/G: 271/ticker/160

Height: 5'-8"

What are the calorie values for your breakfast? Maybe instead of drinking calories in skim milk, add a piece of fruit or some nuts?
sprklemajik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 05:21 PM   #5  

Not nearly enough food.
rachinma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 05:24 PM   #6  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

Height: 5'7"

In a nutshell: Too many refined white carbs, too much processed food, not enough protein, not enough good fats, not enough fruits and veggies. Your body is giving you hunger signals because you have not tamed the blood sugar / insulin spike cycle, and because you are not giving it enough solid nutrition. To quell hunger, you're going to need a higher-quality diet.
WarMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 05:28 PM   #7  

I think my breakfast is usually around 200-300 cal (80 cal for skim milk is what I figured).

Rachel- do you mean 1800/day isn't enough or that for breakfast calories aren't enough?

I have never done calorie counting before, so I just took the 1800 as it seemed to be on the high side and am trying it. suggestions on what I should change would be good.
Old 03-24-2009, 05:31 PM   #8  
Don't turn back.

S/C/G: 262/(ticker)/153

Height: 5'6"

You need to get more protein in the morning if that's your hunger zone.
I would substitute the waffle for an omelet. In the morning I have one real egg and one egg white (1/3 cup) with one string cheese stick cut up and thrown in. I scramble that and its just like regular full fat scrambled eggs, a very generous portion for 200 calories. Power packed with protein, which will help combat that mid-morning hunger. The skim milk is actually very good and only 80 c, but i'd cut out the coffee and cream and add PB to the banana or scrap that and eat a handful of nuts.
Good luck!
munchievictim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 05:31 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 199/199/174

Height: 5'-11"

You could add in a lot of raw veggies thru the day. Like Cauliflower, carrots, strips of green pepper, stuff like that. They are very low in calories so you can eat a bit of them. It probably wouldn't affect your calorie count too much.
juls64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 05:34 PM   #10  

Your body is giving you hunger signals because you have not tamed the blood sugar / insulin spike cycle, and because you are not giving it enough solid nutrition. To quell hunger, you're going to need a higher-quality diet.[/QUOTE]

I can certainly see that, I guess I just don't know how to do the higher-quality diet yet. I tend to find things I can grab quickly right now because I feel so overwhelmed with trying to track calories and I assumed that would work ok.

Is there suggestions or a sample menu someone can give me to try? I find this is the hardest part for me, I don't know what I should be eating so I resort to the easy pre-packaged meals because it is easy and I know how many calories I am eating.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:15 PM   #11  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

Your sample menu seems low to me too; except for those baked chips which could be the problem. You need protein at each meal and your dinner seems low, but I agree that your body is panicking about that small breakfast. Can you eat a bowl of cereal with that milk on some mornings with some fruit & a few nuts sprinkled on top? That egg omelette is a good choice to alternate days with; I do the same (one whole egg + 1 white) with a slice of whole wheat toast.

How about some protein and another piece of fruit instead of those baked chips? This menu sounds like a low-carb plan that has two servings of processed carbs in it. Try a small whole grain bagel or english muffin, or a slice of whole grain toast with PB or cheese for breakfast instead; and whole wheat soda crackers with PB or a piece of cheddar for a snack; OR yogurt with nuts & grape nuts sprinkled on top.

Have you checked with FitDay or DailyPlate to see if that is really 1800 calories?

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 03-24-2009 at 06:17 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 06:28 PM   #12  
Ija
Extra gluten

S/C/G: 286/135/135

I find that if I eat a mix of protein, fat and fiber for breakfast, I don't get hungry or experience cravings before lunch. If you really like waffles in the morning, you may want to try the Kashi Golean variety, which has more protein and fiber than other waffles. Otherwise, my advice would be to skip the waffles and replace it with something like an egg and veggie omelet or oatmeal with nuts.
Ija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 06:34 PM   #13  
aka Sarah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmom View Post
I can certainly see that, I guess I just don't know how to do the higher-quality diet yet. I tend to find things I can grab quickly right now because I feel so overwhelmed with trying to track calories and I assumed that would work ok.

Is there suggestions or a sample menu someone can give me to try? I find this is the hardest part for me, I don't know what I should be eating so I resort to the easy pre-packaged meals because it is easy and I know how many calories I am eating.
Calorie counting does work well for lots of people, but it usually works even better when there's an emphasis on eating "real" food...because real food fills you up and is more nutritious.

There's a lot to be gleaned on this forum, from the other posters, about what is good food that will fill you and sustain you. You could also try checking out the South Beach diet for good nutritional information. (It is not a calorie-counting diet, the emphasis is on healthy foods, but many South Beachers also count calories.)

Stuff I eat that helps me stay full and is good for me:

Breakfast: Mixed together 1 cup plain nonfat yogurt, 1 cup frozen blueberries, 2 tbsp ground flaxseed, 1/2 scoop vanilla whey protein powder. Around 300 calories, lots of protein and other good stuff.

Another breakfast: 2 or 3 eggs, scrambled, with mushrooms and onions and tomatoes added in, then a couple handfuls of baby spinach. Top with salsa. 100 calories of whole-grain toast if I want it.

Morning snack: 1/4 cup steel cut oats, 1 cup nonfat milk, cinnamon.

Alternate morning snack: 100 calories of dried fruit (figs or unsweetened cherries or prunes), 22 almonds.

Lunch: Leftover steak or chicken or pork from last night's stirfry. Handful of baby carrots, handful of baby spinach, half a grapefruit.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:37 PM   #14  
aka Sarah

Quote:
I feel so overwhelmed with trying to track calories and I assumed that would work ok.
Also, I wanted to add: It's ok to feel overwhelmed and to not know what you're doing. That is what we are all here for, to learn it together The important thing is just to not give up, but to keep making small changes and adjusting your plan according to what you learn about your own body. Do that and you will succeed.

And welcome from de-lurkage!
Old 03-24-2009, 06:59 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 200/168/165

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Your body is giving you hunger signals because you have not tamed the blood sugar / insulin spike cycle, and because you are not giving it enough solid nutrition. To quell hunger, you're going to need a higher-quality diet.

Is there suggestions or a sample menu someone can give me to try? I find this is the hardest part for me, I don't know what I should be eating so I resort to the easy pre-packaged meals because it is easy and I know how many calories I am eating.[/QUOTE]

one breakfast option I eat is kashi whole grain blueberry waffles instead of the regular kind the slice a banana on top with a drizzle of honey. its very filling, and about 330 calories. Also, maybe 2 servings of oatmeal with a little skim milk, splenda and lots of cinnamon, or 2 cups multi-grain cheerios with 3/4 cup skim milk then there is a Natures Own Honey wheat bagel with educed fat cream cheese, um, 2 eggs scrambled with a little cheese and 2 jenni-o turkey sausage links or veggie cheese omelet My breakfast are between 300-400 and I don't eat again till lunch. I keep my food logged on My Diet, its a Facebook app and my favorite place to log
willow650 is offline   Reply With Quote