South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 03-24-2009, 10:55 AM   #1  
Just Beachy...

S/C/G: 210/188/164 (mini goal)

Height: 5'6"

Default Splenda vs whole foods?

I will admit that I haven't been able to read the entire book yet. That being said, I like to think of SBD as a "whole foods" kind of diet...a natural healthy diet not riddled with artificial this and that. The book does approve of Splenda and does have recipes that include it, however, is it just me or is Splenda overused in a lot of recipes on here? I have such a HUGE sweet tooth and this really has been quite difficult to manage this time around d/t stressors, etc. I would really like to stay true to the SBD lifestyle but everytime that I look up a dessert that looks interesting it is riddled with Splenda, and I like to think that is not what DR. A had in mind when he started this way of living. Is there a way to indulge the Ph2 (and possibly the Ph1...ha!) sweet tooth without all of the artificial sweeteners yet stay "whole"??

TIA!
262mom2three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:56 AM   #2  
No longer super size!!!

S/C/G: 282/ticker/190

Height: 6' 0"

Some people use agave nectar...I use it in tea sometimes. I've been able to find it at a farmer's market here.
grneyedmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 12:53 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

If you want something sweet and are not using high glycemic sweeteners, then artificial sweetener is just about all that's left. Unless you can be happy with the natural sweetness of fruit and other foods. Which may become the case, as your palate adjusts to less sweet tastes. The only other alternatives I'm aware of are natural low glycemic sweeteners like agave nectar or stevia. I don't have much experience with stevia, but I like to drizzle a little agave nectar over my yogurt or oatmeal, and I haven't had adverse effects, but I use it sparingly.
The choice of whether to use artificial sweeteners or not is a personal one. For some, it helps break the sugar addiction, for others it seems to cause cravings and keep the mental addiction going. You'll probably have to do some experimentation to see which it is for you. By the way, I haven't really figured this out for myself yet, but I'm beginning to think that the only way to break the sugar cycle for me is going to be complete abstinence.
I stay away from agave nectar during Phase I though.

Last edited by Schmoodle; 03-24-2009 at 12:55 PM.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 01:09 PM   #4  
Maintenance May 2011

S/C/G: 312/149/150

Personally, I don't think we are supposed to have desserts like cookies or brownies every day, especially when trying to lose weight.

I can have a small amount of artificial sweeteners occasionally but also found that so many of the SBD suggestions like the ricotta creme contain things like Splenda.

Frustrated, I turned to the SBD vegetarian plan which seems to be truly whole food based. Desserts are fruit or a fruit/ricotta combo. It took a while to break the traditional dessert cycle but now I am used to it. I save those other dessert recipes for special occasions or when I really really need a brownie.

p.s. I pretty much follow the vegetarian plan but substitute fish or poultry for those meals that include soy (which I can't have). It is a very wholesome way to eat with all real foods (no packaged/prepared foods).
mizski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 01:21 PM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

I've read several of Dr. Agatson's responses to questions about Splenda (the link is very long, but if you google "Dr. Agatson Splenda" you will find them as easily as I did (he answers a couple questions about Splenda in a question and answer session on prevention.com webiste).

In summary, he states there are no hard and fast rules, regarding how much is too much, but recommends "moderation," such as limiting diet sodas to no more than 2 a day. This would seem to apply equally to Splenda containing desserts - what you decide is moderation, really is going to depend on individual experience and opinion.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 01:31 PM   #6  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

Height: 5'7"

I use natural and artificial sweeteners of various kinds, depending on what my goals are for the treat I am baking or having. I eat a small amount of dark chocolate every so often, and that's got sugar in it; or I will prepare myself a cup of hot cocoa that is sweetened with honey or agave syrup or Splenda; when I'm baking brownies I use a combination of prunes and Splenda for the sweetener; when I'm making chocolate-chip cookies I sweeten them with Splenda. It just really depends. I don't feel there is any one "perfect" sweetener. However, I am always really really really REALLY on my guard about how much of any of them I use.
WarMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 04:36 PM   #7  

S/C/G: -0/-5/-47

Mmmm, chocolate. Thanks for the reminder.

I chose this diet because of the whole foods approach, and I struggle with the Splenda issue too. I'm not a dessert eater, but I'm addicted to diet sodas.
readhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 04:40 PM   #8  
rainy

From my (paleo diet) view point, sweets are: fruit, dried fruit and honey. Some also use agave syrup (pay attention, it can give allergy) and maple syrup.
Don't just say no to dried fruits, recently I have discovered I can sweeten my teas just putting a dried papaya stick inside it instead of the teaspoon. It seems silly, but it's good.
Old 03-24-2009, 05:03 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

Just to avoid confusion, maple syrup and honey are not allowed on SB.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 09:50 AM   #10  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

262, here's a slew of threads that may help you get the information you need to make a decision (note: I found these by searching the forum for "sweeteners"--our search is really great and very helpful!)

Is Splenda Splendid?
Agave nectar?
Natural Sugar Substitutes
The truth about Splenda?
SB without artificial sweetener?
High Fructose Corn Syrup
Artificial Sweeteners?
sugarfree stuff
Is truvia "South Beach" friendly?j

For those of you who like diet soda but don't like the sweeteners, you may want to check out this thread: Finally! Soda in the US made with Stevia!. I know Coke and Pepsi are currently working on making a diet soda with Stevia, but this describes a soda that's already out.
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 02:22 PM   #11  
Just Beachy...

S/C/G: 210/188/164 (mini goal)

I know that it has been a while since I posted this but I just wanted to say THANK YOU! for your responses! I have been off the wagon (again) but am planning on starting back up on Monday. This will definitely come in handy soon. THANK YOU! Happy holidays!
262mom2three is offline   Reply With Quote