Old 03-16-2009, 12:04 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 131/131/124

Height: 5'5

Default so what do you eat to keep abstinence

I've only been to one OA meeting like 7mos ago and now I am in the same snowballing cycle of binging, guilt, isolation, repeat, etc. except I am much heavier and feel I have reached a new "bottom" (definately a bigger one than the first time I went when I was using lax I think, how did I keep so small at that time...) ANYWAY, I think I'm going to hit a meeting tonight but was curious about this. Is seems like a secret. You know instant everything, I want the answers RIGHT NOW! I don't want to do the work etc, just please God take this obsession from me and give me the power to not binge and to stay away from the foods that are slowly killing me physically, financially, and spiritually. I really have been praying about this but its not working.

I'm a recovering alchie and recovered from AA. It took me 6 mos to get a sobriety date there but now have almost 6 years so perhaps I'm just more stubborn and sicerk than the average sicko.

God bless!
thejourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 01:31 PM   #2  

There is a pamhlet called "the dignity of choice" ask someone if they have this one and I would highly recommend it.

Welcome Home!
patd
patd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 02:01 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 131/131/124

Height: 5'5

Default Thanks Patd!

...it still seems like a secret... I mean what do YOU eat or what can you not eat to remain abstinant in OA?

I do really appreciate you reply!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for the VERY kind Welcome!!!!!

P.s. I didn't get to the OA meeting last night. I went to the other 12 step group I'm in and started talking about God and how things are in His time not mine ....and then started to ugly face cry (didn't know that was coming) so I then passed. It was a womans meeting which is nice. I used to ugly face cry every week when I was fighting the demons of my other addiction years ago. Guess the bottom line is I need to work a spiritual program of recovery with OTHER people FAcE to FACE!!!

God bless!

...Sorry I ramble!!
thejourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 03:28 PM   #4  

So sorry it seems like a secret. The secret is we are all individuals and what works for one might not work for another. It was suggested to me that I go to a nutritionist and so I did and we worked out a plan for me. You see I'm 67(almost), have high cholestrol, fibromyalcia, IBS and some other physical problems so unless we have identical problems physical my plan wouldn't work for you.

I hope this helps you and yes crying or not please go the face to face meetings and find yourself a sponser, it will do wonders as you know from your other program of which I belong too.

Trust in your HP
patd
Old 03-18-2009, 04:35 PM   #5  
Eat for the body you want

S/C/G: 150/148/130

Height: 5' 3"

As you know it's one day, one minute, sometimes one second at a time. I can totally relate to your story, I've been unable to loose these last 21 pounds and instead of exercising and eating healthily I've been binging and isolating. I too belong to the other 12 step program and I haven't been going to my regular meetings. I hope I've hit my bottom, I know I am powerless over food and sensible eating and exercising is contingent on my spiritual program (it's always that simple isn't it)! Sometimes I just keep banging my head against the wall expecting different results. Good luck!
irishtracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 06:30 AM   #6  

It's not a secret..We tend to focus on living the 12-steps instead of weight/dieting. The focus is on life and food. Dignity of choice is an excellent phamplet that will help design your food plan. I eat 3 meals a day with a planned snack/ no sugar/ and weigh and measure my food. That is what works for me. The best thing about OA is that you can do what works for you and not everyone else.
Gymgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 08:14 AM   #7  

Quote:

It's not a secret..We tend to focus on living the 12-steps instead of weight/dieting. The focus is on life and food. Dignity of choice is an excellent phamplet that will help design your food plan. I eat 3 meals a day with a planned snack/ no sugar/ and weigh and measure my food. That is what works for me. The best thing about OA is that you can do what works for you and not everyone else.
This is pretty much the same for me. I eat 5 mini meals with the intent to stay under my maintenance calorie count(doesn't always happen.)
I don't know how anyone can lose weight without knowing their daily calorie count but I guess some people do! I started with the "Mayo Clinic suggested eating plan for someone my age" then changed it to fit my tastes.

Good luck
90lbs gone 30 to go
jglebtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 09:25 AM   #8  

Not to start a heated discussion here but it is my understanding that your HP can be anything, anyone you want as long as you know you are not it.

My HP is a God of my understanding and I wouldn't have it any other way.

At the same time I accept and respect those that do not have God as their HP.

This program is made up of 12 steps and 12 traditions we work them to the best of our ability daily with a sponsor who has gone before us. If you really want to get to the beginnings of the program attend some open AA meetings where there are some old timers there. Talk and visit with them before and after the meetings, they have a lot to offer on this issue and others.

Remember we are a branch off of AA and the core of the program is the Big Book. Read it with an open mind. It will help you understand the program from where it came from in the first place.

It's my belief in order to recover the program says we MUST believe in something or someone greater than ourselves, it doesn't say who or what!

I hope this helps some of the people that don't believe in God or that are having a hard time with the concept of God as others understand Him.

thanks for letting me share my point of view.

hugs
patd
Old 05-01-2009, 03:46 PM   #9  

Well put patd!

It is obvious to me that I can not control my eating. This is way bigger than me. Oh- I can do it for short periods and then kaboom!- and on to a bigger size, over and over. The worst for me is the obsession of the mind- thinking about food and eating 24/7. Finally, finally realizing that I, me, myself, and I are not "it" was huge. I still have to do the "footwork" (not put the food in my mouth, work the program, etc), but I, me, myself, and I do not have to "fix" everything, "figure it all out", etc. So hard to explain, but it works.
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 05:56 AM   #10  

S/C/G: crazy/working/calm

Height: 5'8"

I second (third) Patd and Tommy.
Am still working on tweaking my actual food plan, but I do know what foods NOT to eat. Refined sugar and wheat in most forms are definitely on that list. I know that I function better and am more serene when my eating focuses on protein, vegetables and fruit.

Hope you're able to work out a plan that works for you.
Alexistrophic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 09:02 AM   #11  

Here is another thing that my sponsor suggest I do when I first started and I did do it and still use it.

Make three lines down a piece of paper.

First one list your green foods. These are foods you have no problem with . You can eat a serving and leave them alone and they don't set you off into your conplusion.

2nd list is yellow foods: These are foods you are not sure about. sometimes you eat them and you're okey and other times you eat too much. They are kind of middle of the road foods.

3rd list is red foods: These are foods you know are going to start you to never never land with the food binge.

If one is honest with food you can be honest with other things in your life as you aren't covering them up with food.

These lists are not written in concrete but on paper so they can change
Sometimes a green food will move to the yellow list sometime you will realize you need to move a yellow food to the green or red food list. It has been my experience so far that I never have moved a red food to another list. That's why they are on the red food list I don't eat them knowing if I do I'm a goner and into relapse I go.

I hope this helps someone. It's the old stop light trick, red you stop, yellow you think about it and green you go.

Have an abstinent day everyone.
Patd
Old 05-03-2009, 12:52 PM   #12  

S/C/G: crazy/working/calm

Height: 5'8"

Oh, Pat. That's fantastic. I'm going to do that tonight.

Thanks for sharing!
Alexistrophic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 11:56 PM   #13  

In the old days, OAers used to follow the Gray Sheet.... which was basically three meals, low carb, no white stuff....sugar, flour, salt. I seem to remember that lunch and dinner were just protein and salad... and I think breakfast had some form of whole grains, but it's been a long, long time.

Then sometime (not sure when), it was determined that people needed to work out their own plan.

I think the three columns/red..yellow...green thing is fantastic. I also think it helps to ask yourself some intuitive eating questions.... what does your body feel best after you eat? What energizes you? Etc.

For others, abstinence is simply accountability. So at night, you say...tomorrow I'm going to eat x,y,z and if you stick to that... whatever it is... even if it's 4 cookies... it's abstinence.
FabFatGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 08:31 AM   #14  

Abstinence in Overeaters Anonymous is the action of refraining from compulsive eating and compulsive food behaviors.

This is the new definition of abstinence taken from the OA official website and decided by the WSBC.

I thought maybe some haven't seen it so I thought I'd post it. I like it.

hugs
patd
Old 05-25-2009, 12:35 PM   #15  
Hunger-not an emergency!

S/C/G: [url=http://www.3fatchicks.com

I am glad that I read this...the column bit is great. I am still learning about oa and am a beginner. Thanks for the help.
angelmomma210 is offline   Reply With Quote