South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 03-21-2009, 09:02 PM   #1  
Getting fit and healthy!

S/C/G: 200 / see ticker / 145

Height: 5'8"

Default Mashed cauliflower?

Could anyone tell me the trick to getting the texture "right" with mashed cauliflower? We tried this once (months ago) and it was SO yucky! We simmered the florets for ages, drained them and ran them through the food processor but after all that work it was extremely lumpy and unpleasant.

Would steaming work better? If so, how would you do that (I've never been much for steaming veggies.) Is it even possible to get cauliflower as soft and velvety as potatoes, or at least close?

Thanks in advance, you guys always have the best advice.

Last edited by Betsi; 03-21-2009 at 09:02 PM.
Betsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 09:25 PM   #2  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

This is the recipe I've followed...always turns out well.http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/mashed_potatoes.html

JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 09:25 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 270/255/healthy

Height: 5'5"

Try starting with frozen cauliflower. Steam it in the microwave. I've never made it in the food processor, but I make it with a hand blender. A little milk and a touch of low-fat cream cheese helps make it creamy.

I also find that it's better if I don't think of it as a substitute for potatoes, because it doesn't taste like potatoes or feel like potatoes in your mouth. It just doesn't. It's cauliflower mash, you know?
learningtofly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 09:55 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGyrl View Post
This is the recipe I've followed...always turns out well.http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/mashed_potatoes.html

This recipe isn't SBD compliant, since it calls for butter and heavy cream, which are no-no's on this plan.

I like to start with raw cauliflower, and steam it until it's soft. Then I put it in the food processor and puree it before adding a little Smart Balance margarine and seasonings. If you want it even creamier, you can add a little FF 1/2 & 1/2 to get the consistency you want, but I don't think it needs it.
I like the suggestion of adding a little cream cheese to it, or even a wedge or two of flavored Laughing Cow cheese.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 11:07 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 155/141/138

Height: 5'7"

It will be lumpier and a different consistency than potatos. I second the PP who said to think of it solely as mashed cauliflower - it is NOT a potato and will never really be a subsitute, just a stand in. But I do enjoy it in its own right and cauliflower fried rice is a side we use frequently.
amasam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 11:12 AM   #6  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

OOOhh..LOVE the mashed cauliflower..I ate an entire head of cauliflower last weekend--I even use the stem--not just the florets..

absolutely--cauliflower is not a potato but learning to accept God's bounty without exception has been part of the process for me
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 01:16 PM   #7  
No longer super size!!!

S/C/G: 282/ticker/190

Height: 6' 0"

I use a touch of reduced fat sour cream in mine. And I agree with the others - it's not potatoes, just a stand in for potatoes.
grneyedmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 02:50 PM   #8  
Vegan.whole.foodie.

S/C/G: hw252 csw220/???/160

Height: 5'7.5 ;)

I would try to doctor them up- sometimes I use a ranch powder in them... with some sour cream...

Or sometimes I add rf shredded cheese, chives, and bacon bits...

In general to make them creamy I add sour cream to mine before I use the hand blender- but they will never taste like the real thing
rdw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 08:27 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 338 / 302 / 238

Height: 5'9"

I made these hoping they'd be a good potato substitute but it didn't work out that way. Even though I've lived in the south all my life, they tasted exactly like grits to me. And I hate grits. They're too...gritty. Is there any way to get cauliflower past that grit-like stage?
Kriterian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 08:43 AM   #10  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Sorry but it's still cauliflower. I suppose you could press it through a fine sieve but it will still be a tad gritty. We have to think of it as smashed cauliflower, I guess.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 09:02 AM   #11  
Getting fit and healthy!

S/C/G: 200 / see ticker / 145

Height: 5'8"

Thanks everyone. I think I've just heard it referred to as "fake mashed potatoes" just enough times that I thought I was doing something wrong.

I may have to try the fried rice style, though, I think I wouldn't mind the texture that way. Now I just have to convince my sweetie, as he isn't too fond of the taste.
Betsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 09:39 AM   #12  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Betsi, I posted this in the How to Eat Veggies When You Hate Them All! thread, but if you're looking for other ways to try cauliflower, check these two out:

Quote:
I have an awesome roasted cauli recipe. Here it is! It's amazing. I promise you'll like it!

In the meantime, here's another way to like veggies--hide 'em! I got this great "Mozzerella Stick" recipe from Deceptively Delicious (cookbook that talks about how to hide veggies in food for little kids, but it works well for us "big kids" too! ) made with cauliflower puree.
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote