South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 03-18-2009, 10:28 AM   #1  

S/C/G: Too much/Less/Just Right!

Height: 5'4"

Default Is Dried Fruit Okay?

I may be wrong... I thought we couldn't 'legally' have dried fruit on SBD? I miss prunes and raisins.
Chelby29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 10:48 AM   #2  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

I make my own unsweetened dried fruit and know exactly how many slices equal an apple (or pear or peach). I think (I'm too lazy to check!) we can have unsweetened dried fruit except the high GI things like dates and prunes.

ETA - okay, just looked and I am remembering right
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 01:18 PM   #3  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Thanks for looking it up, Cyndi! You're awesome! Dried fruit is fine, as long as it's unsweetened. I even tried prunes after my nutritionist asked me to eat them, and I found that as long as I ate them with protein, they didn't bother me at all. Must be all the fiber in 'em that slows down the sugar release! Dates are another story, but sometimes they are okay for me, too. Raisins can be used in small amounts. Just make sure the dried fruit isn't sweetened. I especially love the "Crunchers" brand of freeze-dried fruit. It's unsweetened and, as the name implies, crunchy!

Last edited by beachgal; 03-19-2009 at 03:10 PM.
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 02:17 PM   #4  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

I love LOVE LOVE Prunes

Last edited by beachgal; 03-19-2009 at 03:10 PM. Reason: to take out the info that belongs to the Splenda thread...
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 02:23 PM   #5  
Working on healthy

I have the moderation problem with prunes. I love them, especially the orange ones! Even with all the fiber I eat (usually 40 - 50 g a day) too many prunes make my belly unhappy. I can only keep them around in single serving packs. I hate the waste but need external controls. I also found 100 calorie packs of almonds (yeah, that's about 8) which I keep in my drawer at work. I wonder if I will ever develop "normal" self control?
Old 03-19-2009, 03:07 PM   #6  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Cyndi, this is just me, but I think that "normal" self-control isn't actually normal. I know people who stop eating when they don't want anymore (long before I'd stop eating!), but very few people who truly have self-control in that they want something and only let themself have a small bit of it.

I guess the problem is that we feel guilty for using things like portioned packages to help us eat portions. Why should we feel guilty about that? My thought is, if it helps me stay healthy, a little extra packaging is okay.

When I was diagnosed with ADHD at 30 or so, I developed this strange sense of peace about dealing with my own inadequacies. I'm okay with the fact that I just can't remember things without writing them down, putting tons of post-its up and asking friends/devices to help me remember. I acknowledge that, no matter how hard I try, I'm never going to be a person that just remembers it all without effort, and that's okay! I feel the same way about food. Whether it's "normal" or not, I need help in sticking with portion sizes. I don't think that's something to feel bad or guilty about.

I love prunes, too. Has anyone had the chopped up ones that are dipped in dark chocolate? They are a wonderful once-a-week treat for me!

Last edited by beachgal; 03-19-2009 at 03:08 PM.
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 04:01 PM   #7  

S/C/G: Too much/Less/Just Right!

Height: 5'4"

Dark chocolate covered prunes are WONDERFUL! And my hubby won't touch them.
Chelby29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 06:10 PM   #8  
Working on healthy

Now I have a thread to post this in! I discovered that Amazon carries Bare Fruit dried mangoes, pineapple, pears & cherries. They are organic and significantly cheaper than the small packages I've been buying. I bought 2 lbs of mangoes and 2 of pineapple (that's the quantity they come in) and a box of small packages of the pears for DP to use as work snacks. They arrived today and the verdict is - the mangoes and pineapple are really good. Pears aren't here yet