South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 03-17-2009, 11:10 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 154/148.6/119

Height: 5'6"

Default Restaurants are Evil

Had lunch with a girlfriend today and came home to log my calories.

Jeez!

A Chicken Cesar wrap is crazy.

I'm staying home.

Unless the husband *insists* on taking me out for sashimi.

Showed a one pound loss this morning.

I'm sure I'll be up two by tomorrow.

AnAbsoluteDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:15 PM   #2  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

Indeed. Restaurants really don't care about health, it is their job to make sure everything tastes good. We rarely go out anymore unless it is to a local deli that has an absolutely fantastic salad bar - full of heirloom lettuces, fresh tomatoes, homemade mozzarella, fresh peppers and tons of other veggies plus proteins like beans, chicken, salmon, tuna, and beef. The best part? They have the nutrition info listed by the ingredient so it is easy to make smart choices when moving through the line.

The rest of their menu is top notch and mostly local/organic as well.

I just wish restaurants would realize that it *IS* possible to make things taste good without sending the calories to the moon. I scoff at the menus that list their "healthy" options as having 700 calories or less. 700 calories for one meal?!

Last edited by zeffryn; 03-17-2009 at 11:16 PM.
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:21 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 154/148.6/119

Height: 5'6"

Zeff,

I'm going out to eat with YOU.

You understand!!!
AnAbsoluteDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 12:39 AM   #4  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

I try

I've begun to notice that I can make nearly the same thing as a restaurant, with much better quality ingredients and usually half the fat and calories. 700 calories for grilled chicken with rice and veggies is absurd....and so is the price that accompanies it.

--

Also, I could eat maki and sashimi every day of the week.

DH and I are going out on Friday for tapas for a friend's birthday. I'm getting the tenderloin tartare and I don't care what anybody says! It is the most decadent thing and for as little as we go out by ourselves -- I'm indulging. Thankfully it's tapas and most of it is pretty figure friendly.

Last edited by zeffryn; 03-18-2009 at 12:41 AM.
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 07:54 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 151.5/149.9/135

Height: 5'4"

In NYC, all restaurants with more than 6 locations must post calorie counts on the menu. It has been so horrifyingly eye-opening, and I hope other cities follw suit soon. For example, my BF and I went to applebee's a few months back... and I learned by favorite shrimp and spinach salad has 1300 CALORIES!!! Now, it is not only possible to make a low-cal shrimp and spinach salad taste delicious... it's downright easy!!!

Pretty much everyone I know, even my super-skinny BF, has changed the way they eat out as a result of calorie postings.
swandive81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 08:32 AM   #6  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

swandive, I love calorie counts being "outted" BRAVO for NYC! Now, if we can just get that happening across the southern region of the U.S.!!!!! How many pieces of fried catfish, fried chicken or hushpuppies does one person actually need???
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 09:12 AM   #7  
No longer super size!!!

S/C/G: 282/ticker/190

Height: 6' 0"

It absolutely amazes me the amount of calories and SODIUM is used in restaurant food. I've learned how to make some great knockoff restaurant recipes at home without all the crazy calories, fat, and salt.

Restaurants are indeed EVIL.
grneyedmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 10:26 AM   #8  

S/C/G: Too much/Less/Just Right!

Height: 5'4"

My DH informs me that I'm a better cook than any restaurant cook. He's right. Sometimes I just want someone else to cook and clean up! It's better for me to eat at home. It's hard to not consider eating out some kind of a celebration. Bring on the bread basket!

I would have considered shrimp and spinach a healthy fare. Boy, I would have been wrong!
Chelby29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 11:32 AM   #9  
No longer super size!!!

S/C/G: 282/ticker/190

Height: 6' 0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thighs Be Gone View Post
swandive, I love calorie counts being "outted" BRAVO for NYC! Now, if we can just get that happening across the southern region of the U.S.!!!!! How many pieces of fried catfish, fried chicken or hushpuppies does one person actually need???
Paula Deen's restaurant would be in HUGE trouble. LOL.
grneyedmustang is offline   Reply With Quote