Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-17-2009, 02:57 PM   #1  
tamIam

S/C/G: size16/size14/size10

Height: 5'7"

Default Crazy Wine Rant

Wow. I think I must be a crazy wino.
I am a weekend drinker and smoker. But boy oh boy-- do I drink and smoke when I do! I thought I had a grip on this weight loss thing but have been slowly gaining. (It's creeping onto my belly when it thinks I'm not looking but I know it's there) I thought it was because I had slowed my smoking down to a near halt and I've injured my back, but I'm afeared I've been lying to myself. I think it is mostly the wine I love so so much!!
Sadly, I really REALLY overdid it last weekend and I've sworn off booze for a few months. Reflecting (As I do) I can't even remember the last time I went even a month without a wine. Wow. I hadn't realized how much or how many calories I consume a week. I'll bet it was an extra 1200 calories on friday night alone between the wine and pints of beer. Yikes!! I mean...just WOW. (I'm thinkin maybe I'm needing a different sort of support group.)
Now thinking about all that booze and the nachos....what on earth was I thinking?? Yeah RIGHT Tam.....it's the five fewer cigarettes I'm smoking a week. That is some serious denial right there. Okay. Whew. That's off my chest.
greeneggsandtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 03:39 PM   #2  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

You know what? I've always struggled with weight, but I had never been "Super morbidly obese" until I started drinking heavily. I'd drink wine while I was cooking supper and by the time it was ready I didn't want to spoil my good buzz I had going, so I'd sit down at the table and visit with the family while they ate...(and drink my wine). I'd get up, do the dishes, make sure everyone did their homework, was showered, and tucked into bed and then decided I better eat so I wouldn't have a hangover. So I'd eat a huge supper at 8-9 (or 10) every night and go straight to bed. A year or so of that got me at least 100 pounds!

I quit drinking, smoking and over eating all within a month or so of each other. I have saved almost enough money in the last year for a new set of knockers!!

Last edited by Lori Bell; 03-17-2009 at 03:42 PM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 04:02 PM   #3  
back in the game

S/C/G: 311/180/170

Height: around 5'10"

Your post made me chuckle. You've figured out what's been holding you back--good luck on cutting back on the booze! Alcohol, nachos and smokes all go together so if you don't drink as much I think you will find it easier to cut back on the other stuff.

Having said that, on Saturday night I drank a lot, came home and my roommate and I ate almost 2 whole boxes of Kraft dinner between us. This is after last weekend when I posted about eating poutine (fries with gravy and cheese) at 4AM after a night of drinking! So clearly I need to cut back too. lol
futuresurferchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 04:09 PM   #4  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

OMG Lori Bell you climbed inside my brain and wrote that for me, right??

You know what? I've always struggled with weight, but I had never been "Super morbidly obese" until I started drinking heavily.
Check

I'd drink wine while I was cooking supper ... spoil my good buzz ... year or so of that got me at least 100 pounds!

Check. For me, it was I was giant smackdown depressed (didn't know it, duh), I'd come home from work for lunch, drink my first beer of the day, then 3-4 more, go back (boss kept beer in our fridge; I had to go out and replace it every 2-3 days), keep drinking beers in my starbucks insulated mug...brush teeth twice an hour--so generally it was 6-10 beers from noon - six then the REAL drinking would start. I'd be obliterated by 10 PM, stagger off to bed, then up at 7 and do it all again--I worked 7 days a week so weekends too. Gained 100 lbs in six months right after my divorce then another 50 over the next year or so, until I leveled off at around the 350-375 mark. "Maintained" at that weight for about 4 years. Quit the heavy drinking in late 2006. Quit drinking 99% in 2008. Quit drinking 100% January of this year. The carbs in alcohol just ain't worth it, and clearly I'm an alcoholic. Duh. Drinking at work's not normal.

I quit drinking, smoking and over eating all within a month or so of each other. I have saved almost enough money in the last year for a new set of knockers!!
Check, except I'm happy with my rack! The money I'm saving is getting eaten up by this bad economy...but hey at least I'm not getting deeper in debt. I quit carbs in August, quit smoking in October and quit booze altogether in January. The thing that I think has made the most profound difference for me, even though I've lost almost 100 lbs giving up carbs, is actually the smoking.

I LOVED smoking. I was a very happy smoker. I never lost sleep worrying about cancer, emphysema, etc. Couldn't care less. Cigarettes were TASTY and fun. Until... I'd been on Atkins a couple months and my body and life were changing bigtime. There were about six separate reasons/motivations for me to quit smoking, all of which I'm not comfortable sharing, but suffice it to say, quitting kind of occurred to me around the 1st of October 2008, I dismissed it from my mind, it kept coming back, then October 8th I said *$#! it, fine, I quit. And I did. Walked away from a 27-year, pack+ a day habit and never looked back. Cold turkey. AND I AM SO HAPPY I DID!!! Took a good week to detox then a month to quit thinking about it as much and now I'm almost 6 months out and I only miss it in a nostalgic way. I just wanted to quit more than I wanted to smoke...so I quit.

GreenEggsAndTam, you're not a crazy wino. Can you ride out your motivation to give up wine and smokes ~ and do it? I swear to you on a stack of whatever you hold holy, if you do it, a week from now you'll feel better, a month from now you'll feel great, and six months from now you will feel like a WHOLE NEW PERSON. I 100% guarantee it.
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 04:09 PM   #5  

S/C/G: HW 176/SW 163/CW ticker/GW 120

Height: 5'4"

you just described about 78% of my problem.
sws19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 04:23 PM   #6  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I've heard of that new 0 calorie wine- "slender" I want to try it! It comes in red, white, and blush. I cut out pretty much all my wine consumption also
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 05:01 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 157/133.4/130

Height: 5'5"

How can something with 0 calories have alcohol in it? Alcohol is 7 calories / gram, period.
Su-Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 08:26 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 230/210/150

Height: 5'1"

I don't think it's a zero calorie. just 0 sugar. It's sweetened wth s sugar free sweetener to cut calories.
Ursula745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 08:29 PM   #9  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs down Calories in Slender Wines

from
http://www.nowpublic.com/strange/sle...car-presenters

Quote:
Chateau Thomas Winery advertises Slender Wines as having "no sugar, no carbs, no aftertaste, no kidding." But just because the wine has no sugar doesn't mean it has no calories. People who think that Slender is a zero calorie wine may be disappointed.

Although it doesn't warrant a mention on the Slender website, their wines have as many calories as many regular wines. That's because alcohol has plenty of calories. A glass of Slender wine may contain more than 100 calories.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 08:48 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Just my humble opinion, however ... if you love my BOYS well enough to use them as your avatar, you're not a crazy anything.

Now to the weekend thing ... I'd be willing to stick my neck out and say that loads of folks who think they're on a weight loss regimen do this ... Lose 3-4 pounds each week and gain them back on the weekend. Does it matter if it's food or drink or smokes? Not really. The sin is the same. And the denial is ubercommon ...
I don't think I really eat that much ...
I'm fairly active ...
Almost everything I eat is fairly healthy ...

I've known you for a while and I think you know what you're doing.

Stuff happens.
I allow stuff to happen.
Sometimes I make stuff happen.
Do I know how to fix it? Yes. Can I fix it? Yes. Do I fix it in an expedient manner? Nope, not always.

Last edited by srmb60; 03-18-2009 at 08:49 AM.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 10:16 AM   #11  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

I've also experienced that connection between the buzz and overeating. I haven't had to give it up - I love my red wine and dark beer, and delight in the fact that every week a new study supports LIGHT drinking of adult beverages that have resveratrol and/or polyphenols ... But a journal review of my eating habits has proven to me that more than one drink will definitely lead to "reduced inhibitions" as far as food. Things like, "Oh, sure - I WILL have dessert!" or, "Oooh, it was supposed to be swimming night, wasn't it?" I had to decide what I wanted more - the buzz or the loose pants. I really, really like the loose pants.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 12:17 PM   #12  
tamIam

S/C/G: size16/size14/size10

Good Morning
Lori Bell - Yessss! That describes any night we have people over. I kind of hover around the kitchen with the wine and food in easy reaching distance.
Lousy lack of inhibition! Lol
Susan - Yeah! You're not Jive Talkin!! Hahaha. Awesome! I'm glad to actually even come to realize that I how much in denial I was.
Thank you DC - for the kind encouragement. It will help. I am so happy to know I have support here.
About this slender wine? I don't think it's the calories in it for me, it's the effect of the alcohol for me. The lack of inhibition. The feeling of needing to consume more. Along with the food and doing snow angels on the front lawn at 2:00am.... The aftermath ain't so pretty.
Thanks so much for all the input! You ladies are the greatest! I know I can get a handle on this. I've already started.
greeneggsandtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 01:02 PM   #13  
Priscatip

Height: 5' 6"

I feel the same way. Not only do I consume over my calories because of hundreds of beer calories, but I eat chips or pizza or whatever is there at the same time. I keep trying to give myself cheat days on holidays so I can drink and not feel bad, but it's just making me realize I drink a lot, apparently. Saturdays are not holidays by default.

Just wanted you to know you're not alone, I'm one more.
Priscatip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 01:07 PM   #14  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

My mistake- I could have sworn my friend said it has 0 calories. But really if it has just as much calories as regular wine then what's the point? I guess if you are diabetic? But alcohol has sugars doesn't it?

ETA: Their site claims that the "Chateau Thomas also produces the world?s only naturally-sweetened sugar-free sweet wine, Slender. Slender wines are available in White (Muscat Canelli), Blush (Chenin Blanc), and Red (Rubired). These are premium, normal-alcohol table wines for those who DON'T WANT or CAN'T HAVE sugar. They are sweetened with Zerose® a no-calorie, sugar alcohol."

I guess that's where the 0 calorie came from.

I'm not buying it online- if it ever hits stores I'm going to check it out lol.

Last edited by beerab; 03-18-2009 at 01:11 PM.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 01:42 PM   #15  
No longer super size!!!

S/C/G: 282/ticker/190

Height: 6' 0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscatip View Post
Saturdays are not holidays by default.
Priscatip, I like this and I'm using it in my signature, if you don't mind...

And to the OP, you're definitely not alone...the weekends usually gets me in trouble, because I have one too many drinks. But I would like to try the low carb wine...

Last edited by grneyedmustang; 03-18-2009 at 01:45 PM.
grneyedmustang is offline   Reply With Quote