Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 03-16-2009, 10:55 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Default BFL - Week 8, looking for my miracle

Or as someone said to me, it's no miracle, it's a ton of hard work and commitment. All very true, but, week 8 is known to many as the week when all the pieces come together, thus having the nickname of the miracle 'results' week. WHatever it is, miracle, or just sweat and stink, I'm looking for it this week!

So, you know you are a committed BFL'er when you grab half a chicken breast out of the fridge and just eat it without reheating it. I'm starting to have some weird combinations, this morning's cold chicken breast and oatmeal being one of them.

I've noticed another nice benefit, and that's my grocery bill going down. I usually come in somewhere around $500 month (I use a ton of coupons - like $17/worth on my last trip). February was a short month, but looking over my credit card stmt, I only spent about $300 on groceries. No, eating healthy isn't cheap, but maybe surviving on cottage cheese, eggs, and yogurt is? Alot of our fresh fruit is junky at this time of year, so I expect that will go up in the summer when the grapes and strawberries are better quality and melons are in season. Right now I'm subsisting on good grapes when we can find them, clementines, broccoli and carrots!

Feeling good after that lbwo last nite. Scale didn't move for me at all this week, when will I learn free day needs to be a meal, not a day, and that that's OK!? I actually popped up 5 lbs and worked my way back down last week, so I guess there was hard work in getting that done anyway.

4 more weeks ladies - let's make 'em count!!
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 12:55 PM   #2  
PR 1 Mile: 9:44

S/C/G: 200.5/160/130

Height: 5'-4"

I'll take a miracle over here too please! I had a migraine from the time the race stopped on Saturday until late last night. No lifting for me over the weekend. I did a LBWO this morning, but it wasn't 100%. However, tonight I will be leading DH in his first BFL session. (MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!!!) Of course it's going to make my workout slow for awhile, but the results will be worth it. Last night though, he almost pulled a muscle in his back trying to get on the weight bench. We've got a lot of work to do.

Fran - I noticed that I can go a lot longer between grocery store visits doing BFL.
dixied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 01:38 PM   #3  

Dee, my dh had a similar experience his first time slogging himself on to the bench. I really thought he was just going to roll right off the other side. Then I realized he was completely round on top, not flat. He does have a barrel chest, but now a barrel belly too -- not good. He just crossed his half way point this weekend and lost 20 lbs, in case your dh wants to hear a "it can be done, really" story.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:13 PM   #4  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Fran: I suspect that my grocery bill is lower eating this way than it would be otherwise. However, I will admit that I do have to go more frequently. I just can't store enough cottage cheese, yogurt, eggs and produce in my fridge for the whole week.

All of you are doing such a fantastic job.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 04:56 PM   #5  
No description available.

I easily go through 32 oz of cottage cheese a week. We eat out way less often with my new WOE, so we do save money.

4 weeks left? I'm gonna buckle down!!

Have fun training your DH, Dee.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 05:33 PM   #6  

I can get by going every 2 weeks. The ctgchs, eggs, and milk are fresh enough at Costco that they are good with expiration dates 2 weeks out - on milk, and a month out on the eggs and ctg chs. Then I just have to run to the local for bread and produce. The meat I freeze and defrost as I go so it's no problem. I usually buy 4 jumbo cottage cheese, 36 eggs and 2 big tubs of yogurt and that will get me thru 2 weeks.

Dee, good luck tonite - hopefully he doesn't give you a new migraine!! Full report expected tomorrow please!
Old 03-16-2009, 09:29 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 140/122/tight and toned!

Height: 5'3"

I have been following the plan PERFECTLY for a week. My body aches the day after the weight training days. I'm confused though... my measurements are the same but I've gained about 2 pounds. I don't weight myself everyday but when I do, it's always a little heavier than before. After a week, shouldn't my body be used to the 10 cups of water daily? I can't really be gaining 2 pounds of muscle in a week, can I? Yesterday was my free day but this weight gain trend was ongoing all of last week aswell. Am I normal? Is my body okay or am I causing damage? Maybe someone out there has experienced something similar. Thanks girls!!! I've been reading your week 1 posts all week (imagining I'm right there with you). You're doing great!!! You're all so motivating
ohmanilovegod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 10:25 PM   #8  

Ohman, your body weight is already pretty low, so you don't have a ton of weight to lose really. Your gain of 2 lbs is completely normal and only temporary. From all the working out, your muscles are holding glycogen and glycogen likes to have water around to help it do its job. I'm not a trainer, so I'm repeating what I've seen said. Your muscles get a pump while the glycogen and stored water do its thing. You're not gaining weight, you are having a temporary change in your body so that you can grow more muscle. You are on the right path.

You should really get your body composition measured at a gym or on a scale to make sure your goal weight is right for you. Last thing you want is to be aiming at a goal that would require you to have less muscle weight than what you already have. If you are just trying to look your best, then ignore the scale and stick to the program. BUt if the scale decides whether or not you feel successful on the program, you really need to know what your body composition is.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:35 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 140/122/tight and toned!

Height: 5'3"

Thanks sportmom. I don't really care about the scale number anymore. I want my body to feel and look healthier. I love BFL. It's tricky at times (especially at midnight when you realize there is only one serving of cottage cheese left and you need to get shopping first thing in the morning) but I feel so much better. I didn't gravitate towards a lot of junk food before BFL... but I didn't ALWAYS eat every 2-3 hours or drink this much water/work out everyday. I feel more alert and I really feel like my mood and love of life are up a few points. I'm not complaining at all... I can get over the scale numbers.. I just want to make sure I'm healthy and I'm doing things right. I really appreciate your post. I didn't know that about the glycogen storage (or I forgot). It's nice to know we all have the same goal here and that is... a healthier.. better life.

Sometimes it's just good to hear you're normal, you know?
It's not really good to lean on that
but it's especially nice to hear that when the little voice inside that wants me to be lazy and quit pipes in.

Thanks for shutting that voice up.
: )
ohmanilovegod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 02:23 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 200/190/165

Height: 5'9

I'm going into week five of the BFL challenge. I started this one before and quit, personal life got in the way, I don't know. I too find my grocery bill and my eating out costs are down. And I'm funny too, someone behind me in line at the grocery store last night said "you are doing good"... turns out she was a yoga teacher into nutrition.

Truth is once you learn about dieting, nutrition and then go to the BFL lifestyle there isn't a whole lot to buy. I buy tubs of yogurt, cottage cheese, bulk chicken, eggs, turkey, tuna, shrimp, rarely some steak, veggies, lettuce, berries, some healthy crackers, protein bars...

I've read the Clean Eating book too that seems to go with BFL and I'm even cutting out some condiments - like adding yogurt to tuna with pickles instead of processed mayo. I FEEL good with this lifestyle of lots of protein and little junk food. When I eat out I'll eat half of the bun, sometimes no bun at all with a chicken sandwich and a salad. Sometimes I'll splurge on a burger. But I'm not craving junk food like I used to.

I've lost about 8 lbs in a month... I"m HOPING for another 6-8 this next 4 weeks and more the final four weeks. But to me this is becoming a lifestyle that I'll do even after the challenge. I like being more toned. I like lifting heavier and heavier weights. It's a great challenge and program....
horsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 01:47 AM   #11  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Y'all are doing great! I'm too wiped with the full body crossfit workouts 3 days a week to figure how to fit any fun bodybuilder type lifting in (it's like, does ANYthing not hurt today? nope!), but I'm cheering you on!
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 08:54 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 152/140/125

I'm on week 2 and feeling good. I am traveling for 10 days on business so I'm doing my best to eat on plan but I'm not perfect. It's difficult when you're traveling. However, I am sticking to it the best I can and doing all of my workouts in the hotel gym.

I'm curious, those of you in week 8, what results have you seen so far? Visible muscle development? Inches lost? Pounds lost? Baggy clothing? I would love to hear what week 8 looks like for you.
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 12:20 AM   #13  

Genesis, I'm down about 17 pounds, many many inches, looser clothes, the works. No visible muscle development yet bc my bf% is still pretty high.

I think it all depends on where you start from. People on the higher end of the scale with more to lose will see faster results, and those closer to their ideal weight will not see the weight (fat) loss - in fact they often gain from the muscle gain, but I think everyone sees sizes and inches off improvement.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:41 AM   #14  
PR 1 Mile: 9:44

S/C/G: 200.5/160/130

Height: 5'-4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
I'm curious, those of you in week 8, what results have you seen so far? Visible muscle development? Inches lost? Pounds lost? Baggy clothing? I would love to hear what week 8 looks like for you.
I started at 156, and I lost down to 150, but my weight is fluxing like crazy. However I don't care, because I can see actual muscle definition, and I'm down a couple of sizes. As a matter of fact, I just bought 3 pairs of size 6 pants. I started at a 10. That makes me very happy!
dixied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 06:51 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 152/140/125

Thanks for sharing your progress! It sounds like you're getting wonderful results. I'm really enjoying the program so far and plan to stick with it for a loooong time!
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote