Old 03-13-2009, 09:28 PM   #1  

Default PMS more severe with age

I have a question for you 30 somethings.I have noticed that the older I get(Am 38), the more severe my PMS symptoms get.I have been so misreable for the last 3 days......bloated, crampy, irritable.When I was in my 20s I hardly knew it was about TOM.Do any of you have any suggestions for managing the symptoms other than advil???Thank you from me.......and my family.LOL
harrismm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 10:05 PM   #2  
Workin' It

Mine got worse in my early 30's, but have gotten a whole lot better the last year since I changed my diet and exercised more. I'm 37.

I found an article somewhere about potassium and other nutrients in fruits and veggies helping with PMS symptoms. I make a fruit smoothie pretty much every day, so it very well could be true. I'll look to see if I can find the article...

I also exercise when I get all PMS crazy and the symptoms seem to subside.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 09:40 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 230/226.6/170

Height: 5,8

I started having PMS that was so severe when I turned 30. I was starting to get something like an anxiety attack. I would have the rapid heart beat. I did read where blood sugar has a lot to do with that. Now that I have changed my diet, I haven't had one in two months.
SapphireBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 12:15 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 181/150/135

I got severe symptoms too, but I contributed it to having babies and not being on the pill anymore. I dread TOM now.
rileyozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 08:58 AM   #5  
LBH

S/C/G: 279.8/276.9/170

Height: 5'10"

I'm not sure that mine got worse, I've always been an emotional mess during PMS! But I've also been on the pill, which has helped a TON! I am on Yaz and it totally helps the physical and emotional symptoms before and during TOM.
LBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 09:30 AM   #6  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Height: 5'4"

I've always srtuggled with pms but my symptoms have definitely worsened. And I'm already on YAZ.

The link b/c high blood glucose and increased symptoms makes sense. When I started this lifestyle change I was much more diligent about watching sugars. (and I was not aware of increased pms)
Now, in maintenance I have become very lax and prone to revert to sugar binges during pms. And I come pretty darn close to losing my mind.

food for thought
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 01:21 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon in ATL View Post
Mine got worse in my early 30's, but have gotten a whole lot better the last year since I changed my diet and exercised more. I'm 37.
Ditto. Interestingly, my periods got better almost immediately (although the flow and pain were both still quite a bit worse than in my younger years). But my last period, wow, it was almost back to the way it was when I was young. I'm awaiting next month to see if that was a fluke or if it really has gotten even better.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 02:02 PM   #8  

S/C/G: see signature!

Height: 5'6

I have had horrific periods ever since I started the first one back at age 14....so I have been on the pill to help, but PMS will still flare a little on the bad side every now and then(since I have gained all this weight), proper diet and exercise are supposed to help....so with the right BC pill and diet and exercise I am hoping to be normal again....I know they tell you not to eat salty foods and caffeine during those times, but I think its different for each woman.
WVU Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 04:47 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 199.2/180.8/125

Height: 5'2"

I've just noticed I get more irritated when TOM comes around. My deal is that I've been getting two Aunt Flo's a month. No one has a great answer for it either...frustrating!!
indymom76 is offline   Reply With Quote