Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 03-03-2009, 02:44 PM   #1  
Counter-Hipster

S/C/G: 184/ticker/140

Height: 5'7"

Default George Foreman Recipe Thread

Hi!

I did a search for anything George Foreman and found a bunch of scattered mentions, but no threads dedicated to the wonderful, amazing George Foreman grill. Chicken at 3 minutes is a god-given miracle, in my book!

I've done chicken, sirloin and salmon on it so far and it all turns out great (though the salmon was my first attempt at fish in any way and I think it was pretty underdone). So I thought it would be a great idea to share some of your healthy, weight-loss friendly recipes all in one place!

Since we all have different kinds of meal schedules, put the meal in the subject line for ease of browsing (you know, "breakfast", "snack" etc). If this gets sticky-ed it would make a great reference thread for fellow George Foreman enthusiasts!

EDIT: Mods: Oops, this should go in "Recipes"! Sorry!

Last edited by dominodreams; 03-03-2009 at 02:50 PM.
dominodreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 02:49 PM   #2  
Counter-Hipster

Since I live alone and usually only cook for one (for now!!) I get Perdue Perfect Portions in plain, Garlic and White Wine, and Italian style. All three are super easy, cause you just defrost, throw it on, cook for 3 minutes and you have a delicious main portion! I like to pour the marinade over the chicken while it's cooking to cook up the juice to make a sort of gravy-like thing. Trust me, it works. The plain chicken juice I give to my cats.

I like my steak extra rare so once it's defrosted completely it takes about 2 minutes at the most to cook it perfectly.

The only thing I don't like about it, though, is that you really can't make a gravy out of the juice and scrapings like you can with a pan. Though I guess the juices that run off the plates are cooked enough to work?

I'd love to hear some recipes for grilling fresh veggies!!
Old 03-03-2009, 07:08 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 233/181/160

Height: 5'9"

I love to make tuna melts/grilled cheese/paninis on my grill because you don't need butter to toast the bread.
CrazedLedZepFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 02:31 PM   #4  

I love the Panini idea!

I've made kabobs and grilled them on the Foreman. They turn out pretty good.

I also grill vegetables on it!
Hyacinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 05:42 PM   #5  
Maintenance May 2011

S/C/G: 312/149/150

Height: 5'6"

Default Dinner: Grilled Boneless Pork Chops

Use either regular or thin lean pork chops. While the grill is heating up, marinate in balsamic vinegar salad dressing. Drain & grill. Time is variable: about 5 min for thick chops and about 2-3 min for thin.

Last edited by mizski; 03-15-2009 at 05:50 PM.
mizski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 05:50 PM   #6  
Maintenance May 2011

S/C/G: 312/149/150

Default Dinner: Grilled Tilapia

Spray both sides of a fresh or thawed tilapia fillet with olive oil (or schmear 1 tsp olive oil). Sprinkle with a little lemon pepper, lemon dill pepper or similar seasoning. Grill. Check for doneness after 3 min.

NOTE: PAM cooking spray has silicone in it. I don't care for silicone on my food. Mazola Pur spray is just oil. You can also use a Misto sprayer and use whatever oil you prefer (olive, grapeseed, etc.)

Last edited by mizski; 03-15-2009 at 05:52 PM.
mizski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 11:10 AM   #7  
Counter-Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizski View Post
NOTE: PAM cooking spray has silicone in it. I don't care for silicone on my food. Mazola Pur spray is just oil. You can also use a Misto sprayer and use whatever oil you prefer (olive, grapeseed, etc.)
I use PAM's organic olive oil spray. It's actually got nothing more than olive oil and the propellant that's in every aerosol cooking spray. Nothing more. I like it, and it's inexpensive. Plus it's organic, which is cool, too.

My mom has one of those pump sprayers, which is cool, but I haven't gotten one yet. Maybe one of these days. Probably better, but for now I'm okay with the store-bought.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:32 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 307.2/249.4/150.0

Height: 5 feet 4

Just the other day I made a stuffed French toast sandwich on my Foreman: 2 slices of Sara Lee brown sugar-cinnamon bread, spread with cream cheese (Bruegger's Vermont maple flavor: limited time only), dip in Egg Beater and grill, top with no-sugar-added blueberry jam
ANOther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 01:08 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 255/230/150

Height: 5'2"

Thanks to this handy little grill its so much easier for me to make low cal meals.

I do not need any sort of oil or spray, just toss on your chicken breasts, boca burgers, hot dogs (turkey of course, they taste so good grilled!), shrimp, bell peppers, asparagus, onion slices, and they cook with minimal effort. Even celery tastes good grilled.

I typically buy a large family/economy size package of chicken breasts, take them home and separate them into single ziploc bags. This saves money and makes it easy to grab a single breast for dinner.

Bell peppers can be sliced up and then stored in a container in the fridge and then you can just grill them as needed.

Add seasonings for variety and you can have a different flavor each night.

Happy Grilling!
Razorcandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 10:37 AM   #10  
Failure is NOT an Option

S/C/G: 266.1/Ticker/190

Height: 5'9

WoW all the healthy eating and cooking being done on this site and im sorta surprised this thread is not anything more than 5 pages long with ideas.... I have none but have that grill and been wondering how can I use it since ppl used to rant and rave about the greatness of the George Foreman Grill.
PrincessKinaNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:37 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 151/145/125

Height: 5'6

I like grilling asparagus on my GF grill. I usually toss the trimmed asparagus in a ziplock bag with some salt, pepper, olive oil & herb de provence, and let it marinate it for 5-10 mins. It takes no more than 5-6 mins once it is on the grill.

Note: If you are grilling meat or fish on your GF grill, make sure that you grill the asparagus first.
nina125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:54 AM   #12  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKinaNY View Post
WoW all the healthy eating and cooking being done on this site and im sorta surprised this thread is not anything more than 5 pages long with ideas.... I have none but have that grill and been wondering how can I use it since ppl used to rant and rave about the greatness of the George Foreman Grill.
I had a GF grill that I used off and on but after not using it for 2 years, I gave it away. I think there are lots of good ways to cook low fat meals without a GF grill and for me, it just took up space in my kitchen.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 07:39 PM   #13  

I thought about giving mine away, but I moved into a house that doesn't have a stove yet, and it has become at least temporarily invaluable!

Cleaning tip: after you finish cooking but before you eat, layer water-soaked paper towels in the hot (unplugged) grill. Close it and let it steam while you're eating. When you are done, easy clean-up!

The last thing I made in mine was tuna patties. I read somewhere (but haven't tried) that you can grill fruit on it, too. Yum.
Hyacinth is offline   Reply With Quote