Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 03-14-2009, 02:41 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 183/172/140

Height: 5'5''

Default Wonderful Seasonings I'd Like to Share

I was just thinking how a few seasonings I've come to depend on have helped me to lose weight because they transform low-cal fare into a delectable feast, at least in my estimation. I'd like to share them with you and I'm hoping to be introduced to other products and even recipes, as well. Spicy vegetable recipes, please! First, Olivier Balsamic Vinegar, available from Williams-Sonoma is heavenly, and everyone I have introduced it to concurs. None of us can ever go back... Then, Simply Organic Garlic Salt is crazy good, I use it on cherry tomatoes for snacking and especially in soups. I use it in nearly everything, actually, it really makes a meal a treat for me. And then, Great American Land & Cattle Co. Steak'n'Meat Seasoning: We use it on meat, chicken, and fish and it is another product where if I don't have it on hand I just won't eat meat, chicken, or fish. It is available online. I just Foreman-ed catfish for lunch seasoned with it, it was so good. I use a Trader Joe's hot pepper sauce, but I'd love other hot sauce options. Any other great stuff out there?
shrinkingviolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 03:06 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 255/see tracker/180

Height: 5 ft 7 in

I like flavored vinegars, fresh ground pepper.
jademarlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 04:48 PM   #3  
Priscatip

Height: 5' 6"

I put McCormick's Spicy Steak grill seasoning on absolutely everything - meat, chicken, fish, roasted veggies, roasted beans. I use Huy Fong Sambal Oelek Chili Paste in a lot of soups, asian dishes, marinades or even just straight on chicken and fish (use sparingly - a little goes a long way). I live in Texas, and I don't know if this is available everywhere, but in my grocery they have little packets of different chili powders and Mexican spices. I use them all the time. All of that is spicy stuff - I also love my Herbs de Provence with lavender on chicken or in breads - that smell is intoxicating.
Priscatip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 11:27 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 183/172/140

Height: 5'5''

That chili paste sounds good, thanks.
shrinkingviolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 11:53 AM   #5  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Thank you shrinking violet. I agree--love seasonings on everything. I experiment with all sorts of things--cumin, fresh cilantro, fresh mint and basil, different salsas.

I also love balsamic vinegar on my salads in place of dressing. I also like the salad spritzers. When I go out I put one in my purse because I don't trust restaurants.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 01:48 PM   #6  

I make a lot of spice mixes from spices I have on hand. (All of these recipes can be found with a google search): Julia Child Spice (for meats), mixed sweet spice, beau monde seasoning (kind of like an Old Bay seasoning), garam masala, Greek spice.

I love flavored balsamic vinegars, like blueberry balsamic. I use them to marinate vegetables before roasting (with a little garlic and olive oil), and I marinate portabella mushrooms before grilling them to add to a sandwich.

I also love sauces, especially spicy ones: sri racha (that crazy-hot rooster sauce), tiger sauce, etc.
Hyacinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 05:59 PM   #7  
Starting Again

S/C/G: 280/272/160

Height: 5'8"

I love Adobo seasoning, Texas Pete hot sauce on everything (even popcorn), Jerk seasoning for beef and chicken (it's a little strong for fish), and the ever present garlic.
Iheartsushi418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 07:42 PM   #8  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Smoked Spanish paprika. I am suddenly in love with Smoked Spanish paprika. On roasted cauliflower. On baked fish.

I'm ashamed to admit why I like it: It's like a really sophisticated version of the red spicy powder sprinkled on barbeque potato chips.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote