Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 03-14-2009, 01:40 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 160/142/125

Height: 5'7"

Unhappy Stoping Triggers

Hi. I have been trying several diets for the last few months. More like different styles of eating. I cut carbs for a time, counted calories, right now I am just trying to balance it out as much as I can. But I keep getting cravings, mostly at night and in the afternoon in college and it's almost an uncontrollable need for chocolate or sugar. So I end up hitting the vending machines (the only healthy alternative of eating in the college has run out of snacks by this time usually) or at night I hit the fridge and end up binging slowly on things like cookies and stuff (I eat one...then another...then I say one more wont hurt, you get the deal). I live with both my parents and younger sister and I can't really ask them to not buy sweets and stuff, I don't want to be selfish and cut of everyone. Also I drink a diet coke, even if it is usually one or two at most per day, I read that they might actually up the craving more sugar which might explain the times of the cravings. I want to try and give them up for more healthy alternatives. I am even considering cutting of the chocolate milk in the morning even if it has ended up being part of breakfast if not I feel like something is missing ( maybe more reason to stop). To end this here, anyone have any suggestions on alternatives or any experience of recovering chocoholics and sugar withdrawal and all that?
endora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 10:41 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 217 /*/140

Height: 5'5"

ok let me explain to you the reason for the sugar/fatty foods. You are in college...you are stressed...you are releasing stress hormones...dieting especially eating low fat diets...causes you to be unable to keep up with the demand to produce these stress hormones which are made up of cholesterol which is fat...under times of stress...the body gets pretty demanding...you can even go into a period called "gluconeogenesis". this is where the body takes EVERYTHING..and anything and turns it into glucose....for the "fight or flight response"...the reason why you gain weight is because your body can not use all that glucose and it is stored as fat...

You have to get that adrenaline out...I very much recommend a physical activity when you are stressed....

I am the same type of binger....stress causes me to reach for potato chips..and chocolate milk...I find if I recognize I have been triggered and say it to myself...THEN stay away from the kitchen and drink either my green tea or water...as well as do some small muscle building type movement...I can get over the stress craving...when you walk to class...I recommend speed walking..and really pounding the pavement...this releases oxytocin and you will get what feels like a little high--that is from the oxytocin release "which is a feel good hormone"

also you need to feed your body some good fats...I take coconut oil...as well as use olive oil on alot of my foods...another thing...make sure whenever you eat a carb meal it is balanced with a protein to keep blood sugar steady...

blood sugar spikes and insulin spikes--cause out of control eating..

Another thing, if you like pickles or vinegary foods--since my friend's are diabetics and sometimes have a hard time paying for their insulin...I looked up medical research on things proven to keep blood sugar levels steady..one thing was vinegar. I give him my apple cider vinegar pills...and sure enough he needed half the amount of insulin...also CHROMIUM and cinnamon...

about the diet coke--I dislike very much the poisons they call "sugar substitute". I have a couple of friend's who are diabetic and refuse to give up their sugar subsitute colas and ANYTIME..they drink that stuff their sugar goes well up to 400...this is because the body has a safety mechanism...ANYTIME anything perceived as sweet hits your tastebuds you have an insulin response...therefore...you will crave sugar...the higher the insulin response..the higher the need for sugar...

There is A GREAT book...called the carbohydrate addict's diet...that explains this in a clear way...I don't use the book anymore...but it was a basis for understanding for me...

Trust me! I am a chocoholic...AND a sugar addict...

One thing I experimented with because my cycles started to go whacky was taking progesterone (balances hormones) cream after I ovulated and taking a herb called schisandra adrenal complex...I HAD NO CHOCOLATE cravings...at all...I actually was repulsed by it...

we are all different..but I do recommend the schisandra because it does support the adrenals which are the source of stress hormones...

I hope this post was helpful..hope you do welll in school..sorry if it was long winded...
jendiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 12:19 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 48/45/20

Height: 5'2"

Jendiet...I was reading about Schisandra and it sounds really interesting. What I read says it has antidepressant qualities, as well as help for insomnia. Did you notice a difference in these types of issues at all? I have serious sleep problems and am always looking for some aid.
jennygirl531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 02:00 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 217 /*/140

Height: 5'5"

yes! I did...as a matter of fact...the adrenal glands are cyclic...and one of the things that TOLD me I was heading for adrenal fatigue..is I fell into the pattern...about 3 pm...I would start getting tired..this would last until 5pm...I would hit a second wind...AND then...from 5pm on til about 10 pm...I would get sleepy..if I didn't go to sleep...exactly at 10pm...it was like a jolt would go through my body..and I would stay up until 2-3 am...then I would finally get sleepy again..and go to bed..

This is the common pattern for adrenal fatigue...and causes mad insomnia..I take 3mg melatonin as well...be careful if you are particularly moody though because melatonin is produced on dark dismal days...and it's counterbalance is serotonin which is light induced...

when taking the schisandra...I got sleepy at 10 pm..and the sleepiness increased and I was in bed by 11pm..

So I think schisandra would be very beneficial for you! I took the complex called Shisandra adrenal complex.
jendiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 04:01 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 222/195/140

Height: 5.5

Hi Endora,

I know exactly what you are going through. I am on the Carbohydrate Addict's Diet, and I don't know how I survived for twenty years without it. No, I do! I was steadily succumbing to wilder and wilder sugar cravings. I find that even following the food plan to the letter doesn't reduce the cravings when I have PMS. That I'm working on. There's lots of good advice here.

I find that when my late afternoon craving inevitably hits, I sometimes have a slice of low-carb (like rye) toast with a high-quality jam. That way, I'm getting a carbo fix, but it's a slow-burning carb, the fibre helps fill me up. Other times, I have a "green smoothie", which is some fruit and greens, like spinach. You barely taste the veg, but you're getting fibre and nutrients and the sweetness. I got that from a book by Victoria Boutenko.

Something else I personally find is that I get worse late-PM cravings when I'm not eating enough - so make sure yo have a balanced lunch with lots of protein and fibre. And check out CAD and CALP! They are lifesavers for people like us.

Hang in there, it takes a LOT of experimentation to get the right mix for you!
BTW, that is an AWESOME pic - the two most gorgeous guys in LOTR! Right on!
fat fairy is offline   Reply With Quote