PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 03-13-2009, 01:37 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 221/ticker!/145

Height: 5'4

Default Spironolactone... Results?

So on Tuesday, my doc decides we should try the Spiro to see if I get any results. Maybe I'm just imagining things, but I could swear that the hair follicle roots on my legs are lighter...

My question to you guys, is if you are taking Spiro, how long have you been taking it, and how long did it take for you to notice results? Also, the side effects my doc warned me about (excessive bathroom use) has been almost non-existant for me... I'm on 50 mg right now, but if all goes well, my dosage will be upped in a month. Is it possible that the higher dosage of Spiro has more of the side effects?

Thanks ladies for your advice!

Last edited by blissclaire; 03-13-2009 at 01:37 AM.
blissclaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:27 AM   #2  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Well it doesn't work overnight- I believe it takes months to see any change (like 6 months on average according to my doctor). I took 25 mg for two years with NO difference at all. When I asked my doctor if we should up the dosage she said no and so I was like well then I'm not taking this anymore- since then I have stopped and the funny thing is after about 6 weeks of being off of it I feel like my hair IS growing slower now! I don't know how that's possible but I'll take it.

I'm just going to get my excess hair lazer removed and move on with my life lol.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:38 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 221/ticker!/145

I WISH that I had the money to get it laser-removed! It would make life easier!!

You would think that since it is part of the condition, that maybe with a doctor's note it would be covered by insurance.... Hey, I might try that just to see!! lol
blissclaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 05:34 PM   #4  
Junk Food Junkie

S/C/G: 228/218/145

Height: 5'9

I've been taking 300mg for approx. 18 months with no side effects. With that said, according to my Drs it takes awhile (several months) for results. Also the hair that is there isnt going away, that follicule has already developed and has been stimulated. It will stop *new* hair growth. Hair already growing will need to be lasered etc. Cant say it did much for my facial hair as apparently my folicules have already been awake & kicking for years LOL

If I dont take it, I have awful cystic acne, with the meds my face is clear.
HTH
lizzyloulou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 05:43 PM   #5  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

PFT lucky! My doctor put me on 25 mg then refused to up it, said it was "high enough" already. I was like omg whatever lol.

Oh I'm not rich to afford laser either lol- but my friend spend 5 grand and got her legs and stuff done- I just want my chin done! That has to be much cheaper lol. And I believe you can pay per session

Last edited by beerab; 03-13-2009 at 05:44 PM.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 11:59 AM   #6  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Height: 5'4"

I am on Yaz and spiro(200) x 8 months and just recently I became very aware that all my body hair has greatly decreased in thickness and prevalence.

Do any of you chicks have thinning scalp hair? I do. About 2 months ago I started minoxidil and may may be seeing some results.

Last edited by kittycat40; 03-23-2009 at 12:00 PM.
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 10:52 PM   #7  

I've been on Spironolactone since 2003. I only shave my legs once or twice a week now and my underarms too since the hair just doesn't grow anymore. I was a hairy legged girl when I was young too. The other day I noticed that the hair on my forearm is just about gone too. I will take Spirono as long as my doctor allows me to because I've never had any side effects. I take 50 mgs twice a day.
Carilynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 12:12 PM   #8  
Trying so hard....

S/C/G: 298/298/145

Height: 5'7"

I just got put on this for facial hair. My hair on myhead has been thinning and getting more frail and fine......I didnt know it could be from pcos, I hope the spiro helps with that as well as the facial hair.
MugCanDoIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 01:32 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 160/153/130

Height: 5'4"

I've been taking 50 mgs of spiro for about a year now. I used to have to shave my legs every couple of days, but now I can go 2 weeks without even worrying about it. I have a few hairs on my chin I pluck every few days, but it's much less noticeable now; I honestly think that might be all in my head and there's nothing there to see, but I still pluck for the sake of my sanity. My mother also commented that the hair on my head is thicker, although it was never that bad to begin with. (I've been really lucky that way.)

I do have to add, though, that I think Metformin made a bigger difference for me than the spiro. Within three months of taking it, it turned all the dark hair on my arms blonde. I also had some dark peach fuzz on my lip that I bleached, but Met turned that blonde too. The first time I visited my mother after beginning it, she couldn't stop talking about what a difference 3 months had made.
canadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 01:01 AM   #10  

I was just put on this today for facial hair and male pattern baldness (pcos), so don't worry, you aren't crazy if you think your body hair is thinning! This drug works on aldosterone receptors, responsible for telling the body to release hormones to waste water. The release of aldosterone coincidentally works on other hormones, such as testosterone. It tells the body to stop releasing it in such high amounts, therefore the estrogen takes over and allows your head hair follicles to start working again, and prevents you from growing a beard and reduces other areas of unsightly hair. I'm excited to see if it works, and if it has the added benefit of weight loss! It's strange, taking a medication for its side effects!
FieldBoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:35 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 278/268/170

Height: 5'9

I am on 50 mg x 2 a day. I would say about 1 to 2 months is when I noticed the real difference, where hair everywhere just stopped growing. Even on my arms, I used to have the very dark hair and now it is completely blonde. I haven't noticed any added weight loss from it though. I've only noticed weight loss after stopping birth control.
hydro46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:12 AM   #12  
Carb Addict

S/C/G: 290/290/180

Height: 5'6"

I was on 200 MG for 2 years and unforgettably it didn't stop, slow or anything to do with facial hair. What did shop for me was changing my progesterone and regular BC. After getting those hormones regulated, my facial hair takes forever to grow back. But a good waxing helps. My facial hair is coarse so I can't use regular wax.
Tigerlvr52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:41 PM   #13  

Question Distraught

I went on Spiro & BC in summer of 2011 to treat my super oily skin and hair growth due to PCOS, For the next three months the symptoms got WORSE! I kept sticking it out with this regimen bc I knew it could take months but there were times I was ashamed to leave my house. The acne and oil got so bad, and the acne was cystic and scarring- which I have never experienced before in my life. I eventually came off of both the BC and the spiro after about 7-10 months. Now my skin looks aged... bigger pores, very oily, constant breakouts although not cystic any longer, lots of pit like scars.

My dr wants me to try spiro again or see a derm. I'm scared to try spiro again as it feels like it made things worse, & I am afraid derms treat problems topically from the outside in... with PCOS obviously hormones are more the issue and it needs to be treated from the inside out.

I feel so ugly and at 28 my skin looks 40 and hideous. I didn't look this ragged during puberty.

Any suggestions? Has spiro actually worked for any of you?
LBoogie04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:50 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 167/re-start:153/ticker/125

Spiro has been working well for me.

I was put on it because of PCOS, though I've never had significant amounts of body/facial hair, when I get stressed, sometimes my hair will thin and I will lose clumps here and there (nothing too terrible in the last 2 years, thankfully). I also had some acne, and a few lbs that I couldn't get rid of.

Initially it made me feel dizzy, paranoid, sick to my stomach, etc. But after about a week, that went away. Since being on it, my skin has improved, body hair has thinned, and I haven't had any problems with the hair on my head (though, honestly this hasn't been a problem in a while). I also lost about 4 lbs, in the first week and a half.

I'm on 100mg twice a day, and thus far it's been working. I'm also on progesterone cream and BC, and the combo seems to be a positive mix for me.
seize the day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 10:25 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBoogie04 View Post
I went on Spiro & BC in summer of 2011 to treat my super oily skin and hair growth due to PCOS, For the next three months the symptoms got WORSE! I kept sticking it out with this regimen bc I knew it could take months but there were times I was ashamed to leave my house. The acne and oil got so bad, and the acne was cystic and scarring- which I have never experienced before in my life. I eventually came off of both the BC and the spiro after about 7-10 months. Now my skin looks aged... bigger pores, very oily, constant breakouts although not cystic any longer, lots of pit like scars.

My dr wants me to try spiro again or see a derm. I'm scared to try spiro again as it feels like it made things worse, & I am afraid derms treat problems topically from the outside in... with PCOS obviously hormones are more the issue and it needs to be treated from the inside out.

I feel so ugly and at 28 my skin looks 40 and hideous. I didn't look this ragged during puberty.

Any suggestions? Has spiro actually worked for any of you?
I have extremely oily skin and hair so bad that I would have to wash my face every couple of hours and sometimes wash my hair 2 times a day. My clothes would be stained from the oil. I have been on spironolactone for 3 weeks the first week I noticed a huge difference. My skin is still a little oily but not nearly as bad as before.
Mommyandgrandmaof2 is offline   Reply With Quote