Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 03-03-2009, 05:49 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 150/143/115

Height: 61 inches

Default Migraine Binging

I have a problem with binging after I get a migraine. It's pretty bad. Like last sunday, I had a horrific migraine that I think was caused by the pressure changes from that nasty storm. So I don't eat a lot during the migraine... but once it's gone, I go on a snacking frenzy. It's like all my energy is gone and I just can't help but eat everything that sounds good, and my stomach like never gets full. It wouldn't be so bad... except I get on average 2-3 migraines a week, so it can really screw up my eating habits. The bad thing is I feel I deserve the food because of all of the pain I went through. I need to stop this but I can't think of how. Does anyone else have this problem with migraines causing you to overeat?
Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 07:58 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 284/207/165

Height: 5 ft 3

Oh, yes, yes, yes! I really struggle with food as a reward, I "deserve" good food for going through a migraine. While I have a migraine, I'm physically nauseated and food makes me sick to even think about it. Then, I have no problem eating to make up for the day I lost with a headache, and then some.
I went through a phase back in Oct-Nov-Dec when I had a migraine nearly every day, and had to force myself to eat. Then I went to the doctor and got a prescription for Amitryptolene for 6 months, and after I got my head on right, I gained about 14 lbs in 4 weeks from the binging.

Caffeine is supposed to help with migraines too, but I'm trying to eliminate caffeine so my migraines in the last couple months have been miserable, but fortunately I've only had 3 since the beginning of January. I'm on a low-carb diet, so toast and things like that are not really on-plan for me. I usually end up with insane cravings for carbs and just gritting my teeth to not give in.
pengbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 08:26 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 150/143/115

Height: 61 inches

Oh good, as much as I don't wish this on anyone, I'm kinda glad I'm not alone haha! I really need to go to a doctor about these and try and get medicine, but I'm against mood enhancing drugs, and I'm afraid of seizure medicine, so I know it may be a bit harder to find something that will work for me.

It's just the cravings after them that suck a lot. After mine on sunday I ate my dinner which was a pulled pork sandwich and a crapload of parmesan broccoli. Then I had a whole bag of popcorn finished in five minutes, a whole row of oreos, and then cheez its, and I STILL wasn't full and was STILL craving food. I don't even know how it's possible to fit all that food into my tummy, and then want even more lol! Wow looking back on that, I must get carb cravings as well haha.

I don't drink caffeine much anymore, only occasionally when I go out. But when I've got a drill slamming into my head, I'll sip on a soda. Especially a regular coke cause I always heard the sugar can help a lot too if the migraine is caused by low blood sugar levels.

But I think my biggest problem is that I deserve the food. Maybe I have to find something else I deserve... but food is so awesome lol.

Anyway congrats on your weightloss pengbear! I hope I can have that much success! And I hope your migraines get better... they are definitely no fun at all.
Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 09:11 PM   #4  
Keep on Keepin' ON

S/C/G: 190/179/150

Height: 5'3"

I had chronic migraines for over a year and I still get at least 3 a week. I don't drink much caffeine, particularly since I started my new WOL but trust me...Caffeine HELPS. Try a can of diet coke during a migraine.

As for "rewards" give yourself a de-stressor...try getting a massage or something that will help your body feel better. I find that that really helps with the "I deserve something" attitude. And trust me, I agree that after a full on migraine you do deserve something to make yourself feel better...just make the "thing" not food related. A massage, a song from iTunes, an extra long phone call with someone you love, something that will make you feel like it's a "reward" for surviving.

I hope that helps! Feel better and know you are NOT alone in terms of evil migraines.

Oh also Bear: Ask your doctor about Topamax. It is a preventative and while it is a seizure med it has a relatively low impact on you. I found it really helped with the migraines but didn't effect me in any other ways...except one...you ready for it? Studies show that most people lose up to 15% of their body weight while taking Topamax...without dieting. I guess that's God's way of cutting us some slack despite the heinous headaches.

All the love!
~Sidheag

Last edited by Sidheag; 03-03-2009 at 09:13 PM.
Sidheag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 01:32 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 179/150/140

Height: 5'7

Are you sure you're eating enough regularly?

My boyfriend doesn't have a kitchen, so 90% of the meals he gets delivery. In order to save money to tends to eat about 2 really big meals a day, where as I am a 'grazer' and like to have lots of smaller meals periodically. When ever I spent a week at his house, every couple days I would get a TERRIBLE migraine, followed by inhaling everything in sight. We figured out it was because I wasn't eating enough. I hadn't adapted to his '2 big meals a day', I was grabbing a small snack really like I would normally have at my house - so really I was having '2 small snacks a day'. The migraines were my body's way of telling me to eat more!

If you've recently been adjusting how much you eat during the day, the migraines could be a result of you not eating enough. And the binging after is because subconsciously your body knows how to take care of itself and it needs more fuel.
Hypra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 09:39 PM   #6  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

I can no longer use my remedy, as I am now allergic to aspirin, but what worked for me is this. Take 4 aspirin, and put them in a bit of water, stir it up. Drink down. DO this at the FIRST sign of a migraine. Soluable asa gets into the blood stream very quickly and works quickly. I have friends who also swear by advil liquidgels probably same theory.
(I am allergic to advil too unfortunately)
I am starting to get migraines again, (had them as a teen but outgrew them) but getting them again with menopause starting. Having to give up chocolate, it looks like.....
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:50 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 217 /*/140

Height: 5'5"

actually, the onset of a migraine CAUSES me to binge...like I think eating something will get rid of it???
jendiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:59 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 255/see tracker/180

Height: 5 ft 7 in

Quote:
Originally Posted by jendiet View Post
actually, the onset of a migraine CAUSES me to binge...like I think eating something will get rid of it???

This is what I experience also, I actually call them hunger headaches. Thank God they do not happen that often, all I want to do when I have one is eat till Im ready to explode and then find a dark quiet room to lay down in.
jademarlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:07 PM   #9  

Default re:

yeah, pretty much that is what I go through...

then you got to lay there miserable...with your tummy hurting with all the crap that couldn't get rid of the migraine..and THEN the migraine makes you sick...

do you experience that when you throw up your migraine gets better? almost 90% of the time mine does?
Old 03-13-2009, 12:08 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 253/228/145

Height: 5'7"

There are so many of us that suffer with these migraines. After 10 years of this I know caffeine is my friend. I don't eat much either while I am in pain it messes up my digestive track too. I try to have only "good for me" things in the house so when I can and want to eat I have better choices. I like fudge cycles 2 WW points they are frozen hard and last longer for me and are less expensive then "Diet" ice creams. A baked potato with fat free sour cream. I love to make a sandwich with a low point whole wheat bread 1 laughing cow cheese wedge and one tab. jam 3 points and very palatable when I am feeling yucky.
I hope they find a cure for us because the meds for migraines are really hard on are bodies.
I have had botox twice it was great.
shrinking me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 02:30 PM   #11  

my migraines are definitely cyclical..I get them with the start and ending of my menstrual period...

just one more thing hormones mess with!