Old 03-03-2009, 11:29 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 322/172/160

Height: 5'8"

Default Any other Paleolithic/Neanderthin folks here?

Just wanted to see if any of you had switched over to a Paleo lifestyle?

I lost a bit over 100lbs on low carb when I heard about the Paleolithic way. I went Paleo in August (08) and am just loving it! Anybody else on it seen the incredible side benefits? I'm just stunned, lol.

I have lost abt 40lbs on Paleo since August and need to lose about 20 more.

Wanna be stone age buddies?
MrsEvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 05:22 PM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I'm not on a fully Paleo diet, but I've read several of the ancestral diet themed books, and they greatly influenced the plan I developed for myself. I follow a low carb exchange plan, and while I can and do fit some modern foods (and pseudofoods) into my plan, I try to make better choices than that (and usually do). My goal is to make mostly food choices that my ancestors would recognize, and the further back I can go the better.

Last edited by kaplods; 03-03-2009 at 05:23 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:48 AM   #3  

That sounds great and it seems to be working well for you judging by your ticker!

I've never read any of the books, just researched what paleo man (probably) ate, and the general evolutionary theory - that our bodies aren't evolved yet to cope with the modern foods (much less FrankenFoods!)

I think I love it so much because of how great it makes me feel. I've been an overweight, MISERABLE dieter my whole life. Suddenly I'm skinnier and actually enjoying eating. ::
Old 03-04-2009, 08:51 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 213/213/150

I've never heard of this.
Where can I find more info?

Wow! Ya'lls weight loss is awesome!!!
Oh 2 be me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:09 AM   #5  

I don't know if I can post links ... but just Google "Paleolithic diet" (ro neanderthin or cave man or stone age followed by diet)

There have been a few books written PaleoDiet by Cordain and NeanderThin by Audette. i have NOT read either, but from what I've heard I don't agree with them. I think they both tout lean meats (Which I DON'T follow) and Cordain talks about athletes carb loading (!!!) before exercise. That's just bunk, IMHO.

Simply put, the theory is that we ate a certain way for 2 million years before the advent of agriculture and we have only been eating grains, potatoes, legumes, modern sugar-bomb fruits, nightshades, dairy, sugar, etc, etc for 10,000 years or less and our bodies just haven't evolved to handle them.

So basically *I* eat: MEAT - the fatter the better, EGGS, non-starchy, non Nightshade VEGGIES.

I also eat a v. small amt of dairy but that's my non-paleo choice, lol.

And OMG, I have sooooo much energy! And I'm actually stuffed full for hours after a meal and don't get any cravings. It's wonderful for me.

When I reach my goal weight I'll add nuts, seeds, and v. low sugar fruits. Those are Paloe but just on hold while I'm "dieting".
Old 03-04-2009, 10:25 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 245/218/165

Height: 5'9"

Hello

I will google Paleolithic diet when I am done... but just a quick question. Do you get to eat any veggies with your meals? What is an average dinner for you? or lunch? Thanks a bunch
Ms Fluffernutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:14 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Fluffernutter View Post
Hello

I will google Paleolithic diet when I am done... but just a quick question. Do you get to eat any veggies with your meals? What is an average dinner for you? or lunch? Thanks a bunch
Sure, you can eat any veg you like except starches (like corn and potatoes which are NOT veg anyway)! Stricter Paleos don't eat Nightshades at all (I don't) or cucurbits.

My typical breakfast: country style bacon or 2 pork chops or bacon and sausage, plus 2 eggs.

Typical meal during the day: 2 hamburger patties or 2 pork chops or a large steak or 2 pieces of chicken - fried (no breading) in bacon grease or baked -(skin on) plus a salad w/ veg & real bacon bits or steamed broccoli w/ real butter or collards/cabbage/spinach

The meals make you v. full (not uncomfortably so) because you ONLY eat when you are hungry, not at "set" times (so no 'anticipating that next meal'), and you eat as much as it takes to fill you up. I stay full for SO long and have so much energy, now. I also have no cravings. If I DO get the urge for a snack I munch on bacon or pork rinds/cracklins.

I used to weigh over 300 lbs. I ate because there was food in the house. I thought about food ALL DAY. Now I don;t think about it at all until my belly rumbles ... then I nom, nom, nom! ::LOL::

HTH!
Old 03-04-2009, 11:29 AM   #8  

Sometimes paleo diets are criticized for being too low carb, or containing too much meat (and thus incompatible with vegetarianism), but not all of the ancestor diets argue that our ancestors ate much meat at all. I'm not sure if it was Neanderthin (but I think so) that discusses several modern aboriginal diets that the author believes are very close to paleolithic diets - and they run the gamut from almost exclusively vegetarian to almost exclusively meat, but what they do not contain is large amounts of grains or large quantities of very sweet fruits (fruits don't stay on the trees long enough in the wild to get very sweet, you've got to compete with all of the other fruit-loving critters, so you eat them at the beginning of ripeness, not at the peak).

There is a lot of controversy still about the "ancestor" approaches, because we probably don't have nearly as much information as we should regarding what our ancestors ate and how it impacted upon their health. Paleolithic humans, and modern aboriginal peoples did not and do not have extraordinary lifespans, mostly they die fairly young, because it's a rough life.

Also, we tend to ignore the parts of our ancestor's diets that we don't like. For example, our ancestors (heck, even only a few hundred years ago), included a quite significant amount of insects and organ meats.

Still, there's very good evidence that our "modern diet," generally does us no favors.

Last edited by kaplods; 03-09-2009 at 01:05 PM.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:50 AM   #9  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Hmm, I keep telling everyone I'm on a very strict version of Atkins Induction but it really sounds like I am on THIS WOE. I am going to go read up on it.
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:47 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 222/195/140

Height: 5.5

Hi all,
It sounds like a low-carb diet to me! Which from everything I've read, is the closest way to eating from ancient times (especially when competing with bears for fruit, ya) that doesn't overload the human system with glucose.

But what I'm wondering is... how much frying and cooking did Paleolithic humans ever do?!? I expect they ate meat raw much of the time.
fat fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 12:14 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

My doctor suggested I follow a diet from a book called Dr. Gundry's Diet Evolution. It in a lot of ways mimics the paleo way of eating however it slowly reduces your meat intake while increasing more vegetables. It touts a lot of nuts and berries and no grains at all. I think the hardest thing I have (had--because I'm not currently on it) is the lack of grains. I can go a couple weeks without grains and then get a full out craving for them and tend to the go overboard. While I may return to the diet in order to re-lose the weight I've recently gained, I don't think I could follow this kind of diet for life.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 12:30 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

My diet has probably always been closer to paleo than most (fewer processed foods), but it wasn't until recently that I've started to focus on redressing the omega-3/omega-6 balance in my diet. It seems that we evolved eating a diet much richer in omega-3s (from leafy greens as well as fish) and sparser in corn/soy/etc (and meats/eggs fattened from such feed -- even farmed salmon!). Here's an article I found recently that discusses the potential magnitude of the problem...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29104695/
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 01:17 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat fairy View Post
Hi all,
It sounds like a low-carb diet to me! Which from everything I've read, is the closest way to eating from ancient times (especially when competing with bears for fruit, ya) that doesn't overload the human system with glucose.

But what I'm wondering is... how much frying and cooking did Paleolithic humans ever do?!? I expect they ate meat raw much of the time.
Raw Food diets (both those that include meat, and those that are vegan) are one subset of ancestor diets. The 80/10/10 diet is "fruitarian," arguing that humans are physiologically designed to eat primarily fruit and greens. Unfortunately it neglects to point out that our other fruitarian primate cousins include a fair number of insects in the diet, both intentionally eaten and incidentally eaten (because they're in or on the fruit and vegetation that are eaten).

It's unlikely that any modern human is going to successfully imitate a true paleolithic diet (or even that of modern-day aborigines still living an ancestral lifestyle). We can't dismiss the role of exercise - having to catch your food before eating it. It is theorized by some, for example, that originally, only the most fit males regularly ate meat. "Sharing" meat may have come later. Also, we tend to dismiss or overlook what we consider unpalatable (like eating insects, which I wouldn't want to even consider in the modern world, not only due to squeamishness, but because of the amount of pesticides insects in the US ingest). Cooking of course is a question. How much and to what degree did ancient man prepare and cook their food? Does cooking change the nutritional profile of food (we know that sometimes the answer is significantly, and others "not so much," and for some nutrients, cooking actually improves the nutrient profile).

I will say that I've been more open to raw and barely cooked foods (even meat) since reading on paleolithic diets.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:50 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoma View Post
My diet has probably always been closer to paleo than most (fewer processed foods), but it wasn't until recently that I've started to focus on redressing the omega-3/omega-6 balance in my diet. It seems that we evolved eating a diet much richer in omega-3s (from leafy greens as well as fish) and sparser in corn/soy/etc (and meats/eggs fattened from such feed -- even farmed salmon!). Here's an article I found recently that discusses the potential magnitude of the problem...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29104695/
THANK YOU for this link! What a fab article! I am posting this on my diet blog TODAY.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:03 AM   #15  
Princess in gym training

S/C/G: 228/190/130

Height: 5'9"

I did atkins a few years ago and lost 20 lbs but I quit because I missed my fruits and veggies too much and it was making me crazy. I can't remember how I found out about Paleo diets but I am trying to do it again. I think I am literally addicted to carbs so it is hard for me but I have found these sites very helpful
http://www.earth360.com/diet_paleodiet_balzer.html
http://paleodiet.com/
http://www.healingcrow.com/dietsmain/paleo/paleo.html
http://www.thepaleodiet.com/
http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=107
http://www.karlloren.com/diet/p116.htm
BellaDiva is offline   Reply With Quote