South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 01-01-2009, 12:07 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 214/210/164

Height: 5'0"

Default It's 2009; What Are You Reading?

Can you believe that it's that time again?! I can't! It's not technically 2009 here, but DH is busy saving the world playing Call of Duty, so I thought I'd get our thread started.

There was a lot of diverse reading last year between us SB chicks and I love that! It definitely helps me branch out into genres that I probably wouldn't read on my own.

So what book is taking you into 2009?

I'm still working on Ex-Libris by Ross King. I started it in Austin two weeks ago and just couldn't get into it. I'm liking it better now, but the beginning was a little slow. I figured it would be right up my alley since it's main character is a bibliophile and antiquarian in 17th century London, but it just doesn't have any teeth. Does that make any sense? Oh well. I'll stick with it a few more nights and see how it goes. I may move on if it doesn't pick up.

I've decided to start three devotionals. Now, before anyone gets concerned; they're all "paragraph-a-day" devotionals and I'll be reading one in the morning before I even get the coffee going, one at lunch and one before bed. It should constitute about 10 minutes per devotional. This way, if I find one time of day particularly difficult, it won't require learning new habits; I'll already have the other devotional times to fall back on. I look at it like checking in to 3FC a few times a day even if there are no new posts. It will help to keep me focused. My morning devotional is New Day, New You by Joyce Meyer, the lunchtime one is Daily Splashes of Joy by Barbara Johnson and my pre-bedtime one is Voices of the Faithful by Beth Moore and Friends. All three of them are by women I admire and have enjoyed reading in the past.

Well, off to wait the next 53 minutes out! I'm not so sure I'll make it to 12 a.m., but I'll try!

~Kim
Kim_Star060404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 09:19 AM   #2  

I just finished two Danielle Steele books and am now reading her book Sisters. It's light reading which is what I need right now.
Barb0522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 09:42 AM   #3  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

I'm reading The Gifted Gabaldon Sisters. I found it while browsing the book store and am really enjoying it. Also audiobooking (if it wasn't a verb it is now!) Eat for Health. His ideas are interesting though I don't agree with all of it. I'm going to try to integrate some of his eating plan this year though to see if we can move the health issues at home.

For the first time I didn't get any books for Christmas. Usually there is a pile but in the last year exercising has really eaten up the free time that I used for reading so my reading has slowed way down.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 09:46 AM   #4  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Light reading is good. I always grab a Danielle Steele when I travel.

Just finished re-reading The Stone Diaries by Canadian Carole Shields, an excellent read.

When I was away, I read The Boleyn Inheritance which tied in well with The Tudors series that I watched in the fall.

I also read Along Came A Spider, a sort of thriller/detective novel.

Not sure what 2009 will bring to my bookshelf but I did get some Chapters gift cards so......definitely will not buy diet books or cookbooks!
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 12:11 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

I haven't read much in the past two months, since I've been so engrossed in my cross-stitching. I have a stack of books by Debbie Macomber and Nora Roberts that I want to get to, though. They'll help me get through the long dreary months of January and February.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 12:12 PM   #6  
Finding success on beach

Height: 5ft 9"

I just finished a great book, read it in record time, couldn't put it down!! Cross Country by James Patterson.

I started Prospect Street last night (thanks to Laurie's recommendation) and I AM IN LOVE WITH THIS BOOK! Light reading, but the story had me hooked 30 pages into it. I am grabbing every second I can to read more and more. When I started it, I didn't think it was something I would like but promised to give it 50 pages anyway. Boy was I wrong. Different from the thriller/detective books I normally read. Check it out!
OK, off to read more!!

ETA : Forgot to add... I also love this thread. I get great ideas and have a list of books I would like to try, all recommendations off this site.

Last edited by Jenskihere; 01-01-2009 at 12:13 PM.
Jenskihere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 12:59 PM   #7  

Height: 5'3"

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley.
canadianwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 03:18 PM   #8  

I am currently reading The Bonesetter's Daughter by Amy Tan. It is good, although I am not getting through it very quickly.
Kiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 04:11 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 175/156.6/128

I just started the Twilight series. I didn't really think I would like it, but all of my 5th grade girls kept raving about it so I wanted to know what it was about. It is light reading and I have really liked the suspense so far. I have just started New Moon. I should have plenty of time to finish it after surgery tomottow.
murphydoodle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 04:57 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 183/160/130

Height: 5'1.5"

I just finished Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World by Vicki Myron and Bret Witter. It was a great feel good book and a quick read. Next I'm going to read The Secret Life of Bees or My Sister's Keeper.
I love this thread. I'm always looking for new books to read.

ETA: I decided to read My Sister's Keeper yesterday. Great book. I stayed up half the night just to finish it.

Last edited by lightfello; 01-02-2009 at 06:31 PM.
lightfello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 05:05 PM   #11  

S/C/G: Too much/Less/Just Right!

Height: 5'4"

I just finished reading South Beach Diet.

The new Janet Evanovich book Plum Spooky is coming out on Jan 6. I'm too excited! Janet is my favorite!
Chelby29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 05:48 PM   #12  
no longer single

S/C/G: 225/220.5/150

Height: 5'5"

i'm reading a woman after gods own heart...on my road to one of my resolutions
me4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 06:23 PM   #13  

I am starting Deception Point by Dan Brown. Finishing Audition by B Walters and also The Lucky One by Nicholas Sparks.......
Frannie57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 06:25 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelby29 View Post
I just finished reading South Beach Diet.
How does that go?
Old 01-01-2009, 06:27 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frannie57 View Post
I am starting Deception Point by Dan Brown.
I want to read that one when I finish my current book. I would love to know what you think of it when you finish it.